1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The turning point in the Astros season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Austin70, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Any thoughts? In my opinion it was game 2 of the four game series in Chicago. When Barrett was jawing at Roy, he just looked at him, smiled and went on shutting them down. The team never backed down after the scrubs hit him and scored 15 runs and won the next two, and had a new attitude.

2. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

mods please move thread, wrong forum.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I agree with you 100% Austin. That was definitely the turning point of the season.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Berkman's HR in game 3 against the Giants.

I fell asleep thinking the season was over. Woke up the next morning SHOCKED at what had happened.

5. fya

fya Member

That game in Montreal where the stros came back in extra innings to win it.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I believe it was the precursor to this when Oswalt hit Barret in the back. Without that incident, he subsequent event would not have happened.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course, that's also the same game where Rice alum Lance Berkman "stood up" for his teammate by telling the media after the game that if he was Barrett, he'd be pissed off too if he thought he was hit intentionally.

I honestly thought that was it. I foresaw clubhouse turmoil after that idiotic statement. So happy Roy O. was the bigger man and pitched his ass of the rest of the year.

8. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I think I should get the credit, because they started playing well just when I stopped watching the games or otherwise paying attention to them ;). Actually, I guess it probably was the Barrett incident.

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Berkman's comment was in no way a slight of Oswalt. His statement is accurate. Any player would feel pissed off if they were intentionally hit by a pitch. Lance is one of the best clubhouse guys around. He's funny and articulate. The Astros have a nice nucleus of well educated guys, including Ensberg, Everett and Lidge. They are great ambassadors of the team.

Lance has been the team MVP at the plate. His statistics are incredible, especially his OBP.

Quit trying to start something.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Firing that loser Jimy and bringing in Garner.

DD

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You never, ever not take up for your guy in the media. The correct response to the question that was asked of him (which was, paraphrasing, "What did you think of Barrett's reaction when Oswalt came up to bat?") would have been, "Who is the world is Michael Barrett to try and start something with one of the best pitchers in the NL". I guarantee you Roy O. wasn't too pleased with what he heard from both Berkman and Bagwell.

I agree with this.

I agree with this.

Get over yourself.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The problem is, that wasn't the question. Lance answered the question, not what you thought was the question. Why are you so critical of Lance? He is one of the Astros best players, if not their best player. Why try to make something out of an old comment? The media seems to disagree with your assessment, although they can't read Oswalt's mind like you can.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm just saying how I feel about the comment. He was given a perfect opportunity to take up for Roy O. and pump up the clubhouse, but he blew it right there, IMO. It has nothing to do with Lance. He's been my favorite player since his days at Rice. That comment, along with Bagwell's from a few days before really pissed me off as an Astros' fan, especially since I love both of those guys. Bottom line, I was just professing my surprise that they did turn it around after that whole incident and the two players' reactions to it.

Of course, it all sounds silly now that they've made their historical run, but that's still how I feel about that particular situation.

14. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I'll go with the Barrett incident as well.

But i also think Berkman's homerun in SF got us back on track after we were losing momentum. I think that helped us win the 7 games in a row after that. Especially since if we'd of lost 1 of those games we might not even be in the playoffs.

15. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

If Lance is so freakin' smart, why does he run the bases like a 4 year old?

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Because we were still up 2-1, and had Lidge coming in that got the 1-2-3

17. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

not to keep the thread focused on this one incident..... but I definitely agree.

with the "winning cures all ails" motto , I've forgotten the incident for the most part.

However, it still doesn't excuse Bagwell and Berkman playing the role of complete dicks in the clubhouse.

In that situation, they both should have been behind their ace ONE HUNDRED PERCENT, but they then criticize Roy O at a point in the season was ludacris. In that series, criticism (instead of backing) of your star pitcher was not the sort of thing the team needed to light that postive fire under them to get back on the right track...

eh...... not many hard feelings over it now...... but just sharing my point of view on that particular incident as well.

18. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Does anybody else realize that we haven't lost at home since that Barrett incident? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say thats what changed our season. :)

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i love berkman and i love bagwell, great players, outstanding guys(seemingly, i don't know them) but they definitely didn't stand up for their teammate. basically they turned their back on him in the media and it's simple as that. it makes no difference whether it was the honest answer it's just a sh!tty thing to do for team chemistry, particularly when oswalt is one of the main guys carrying the team.
    i didn't remember that incident until this thread and i'm sure they've all gotten over it as well but at the time i also thought it was the end of the season.

i guess there could be two turning points, taking the series from the cubs and then that berkman homerun against the giants saving the season the second time.

20. Win

Win Contributing Member

"Bad for team chemistry"???? You gotta be kidding me. It WAS the catalyst that brought the Astros full circle. Gotta give Scrap credit for knowing how to nurture the team, however. Dude has done a really sweet job.