1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Trackwell, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

We have had our best year ever this year. Winning the division and hosting a playoff game will be a new high for our young franchise. It will be very tough for our Texans to make noise this year being down to our 5th round rookie QB. You throw in that our best defensive player is on IR as well and it all adds up to bad luck.

But the future couldn't be brighter! Going into next year we bring everybody thats worth a darn back. We are still one of the youngest teams in the league, and are talent level just might be the highest in the entire NFL. Going into the NFL draft we really dont have any holes on this team for the first time ever. Yes we could use a talent upgrade at reciever and nose takle and maybe safety, but we are decent at all three spots right now, those three areas just seem to be our weakest posistions. We are getting to the point now that we can draft for talent instead of need.

Breaking down our team makes me feel great about the future!

QB: Bring back probowler Matt Shaube and Yates looks like he will be a starter for years

Running game : Foster, Tate, Casey and VIckers are the best set of backs in the league by a mile

Recieving game: Bring back all world talent with Andre and add a topdraft pick and we are very strong in the passing game when you also add Danials, Dressen and all the talent in our backfield. You have to feel great about our talent in the recieving game.

O Line: Top 5 in football and still young

D Line: Jj watt will win DROY this year and antonio smith has been been very solid. Cody has played very well and has exceeded all expectations. Add a draft pick or two down here and we should be even better

LB: Cushing, Barwin, Reed, Ryans, Williams and Sharpton will be the best in the NFL! They will be a terror for opposing QB's! This unit is very young and has probowlers everywhere!

Secondary: Joseph is a top three corner in football. Kareem, Allen and Mcmannis continue to improve. Harris who is very talented will chalenge for a starting spot next year. Glover has played like a probowler this year as a safety and Manning and some of our youngsters have shown promise

This team has talent Everwhere! We have about a dozen players that have probowl potential next year and we are still very very young.

Texans moving forward are just as talented as any team in the NFL!

1 person likes this.
  2. ThaShark316_28

Squad's going to be pretty damn sick for a while. It's a lot of young players here.

3. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I just scrapped this together to show the promise of this team. If we can stay away from the injury bug, this team has the chance to contend for multiple championships.

I challenge you to name another team with more talent on paper!

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It finally feels like we're at the level of the Saints and Steelers. Not in terms of game to game expectation, but when you think about our depth and the age of our key talented players, man it's going to be exciting going into this next draft, KNOWING that we won't be absolutely hamstrung by need. Sure, I agree with ya'll, WR in the first two rounds will be a priority, but after that...it's best player available in my book.

Offensive line, outside pass rush, nose tackle, hell even tight end. All these are positions we could draft at to upgrade depth but have no actual mandate to do so. This means that whoever we get will invariably be better than we could have had if we were drafting based on need. Think about Baltimore drafting defense year after year, or the Giants loading up on DE after DE. That's what we can be this upcoming year. The epitome of this strategy is what the Pats do. They're so good at drafting that they can afford to hoard picks and trade back year after year to ensure that they'll always have some other team's picks coming to them at a later point in time. Why ever cash in when the interest is so good? Stupid teams will always trade their future for their present, and now the Texans don't have to be counted among them.

It's a real liberating feeling, knowing that our best is only yet to come.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yates looks like he will be a starter for years?

6. HPD

HPD Member

Dont look too good recently

7. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

He will be much better next year, he is a rookie that didnt have an offseason. Give hime a little bit of rope

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I believe Von Miller has this one wrapped up.

9. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Maybe so but Watt will be a beast for the next decade

10. conquistador#11

whoa there mother lover! I love our defense but no way watt wins DROY. The refs alone have detracted three sexy plays that people who vote for these awards drool over. They won't look at how jj disrupts the offensive line consistently or those 'watted' passes that should count as passes defended. The easy pick is Aldon smith because everyone loves the sack and it takes less numbers crunching. If it was up to moi, von miller and JJ would be co winners of that award, no homerism here. =)

Yes, the future is indeed bright. also..the elite defenses are on their last legs as of right now. But who knows, by next year,the rules committee might place flags on the quaterback a la touch football.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

AJ's best years are behind him. believe it. draft a WR or two and cornerback.

12. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Haha I love the Texans as much as anyone but those are some rose-colored glasses you're looking through. Yates has potential but is still a big question mark at this point. JJ is solid, but I wouldn't say ROY (could reach probowler status IF he continues to grow).

I'd say we have 4 players going to the probowl in Foster, Duane Brown, Cushing & Joseph but probably won't get more in due to the sloppy finish to the season. Schaub is solid but needs to get tougher and learn to come through in the clutch. If we can hang on to Wade, I'd feel good about our chances for years to come.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think we will cruise in our division for the next 3 seasons if Colts go Luck route. Then it'll be a very fun rivalry.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They have a 3-5 year window, +/- 2 years.

If they can draft and sign free agents anything close to like they did this year, they'll be in GREAT shape.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Do "windows" matter as much in football as other sports? It seems well-run teams have a lot more longevity in the NFL.

In any case...they need to do whatever they can to keep Wade, need a slew of talented receivers of 1/2 quality and they definitely need to address special teams as it'd be nice to actually have a decent return game.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They do when you have your core elements in place... namely, with the Texans, the O-line and the D-line which are both relatively young and very talented.

Also, the system lends itself the ability to have a good amound of turnover in the personnel, but still maintain some consistency.

But then again, stuff can happen from year to year... which is why you always have 10 loss teams become 10 wins team and vice versa.

I still think they can easily win this division again next year (Manning or no Manning), and they need to implement a few new wrinkles on offense next year (more slants, more TE involvement, less reliance on roll-outs/bootlegs to get guys open).

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

Besides getting a 2nd WR and CB, we should also get a new kicker in the offseason. Rackers is starting to piss me off.

18. lean

lean Member

Our season got fcked by injuries. We're in great shape for the future though, this team should be fun to watch for the next 4-5 years.

19. Major

Major Member

Does that mean a 1-7 year window? :) That's quite a range!

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

1 at its worst, 7 at its ultimate best (similiar to what the Patriots, Colts, Saints, and Eagles have shown over the last decade).... but on average, it will be closer to 3-5 barring no more years with injuries WORSE than this year.