1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the vet for a cat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by likestohypeguy, Aug 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. likestohypeguy

There's a kitten someone dumped here, probably a few weeks old.

I'm just curious, assuming

2. likestohypeguy

...assuming best case scenario (i.e. it doesn't need surgeries or anything), what's that going to cost? They are going to insist on shots etc. Right?

there is no basic once-over checkup just to make sure it,s not diseased?

3. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

I dont understand.

4. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Do you live in a dumpster?

5. likestohypeguy

yeah they dumped him at the dumpster actually.

I just want to know worst case & best case cost going into the vet, so if it's potentially too much, I won,t have to say no thanks & leave after having taken responsibility.

6. likestohypeguy

Do vets let you drop off an animal, then call you when they're done (& tell you the damage at that time)?

or you have to sit there with it, like a kid at the dr's?

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Grab the Yellow Pages, call a vet near you and ask what should you do. Tell them that you don't have the financial resources to pay for any checkup and see what they have to say.

8. updawg

updawg Member

There might be some non profit type place that will give shots and get it fixed for cheaper

9. VanityHalfBlack

Wish it was that simple, but no.... You have to be there every step of the way, don't you want to see what kind of vet work to be done to your pet???

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just drop it at the SPCA they take everything.

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

12. ling ling

ling ling Member

Give it to a Korean. They love cats.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

HSPCA offers cheap fixes, and shots. Give them a call.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

ehhh are you wanting to adopt it?

If you're going to adopt and you're not too concerned about the longevity of the animal, just get it fixed and get its rabies shot. Vets will try to upsell lots of other tests.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dogs too.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Waicissss!

17. papadrunk

papadrunk Member

I used this place for a stray cat I took in. Unlike other vet websites, a price list is displayed on this website.

http://www.mygreatergoodvet.com/

I had my cat spayed, along with shots, and it cost me $110. I dropped off my cat in the morning and picked her up in the afternoon. If you're only looking at shots, you can walk in after 2pm.

18. likestohypeguy

They keep it until someone adopts it, for a certain amount of time(?), then they kill it after so long? This one, I'm sure someone would adopt it, but idk how many they have there to compete with. I think it'd rather stay a dumpster cat than that (options in reverse order of preference):

5. Death row for cats (health, food & safety but small cage & possible execution with nothing it can do about it- survival depends on cuteness)
    4. Dumpster cat (has to find it's own food but is free, and its survival depends on its own instincts).
    3. Barn cat (has to kill mice etc. But nicer than a dumpster )
    2. Yard cat (would feed it & buy it the basic vet pakcage space ghost is talking about- <$50?)
    1. House cat (food ac/heat etc. But no freedom & will definitely need to splurge for all shots etc.)

I think I'm gong to start with option no. 2 & see how it goes. I think it's a little too wild for inside. It almost looks like somehting you,d find in the woods. Like a half wildcat or something. Also, I'm not sitting there while a bunch of db's at a vets office brow beat me for not spending hundreds of dollars on a cat.

thanks all for the advice.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd keep an eye on them. They might force you to replace its air filter before its time.

20. likestohypeguy

Only $134 for the first visit, then an eighty something dollar followup one month later, then $80 again in two months. Now that price doesn't include neutering of course, just the bare minimum, if you want to say you did the responsible thing.

Not force, just embarrass you into saying yes when they walk into the waiting room & show everyone how dirty you let that filter get.