1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The State of the G.A.R.M.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Dec 21, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets are having the best season since the dark times of the silas years, but the discourse is probably worse. It's no fun to even talk Rockets anymore. I just watch the games and leave.

the state of the GARM:
    [​IMG]

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It has been like this since I can remember, probably 2005ish when I first started lurking. There has always been division on Yao, Mac, the coaches, Harden, the new owner, the new GM, and now the rebuild. It's the way of things.

I think the relatively new issue is people have made their opinions into their identities and feel like their world will end if they are proven wrong about something. At some point a majority of people here became parodies of sports fans. See also: politics.

#5 napalm06, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    burlesk, Easy, fryjol7 and 22 others like this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

Been that way for a while

burlesk and ExTexanNowEastCoast like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

in those years the ire was directed on MAX 2 people/players at a time though.

Recently EVERYONE is getting smoke which makes nobody on this site happy. Tilman, Stone, Ime/silas, sengun, jalen discourse, bari, cam, amen, Harden/FVV, Dillon, Tari's role, etc. There are arguments everywhere.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

thats how life is now...

nobody wants to engage in a free of exchange of ideas and thoughts...

nope... everybody's about propelling their agenda...

and anything contrary to their beliefs if taken as an attack...

if folks spent have as much learning and actually formulating an informed opinion as they do expressing their random thoughts the world be a much better place...

its like they say... u got 2 ears and 1 mouth... that means u should be listening twice as much as yer talking...

but that aint how folks roll... i guess they figure 2 eyes for reading vs 10 fingers for typing... lol

lol

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

State of garm?
    Where we stand on garm?
    Time to think about trading garm?
    Who is the franchise poster of the garm?
    Will prime garm have the same status in Houston as Jokic in Serbia?

These are the important questions we need answered.

Stephen_A, burlesk, Tfor3 and 7 others like this.
  10. napalm06

I study a lot of psychology and scientific sources seem to unanimously agree that constant access to the internet is radicalizing people in every way and about every thing. It's actually quite scary, and this message board is but another small extension of it.

All we can do individually is laugh more, ask questions and listen, and identify the toxic people and let them perpetually yell into the void.

burlesk, Easy, Richie_Rich and 12 others like this.
  11. napalm06

I should add that I stopped watching the Rockets Talk twitter hangouts because a certain co host with Clutch censors differences of opinion and gets weirdly aggressive when past Twitter beef is mentioned to the point where he asked for people to stop posting any material by Nathan Fogg. Twitter and Reddit, man.

I come here to talk ball and escape the day, not to hear someone get offended when their "superior knowledge of ball" is questioned. It's not about you and me.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

max 2 people/players at a time? just drastically wrong

people bittched all day everyday about morey, dwight, Capela, Dmo, Tjones, harden, McHale, JBB, MDA, PJ, Ryno, Tmac, JVG, Lin, melo, MCW, westbrick, rivers, shump, LTS. this is just the top of my head and doesn't even go into battles within the same team over who should play and who shouldn't. Even when the rockets were a 65 win team, this board bittched about players

acting like the GARM only had a couple topics at a time. yeah fcking right. none of this is new and nothing more than recency bias

13. MystikArkitect

The tribalism has gotten way out of hand. Been here for a while but have probably reached double digit Ignores in just the past two years. I'm in other message boards and they are way more ready with the ban hammer if someone starts getting insulty or aggressive. Almost every thread devolves into two posters just throwing feces at each other.

gfab-babyboi and Hemingway like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Most sports fans are very tribal and competitive

Most internet people are losers and tards

The internet is anonymous and constant, there isn't much incentive to behave, and you have unlimited access at all hours.

What happens when you gather 50k tribal, competitive, loser-tards on a single forum, with no incentive to behave, with unlimited access 24/7 to have discussion and debate?

Magic baby.

[​IMG]

fryjol7, napalm06 and cml750 like this.
  15. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like some folks take themselves and their opinions a little too seriously. At some point it stops being fun when the energy turns super negative--and at the end of the day that's all this is supposed to be...a little corner of fun where a bunch of rabid fans can talk about something that we're very passionate about.

But at the same time, I've had some awesome basketball discussions on here and I love getting to talk to people from all different walks of life while knowing that we at least have one BIG thing in common--The massive size of our penises. Also being Rockets fans.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

what it should be like

[​IMG]

What it's like

[​IMG]

Tfor3 likes this.
  17. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Also, another thing I wish I could do is meet everyone who I've interacted with on here in real life. Firstly because of the camaraderie, but also because some of the interactions and people I've seen on here are so wild, so bizarre, that I need to physically see who possibly could be the minds behind such madness.

burlesk, fryjol7, Stephen_A and 2 others like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is such thing as automatic temporary ban of 3 hours to number of days.....that would cool things down.

19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I posted this somewhere else but the thing that really makes it unbearable is that we are at an all time high of fans who want certain players to fail. I don't remember that until very recently. There were very few people who legitimately wanted to see our players fail. Even if there was constant b****ing, bickering, arguing and whatever, pretty much everyone was still rockets fans who wanted to watch the team succeed. That's why the LOF era was so weird, because it was jarring to have an influx of posters who legitimately did NOT care about the team, and only cared about their guy.

These days it seems like that's everyone. It feels like guys get excited when they watch the games and see our guys do bad. Like I can't imagine getting any satisfaction watching Jalen shoot 2-12 or watching Sengun get roasted on every pnr. It just makes me sad. If all our guys suck it means our rebuild was a failure and our team is going to be trash for another decade, I don't want that to happen. I'll never be happy watching players on the rockets fail. But we've got tons of guys who love to see it, so they can come online and gloat.

Easy, fryjol7, Dobbizzle and 12 others like this.
  20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I propose

1. an age limit
    2. ban "..... only fans"
    3. posting limit for DaDakota
    4. downvoting resulting into hidden comment

input?

Dobbizzle, Jontro and napalm06 like this.