1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by spacepimp, Jan 25, 2005.

1. spacepimp

spacepimp Contributing Member

Mcgrady is a second level superstar ( only because playoff history)
    Francis is a allstar, just under superstar( will only make it to superstar if he become a stud in the playoffs) with great talent and glaring weakness. winner = rockets

Mobley is a just under allstar and very underrated on both end of the court. the magic trade mobley for doug christie for defensive reasons (with christies age their defence is about the same, but mobley kills him on the other side of the court) then they proceed to start hedo turkgolu( who is the worst defender this side of mo taylor at shooting guard) and taking away there only weapon from the bench. winner = rockets and kings

cato is doing something he should have done four years ago, being a rebounding defensive monster, who on the most part stay out of foul trouble. howard,barry and reece well are howard barry and reece. winners = magic

If the magic would have kept mobley then you atleast make an argument that the magic made the right move and won the trade but only getting doug christie I say rockets win trade hands down.

2. spacepimp

I also forgot to mention that playing francis more at the two was an horrible Idea, he is not a catch and shoot player so driving and dishing to him or runnig him off picks and screen serve no purpose other than run down the shot clock and jack up a bad shot,

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

very true

Francis had many open shots. . but he waited until the defense adjusted
    he just could not Catch and shoot. . .

only reason a pick works for him
    is if he curls around it heading to the basket

I am anti-trade
    but
    both teams benefitted

Magic will drop Christie [isn't he at the end of his contract]
    and they will reach out ot some other folx

I think they will look for a Small forward behind Hill
    or a nasty customer in the front court

Rocket River

4. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Maybe Rockets fans are high on Cat, but I don't understand why everyone is so low on Christie. Well, it's annoying to see him with those signs, but he is a very good defender, who made NBA defensive team before. He works hard on the court, shoots with a decent percentage, also in 3 pointers range, he's a good passer, sometimes even creative. Why exactly did Magic loose? Their problem right now is not Christie, but their coach can't convince the players to play any defense, maybe can't convince himself.

By the way, you can't just decide what Christie is after couple of games, he had enough good games behind him to deserve a fair chance.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Maybe because he and his wife design purses together. Dude is whipped.

6. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I know it's wrong and annoying:) but that doesn't make him a bad basketball player to trade with Cat.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Which is probably why they traded him.

I can't think of any recent (past 20+) years historical example of a star player that didn't have a true/classic position leading his team to a championship.

8. goophers

goophers Member

Tim Duncan?

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Who's the star on Detroit? Ben Wallace? He's not a true C. Isaiah was more of a scorer than a classic PG.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm not low on christie. . but
    if he is gonna stay . . he may have to take a lower contract
    and i don't think the Missus will allow that :D

Rocket River

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Doug Christie has one year left on his contract. He is due to receive $8.2M for the 2005/06 season. He ain't going no where fast. He could be traded in the off season but that is another case.

Orlando is near if not above the salary cap and I do not the owner wants to pay L. tax so expect not so many moves this summer to land a free agent. Remember they have to sign the fisrt round pick if they decide to keep it.

Finally, John Weisbrod wants to ultimately move Steve to the 2-guard position. He has stated this in the public (OS) but Steve promptly rebuffed the idea and philosophy. So expect some head butting there because both parties don't like given in.

12. rocket3forlife2

cuttino is a automatic 15 point ,and atleast two 3 pointers a game.That could have opened up the floor for orlando.that trade from christie really hurt them.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think the Kings improved themselves with the trade for Cat and will be much tougher to deal with once he is fully integrated into their scheme. They just got blown out by SA a few nights back but that happens to everybody in this league once in a while. I look for them to give Seattle a run for the 3 seed.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They may catch the Suns

Rocket River

15. spacepimp

Three years ago trading mobley for christie might have been even but now christie is horrible on offence and he is living on his rep on D.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

orlando had a great shot a re-signing cat this offseason. i don't see why they were so scared about him leaving. i also think they could've gotten a better deal for him, but whatever i'm a rockets fan.

i think steve will end up getting traded out of orlando soon. nelson is comming along as a PG and steve is not a 2. IMO steve for redd would do that team good.

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Redd will be a free agent this summer and he is keen on signing and extention with Cleveland but the Cavs don't seem to be the the team that can offer him the most money as a FA straightup. I could be wrong but I see Redd remaining a Buck for the foreseable future (beyond this season).

18. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Redd would be a fool to stay with the Bucks when he could play with Lebron.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

playing wiht Lebron for less money
    in a smaller market. . . naaa. . . . .
    [ok the bucks are not a big market
    but better to be the big fish in that pond
    than Lebron's Sidekick]

Rocket River

20. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I don't know the difference between possible offers here, but the chance to play with Lebron would be worth about 20 million to me. Lebron would make things so much easier for Redd. He'd have so many open shots he wouldn't know what to do with them all. Not to mention that Milwaukee is going down the crapper real fast, with TJ Ford being a huge question mark. Would you rather be the best player on a crappy team, in a tiny market, or play on a conference contender with one of the game's best players (who is totally unselfish) for the rest of your career? I would take less money and then just buy about 10 fewer cars.