1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The XFL has been cancelled.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Cold Hard, May 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I kinda expected this.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010510/2603.html

World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. WWF Entertainment and NBC to Discontinue XFL

STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 10, 2001--World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE:WWF - news) in conjunction with its joint venture partner, NBC, today announced that it will discontinue its professional football league, the XFL.

The decision was made after determining that the additional investment required to further develop the XFL was not commensurate with the potential return and the risk inherent in pursuing the venture.

``While we believe that it is an extraordinary accomplishment to have created a new professional football league in what amounts to less than a year's time, we feel that it is in the best interests of our shareholders and our partners to discontinue the XFL,'' said Vince McMahon, WWFE Chairman. ``I would personally like to thank the employees of the XFL and WWFE, the XFL fans, our partner NBC and especially Dick Ebersol and his team for their perseverance, support and enthusiasm that did not waiver throughout the season. We are all proud of the creative innovations that we introduced in the production of the game as well as in the rule changes that were implemented to increase the excitement and enjoyment of the game and provide a fan-friendly brand of football.''

Dick Ebersol, Chairman, NBC Sports and Olympics, commented, ``Launching a new football league in such a short period of time was a daunting and exciting challenge, but we gave it our best shot in what clearly is a difficult and challenging sports marketplace. I especially want to salute our partners at the WWF, the fans, players and coaches who created a fun and entertaining XFL in-stadium experience.''

WWFE will report the operations and related costs of discontinuance of the XFL as discontinued operations in its fourth quarter results for the period ended April 30, 2001. The company anticipates that its share of the after-tax cash losses will be approximately $35 million.

A conference call is scheduled for this evening Thursday, May 10, 2001 at 6:30 PM. To access the call please call 1-800-348-6379

Forward-Looking Statements: This news release contains forward-looking statements pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, which are subject to various risks and uncertainties. These risks and uncertainties include the conditions of the markets for live events, broadcast television, cable television, pay-per-view, Internet, food and beverage, entertainment, professional sports, and licensed merchandise; acceptance of the Company's brands, media and merchandise within those markets; uncertainties relating to litigation and other risks and factors set forth from time to time in Company filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Actual results could differ materially from those currently anticipated.

------------------

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

*yawn*

I just wish that Vince McMahon and the XFL would go quietly into the night...

------------------
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Ha-Ha.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

oh, no more He Hate Me aka Rod who? [​IMG]

------------------

5. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The only reason they cancelled next season, was so they could continue their merger with the Dallas Cowboys. [​IMG]

------------------

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

hottoddie -- hysterical!!!

Finally Vince McMahan loses one. I love it, personally!! What happened to, "we'll bring the NFL to its knees", Vince??? Yeah, maybe not.

go texans

------------------

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

McMahon has lost plenty, and that is why I'm getting a good laugh off of this! He tried to start the WBF (World Bodybuilding Federation) and it flamed. He tried to have sports nutrional supplements and that crashed and burned. He tried to get involved in movie productions that flamed, etc., etc. Nothing makes me happier then to see Vincent K. McMahon crash and burn!

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The football wasn't that bad
    but the gimmicks and bad marketing killed it

Rocks2k - How does he stay in bid'ness
    is the WWF that huge a cash cow to support
    the rest of the flops. . . sheesh

Rocket River

------------------

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Who gives a ****

[​IMG]

------------------
    "We make more, but we spend more."
    Patrick Ewing

10. Steve_Francis_rules

This doesn't surprise me at all.

------------------

11. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Wow, who saw this happening [​IMG]

------------------
    Houston Chronicle:
    He sat with his teammate and buddy Cuttino Mobley in Philly and they talked about how they had whipped the Sixers and Pacers by about 30 each this season.

"Smacked the ... out of them," he said. "We have the talent."

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I haven't a clue River. There were other countless business ventures of his that crashed and burned. The fact that the WWF is still going strong and he is still a multi-millionaire is mindboggling. Rest assured he will start up another business that will flop. And another one after that!

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited May 12, 2001).]

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I am kinda disappointed. You guys gotta admit that while flipping channels you occassionally glanced at the game. Football is football and sure the XFL was **** with a capital S, but I'm gonna miss watching the 5 minutes or so that I turned in for.

------------------

14. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

*bump*

hiccup

15. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Hey Chance*hiccup* you're ****ing OK man. No, your ****ing....I ****ing love you......your ****ing cool......HEY......what?....OHH yeah, Lets steal a boat....OK man......seriously man, you've got your **** together......I gotta go puke.............

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Rotflmao...

Can't believe it's almost been two years allready...

Anyway, how are you guys bringing these things up all the time with search being down? Clique secret?

17. Chance

Yeah..antient chinese secret...edit options...change default to from the beginning....click on the two at the bottom of the screen (as in page 1, 2, 3, or the arrows), and then in your URL bar change the last number to something higher.

season to taste.

I swear to you, I have spent hours reading old posts. It is a friggin time capsule. This board has the most amazing individuals. Even the ones I disagree with I respect. Except TheHorns.

18. Chance

Smokey was disappointed! Now I am rotflmfao!!!!!!!

19. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Ohhhh. Thank you sir. :D

What was up with that dude named "He Hate Me"?

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Isn't he in the NFL now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.