1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The UFC thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dragician, Oct 26, 2013.

1. what

what Member

You hate Ronda. You hate that she is bigger than your tiny little sport. You hate that nobody cares about mma unless rousey is fighting on the card. It's fine.

Your Tyson rebuttal was stupid. Congratulations, Tyson was able to get pummeled for multiple rounds. Nobody cares about men wrestling one another on the ground, no matter how much you "appreciate" the technique involved. Face it, Ronda was ufc, and when she is gone your sport will be small again.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno about that really. You need to know a LOT more to be a top tier MMA fighter than to be a boxer. Being a boxer you have to perfect one specific set of skills, to be a top tier MMA fighter you have to be fairly amazing at several different fighting disciplines in order to be able to actually fight.

I think the more proper analogy would be that a boxer is like a fast draw shooting champion who perfects that one skill which is pretty amazing and MMA is more like a special forces operator. Both have amazing skills, but the fast draw guy has little to no real world application and the special forces guy wouldn't be able to beat the quick draw guy in a competition......but the special forces guy would literally kill the quick draw guy in a real life scenario.

3. what

what Member

MMA is like the little league world series and boxing is like the major leagues. Both require tremendous skill to get there, but one is clearly overshadowed by the other.

ipaman likes this.
  4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Kayla is huge. She's commentating on the WSOF and looks even bigger than she naturally does when she competes. She would have to cut a lot to compete in the WMMA UFC division.

5. VanityHalfBlack

From a business stand point right? Or are you talking about which skills will win in a fight?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's just a really big Rousey fan that is upset her career is over. It's no big deal.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol dude im not even an mma fan like that. i completely agree about the men wrestling on the ground part lol. But just because I don't think she's comparable to Tyson, doesn't mean thats a knock on her. Ronda set her own precedent. She made everyone care about women's combat fighting. Also became a much bigger draw than a lot of these dudes that are fighting. Nothing will change that, her impact will be forever be there. But it doesn't last forever and some can handle it better than others.

UFC did need Ronda bad. WME-IMG spent billions banking on the power of Ronda and Conor. Now, seem like Conor has UFC by the balls if he wants to play it like that.

8. what

what Member

Well I misjudged you. Sorry dude!

9. what

what Member

Actually, I am just responding to the constant Ronda bashing that you all are doing, based on nothing more substantial than she was a woman that took over y'all's sport.

Y'all will have maybe one more good year with Connor before he goes off doing movies, and then y'all can go back to watching men wrestling on the ground again and geeking out about it.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The "Ronda bashing" is based not on her being a woman, it's based on her not being any good at MMA. More talented women came along and that's a good thing for the UFC and women's MMA in general.

Look, I get it, you don't understand MMA. It's okay, awful country music and non-playoff football is more your speed. That's cool. Everyone is different.

Yung-T and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  11. what

what Member

You forgot to add the crucial part: that took over the sport. And it's certainly about that. Her perceived lack of skill is only a backlash for her being a woman and the idea that dana pushed her over more deserving (in your eyes) MALE counterparts and sour grapes.

And you still fail to understand Rousey's appeal, which is the devastation of that arm bar and quick victories as opposed to men wrestling on the ground for 5 minutes a round for 5 rounds a fight. Nobody cares about that, or ground and pound, or leg kicks.

The general public wants excitement, and the mma lacks excitement with every bland card they put together, other than what rousey was doing. So you can continue to pine over pure mma all you want, nobody gives a rip about it.

12. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Her perceived lack of skill, eh? What do you, what, as a past self-proclaimed boxing aficionado have to say about this?

[​IMG]

Bobbythegreat and Yung-T like this.
  13. what

what Member

Her boxing sucks, obviously.

14. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Very good, you're finally learning. Now put your tin foil hat back on and spew some more nonsense that is expected from you.

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Joining this Ronda talk late but the UFC will survive whether she disappears or comes back. The only division(s) that might disappear would be WMMA fights maybe going back to Invicta Fight Pass cards but that'll be unlikely even within the next year or two.

She was a top PPV draw but her best PPV sales were always when we she was paired with another championship contender title match as a co-main event. Most of her opponents were part time fighters / part time moms. No one that fully dedicated themselves to a life of MMA for years.

I think the reason she gets so much hate is the unrealistic hype surrounding her. She was saying she could beat the HW champ under the right conditions. Joe Rogan cried over her and constantly touted her as a once ever athlete and Ronda started to believe her own hype too. She constantly flipped off opponents and made up feuds that weren't there so when she got bested twice, it was nice to watch her eat crow. Similar to Conor vs Nate 1 where it was nice to see Conor humbled after all the s-hit talk he did. I personally like heel personalities if done right just like I appreciate movies where you got a really well acted villain that you as a viewer love to hate. She took up the heel role. There will be an audience out there that will relish to watch her downfall because of it.

All that said, I've read people throughout the years say the UFC is dying and once <insertfighternamehere> retires, they'll fade. They said it with GSP's retirement. They said it with Brock. The UFC went from an entity that only did fight cards maybe a few times a year to once a year, to having UFC Fight Nights every month along with a monthly UFC PPV card, Fight Pass Cable channel, a purchase of PRIDE, Strikeforce, Invicta and a merger of the WEC that brought in a bunch of talent at the FW and LW divisions. For a company that's constantly being told it's dying, it sure is expanding and providing more fight content than all other existing fighting organizations put together.

I don't think the UFC will grow much more in popularity than it is right now but it's far from being a dead sport once Ronda retires. She brought in casual women viewers that maybe only watched UFC because they had a boyfriend that kept up with it. Just like how Brock and CM Punk brought in casual WWE viewers. Most of those viewers will go back to whatever they used to watch but some will stay. In the end it'll be the armchair experts that have been watching since UFC 1 that will keep the sport from dying as they'll tune in every card unlike casual viewers that may provide a spike in viewers for one particular card.

ferrari77 likes this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

since a big part of MMA was about mixing styles. when are we going to have weapons vs non-weapons?

17. 713

713 Member

But srs. You guys think Jon Jones returns any time soon? He's my favorite fighter. Dude was the LeBron of UFC.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if there was a big question asking if it was better to fight with weapons or without weapons, then I imagine eventually you'd have that. Fortunately though just about all sane people know that fighting with weapons is clearly superior to fighting without weapons so I don't think it's necessary.

The thing I love most about MMA is that it completely exposed a lot of BS martial arts. For that alone, it did a service to the world.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

no i'm just making fun of the ambiguity of mixing styles in the same sport. it's ridiculous to me.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...n-split-floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-fight