1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished" - accd. to Don Shula

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Manny Ramirez, Nov 7, 2007.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Something makes me think this is a "grass is greener" situation.

Everyone hates on the Dolphins now, but can you imagine Randy Moss gloating about his undefeated season for the next 35 years? That seems much more painfull than the Dolphins now.

[Full Disclosure] I know a member of the 72 Dolphins and would like to see them keep their streak alive. [/Full Disclosure]

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It probably wouldn't be as bad, seeing as how the Pats would be doing something that someone has already done.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

lmao.

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Not sure how the Rodney Harrison suspension doesn't diminish their accomplishments a great deal more than Spygate.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The thing I don't understand about this (and I believe someone else has already touched on this) is that even if the Pats go all the way and go 19-0, it's not like the Dolphins of '72 are going to go away from the recordbooks. It is like Jim Mandich said - there will now be 2 teams in the undefeated club. It's not the '72 Dolphins fault that there was less games (2 in the regular season) back then compared to now.

When Bonds passed Aaron, there was no sharing of the record. Bonds was #1 now and Aaron was now #2. And even if the Pats don't do it, whoever the next team is that goes undefeated, they won't be able to surpass the '72 Dolphins - all they can do is tie them and join them in the undefeated club. So, this attitude that guys like Shula have and the players hoping that no other teams go undefeated is pretty pathetic. Relax guys, your names aren't going to be taken out of the record book. Sheesh.

6. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I feel the same way, there just trying to protect their record. I think the Patriots go 16-0, but I don't know if they go undefeated in the playoffs.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Did they put in a loser's bracket for this year?

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps because anything Rodney was doing could only effect his own play, and the overall cheating by trying to steal signals can help the entire offense operate more efficiently? Plus, Harrison getting caught meant the team was without him, 'roided up or not, for the first 4 games. The team won't have won any of their 16 games (assuming a perfect season) while he was on the banned substances.

9. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Nah, I'm just saying I don't think they'll go 19-0.

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Oh, I'm talking about their past Super Bowl wins being discredited. One of their defensive leaders getting busted for performance-enhancing drugs would seem to tarnish their past accomplishments more than sign-stealing.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i heard somewhere that the dolphins were fined a 1st round pick for tampering when they hired shula. anyone know if this is true or just made up?

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

True

After the 1969 season, Joe Robbie, owner of the Miami Dolphins, signed Shula to a contract to become Miami's second head coach. As a result of Shula's signing the team was charged with tampering by the NFL, which forced the Dolphins to give their first round pick to the Colts. The decision was controversial because Shula and Robbie's negotiations and signing were conducted before and after the official NFL/AFL merger, respectively. Had the negotiations been concluded before the merger, while the NFL and AFL were rivals, the NFL's anti-tampering rules could not have been applied.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

SIncerely,
    Barry Bonds in his 73 Homerun Season
    McGuire in his record breaking homerun Season
    Sammy sosa in his near Record breaking season

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

If I know you're gonna run the football, im putting 12 men in the box...Do you not understand how huge of an advantage it is if the other team KNOWS what play you're gonna run?

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Why do the '72 Dolphins are so possesive of their record, very selfish of his part, they are the first team to achieve that, that is something too.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

It doesn't matter. Pittsburgh will beat the Pats if someone else doesn't "trap" them.

Go '72 Dolphins!

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wouldn't it have been better if Shula just said: "Those guys are playing amazing football. I'd be the first to congratulate Bill and the Patriots if they go undefeated".

Stirring the pot isn't going to make the Patriots work LESS. Hell, Belichick and Co. are going through and destroying every team come Sunday (sans the Colts because it wasn't really a destruction..more like Manning-of-05 implosion). This just gives them MORE motivation to run up the score. I would mind seeing a 100 point game from them really.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wait, didn't The Cat already make clear to everyone that being called cheaters hasn't given the Patriots any extra motivation?

19. TheFreak

Wait, they haven't been taping anything this year? What was that they just got busted for then?

And can you explain to me how you know they're not still cheating?

20. TheFreak

Nobody who has a significant record wants to see it broken or matched. Shula is telling it like it is. The ire directed at Shula here makes no sense to me.

FYI, he was on Mike and Mike this morning and said he never said they should have an asterisk. However, it was pretty clear that he thought it - he made no effort to really remove much doubt about it.

If I was on that Dolphin team I'd be celebrating every year too. Do you want to be legendary or just another undefeated team? It's a no-brainer.