1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The UFC thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dragician, Oct 26, 2013.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cormier would know since he was a medalist. However there have been plenty of olympic wrestlers, some gold medalist like Kevin Jackson, that couldn't control people on the ground like Khabib does. Rickson Gracie is the only person that controlled with grappling and strikes like Khabib. I know MMA has changed a lot but Rickson fought much bigger opponents and he rolled with Olympic gold medalist Mark Shultz with great success.

saitou likes this.
  2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Very nice breakdown by Dan Hardy. Khabib's speed in transitions and setting up submission options on the ground is unreal, probably just instinct after a lifetime of training.

Also looks like Khabib was really fighting with broken toes, his reaction at https://youtu.be/V1wPpDWcSyI?t=3640

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's amazing how good of a striker Khabib became. The fact that everyone was weary of his takedowns, made him very effective as a striker. He put McGregor on his ass.

saitou likes this.
  4. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry Spider. He was a GOAT but well past his prime.

Nice showing by Hall tonight.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. Fantasma Negro

Anderson looked good for two and a half rounds but once Hall accepted what he had to do the fight was over. Hall apologizing afterwards was very classy, interested to see how he looks against StyleBender. As for Anderson, he's probably bound for Bellator, forever the GOAT regardless

7. KingCheetah

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Tony pulling a Woodley. From dominant to dominated like a flipped switch.

Great card.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Those first 4 rounds alone was arguably the best UFC fight I’ve seen, anti climatic 5th round and decision, but jeez what an amazing fight. I was a big fan of Figueiredo, and now I’m a big fan of Moreno too. Can’t wait to see that rematch.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Agreed, the first 4 rounds was AMAZING!

I thought Figueirdo was on the verge of ending the fight at any moment, even though every round was very close. Every time he hit Moreno, you could see and hear the impact. The sheer force of his blows caused Moreno to recoil and be knocked off balanced. Figs was just plain walking him down.

But ******* if Moreno isnt a tough SOB. Dude just kept firing back. Combos, kicks, takedowns. I didn't think they had much effect on Figs at first, but as the fight progress you can visibly see it working. Great fight and no arguments from me about it being a draw. I honestly had no idea who should win after that war. Fig did more damage, but Moreno had more takedowns & about the same amount of strikes landed.

That was a pretty damn amazing card. Great performances throughout.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

God of War is my favorite fighter right now. He's a mean summabish and it almost looks like their's horns coming out of his head.

Every fight of his is must watch.

12. KingCheetah

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

yup rip tony (the orig king of cringe) =(

Also DAYUM Kevin Holland knockout right hook while on his back. Holland is basically what Pat Bev would be as an mma fighter.

rip JDS also.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I’m a big Conor fan but I knew after that press conference he was not going to win and I didn’t think he had a good chance to begin with although he has surprised everyone many of times.

he was drinking at the press conference 3 days out and not only was he drinking he was drunk and he was puffy you could tell he had been drinking all training camp.

he looked much different for the cowboy fight last year was not drunk and all over the place.

none the less he’s imo the most entertaining athlete in all sports for the past 6-7 years. Fighting is a short sport but those 5 years he was box office. I mean he still is but it’s not the same I’m glad I got to see his come up and all the stuff he accomplished in the sport and his press conferences besides the khabib one we’re awesome. He was talking crap being funny and backing it up.

I don’t think the ufc will see another Conor again he was the total package could talk the talk and promote and also was really good for those five years. Knocking everyone out winning belts in 2 divisions and had a classic with Diaz 2 one of the best mma fights Iv ever seen.

15. KingCheetah

Happy New Year enjoy the rehab in 2021.

16. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

UFC 257 Mcgregor vs Poirier who you got!?

This should be a great fight. Both are super entertaining and action fighters. Conor's elite striking vs Poirier's consistent, workmanship, tough, gritty style.

Conor is -325 favorite to Win. For fun, I'm taking Conor by TKO/KO in the 2nd round +375 and 3rd round +1000.

Also like Hooker to beat Chandler, using his length height and cardio to avoid Chandler's power punches and take down.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's hard to know with Conor out so long (with his last fight being a washed cowboy), but I still feel Conor takes him.

I've never seen Chandler fight before, I'm a fan of Dan but he's definitely beatable.

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

True about the long lay off for Conor... Hell even the cowboy fight didn't really tell us anything. Not sure if it means anything, but he looked great at the official weigh in... Anyways should be a great fight...

Seen a few of chandler's fight. he has some power but isn't really a "striker." He's explosive and a wrestler but also has cardio issues and noticeably slows after the 2nd round. Hooker IMO is a good striker and fighter but will lose to any of the top fighters. His skills are good but will be dominated by better strikers as seen when he fought Barbosa and Poirier. He's similar to Paul Felder imo.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

Conor with a quick T/KO.

20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dana said he's going to put you in jail if you stream this.