1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The worst Rockets playoff game ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DREAM ON!, May 5, 2015.

1. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Before i begin, sorry if this has been beat upon a dead horse in other threads or if this same topic already has a thread.

I'm 31, I've watched the Rockets through thick and thin all my life, and last night I think was the most brutal time I've ever encountered watching the Rockets. I have never seen that bad of a playoff-game performance from any Rocket team, ever. The lethargic, careless, uninspired attempt at the game was shocking. Its one thing to lose to the team that played better but, this was another.

I hope they snap out of this and down he Clippers in game 2 and win the series, which I still think they can do.

I digress... I started this thread to get other opinions on this. Is this the worst Rockets playoff performance in the history of the franchise?

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Game 7 vs Mavs 2005 lost by 40
    Blew 20pt 4th qt lead vs Phx in 95 semifinals

Those hurt more than last night's loss IMO

3. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Last nigh's loss is the worst I have seen. Worse than the 40 point Game 7 blowout loss to Mavs in 2005 playoffs. That team lost due to less talents. This team lost with more talents. Unbelievable.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Bro, you're 31 and you seriously don't remember rolling up to Dallas, and losing by 40 to the Mavs? That was only 10 years ago. Also, if you want to take it back even further, back in the Championship run, the Rockets blew not one, but 2 GAMES against Phoenix, AT HOME, where they led by 20 points. This game doesn't even crack the top 5 worst playoff games in all honesty.

1 person likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's up there. Not sure if it's THE worst, but it's up there. It's less about the result, and more about the fact that they all quit.

I'll chalk it up as an anomaly.

6. underrated015

underrated015 Member

40 point loss to dallas still stings. that game was brutal because of my dallas friends.:mad: revenge was good this time around.

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

05' was the worst for me since i only became a follower of the rockets in 01'.

but man this may be the most disgraceful loss in respect to my confidence going into a game.

my top 3 would be

1) game7 05' vs mavs just brutal, i sat their in the fourth and teared up.
    2) the lin game last year game4 vs blazers
    3) yesterdays game1 vs clips and paying rivers as starting PG and turk nba 2015 rotation mins

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I feel like this one was worse than Dallas because we sucked on so many different levels.

You can't excuse this pathetic effort:

<iframe src='http://streamable.com/e/x85j' width='560' height='350' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling='no'></iframe>

Never

9. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I have bad memory but think Game 2 of the "Choke City" in the mid-90's Phoenix playoff series.

skip to 50 seconds into this vid #1
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XoOOtI5-EdE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

also

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ED55KcYh1bY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep.

I think it set in "We just lost to the Clippers...without Chris Paul...at home." that's when it set in right there.

11. hmurry5

hmurry5 Member

I really hope someone got into their faces after the game and chewed them out because that effort is just inexcusable. Almost sickening watching that. It's the freaking playoffs, play with some pride...

12. Voice of Aus

their was a tweet (someone will find it), about Mchale swearing words that couldn't be expressed in a tweet, is negative reinforcement the best tactic? are we already screwed and it doesn't matter? will it work? who knows but would have thought a players only meeting would be more effective first thing before practise

13. moose

moose Member

Don't think I've ever seen any playoff team ever with that much lack of effort. Embarrassing, pathetic, despicable. I don't know how I can support this team.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This game could easily be argued as worse than Game 7 against DAL.

At least the Mavs were FAVORED, had ALL their MAIN PLAYERS, and were on their HOME COURT.

15. Voice of Aus

because you will always support the team over players!!!!!!!

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Mavs loss was awful, because of the point differential.

But the losses to Phoenix when we were up 20 in the 4th were so ridiculously painful given the context of Houston sports, generally...particularly given that happening so close in time to the Oilers blowing big leads in playoff games.

17. opticon

opticon Member

We played like we expected the Clippers to give us the game because they wereally under manned.

This reminds me of the 2009 series with the Lakers except we are the Lakers.

The Clippers are playing like we did in 2009 against the Lakers. They are fighting for every thing and playing with urgency.

We need to play like we want it.

1 person likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't recall Barkley being injuried and DNPing those games.

Besides, is it fair to compare MULTIPLE losses to a SINGLE one?

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

That team did not lose "due to less talent"

They won the first two games.. in Dallas.. only to have the Mavericks come back and win the series. The series was competitive until that last game. Plus, it was against the Mavericks which is a worse rival to us than the Clippers. We lost by freakin' 40 points instead of only 16.

I know the game last night sucked and was disheartening, but people who say it is the worst playoff loss in Rockets history are incredibly shortsighted.

I don't care if we lost by 100 points- it was still game 1. There is no way that a loss in game 1 can be as bad as being absolutely blown out by 40 points in a deciding, series-clinching game 7.

1 person likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The 40 point loss to the Mavs in part ruined the entire McGrady-Yao era in the NBA. That will be the worst Rockets loss for a LONG time.

I can remember where I was and who I was with that night 10 years ago. I won't be saying that about this game.