1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished" - accd. to Don Shula

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Manny Ramirez, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I was a little surprised that no one has posted this...

Shula: Spygate would diminish a perfect Pats season
    ESPN.com news services

Don Shula likes the Patriots' chances of going undefeated, but the Bill Belichick-inspired spying scandal has clouded Shula's thinking when comparing New England with his unbeaten 1972 Dolphins team.

"The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished," Shula said in an interview with the New York Daily News. "You would hate to have that attached to your accomplishments. They've got it."

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots were fined $250,000 and lost a first-round draft pick for videotaping the Jets' opposing sideline during the teams' season-opening game.

"That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found," Shula said, according to the Daily News. "I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record.

"I guess it will be noted that the Patriots were fined and a No. 1 draft choice was taken away during that year of accomplishment. The sad thing is Tom Brady looks so good, it doesn't look like he needs any help."

Some Patriots players, Tedy Bruschi included, took exception to Shula's opinion. "If someone questions your integrity, if someone questions who you are, if someone questions the organization you've been a part of ever since you walked into the league, would it upset you?" the linebacker asked, according to the Boston Herald. "So yes, it does upset me. I can't control how people feel about it. I can't control what comes out of their mouths. I only control what I do out there and what we do as a defense and what we do as a team. We keep winning and playing hard. If they want to keep saying those things, maybe we just need to play a little bit harder."

Others, like cornerback Ellis Hobbs, seemed indifferent to the Hall of Fame coach's remarks.

"It doesn't matter to us, man," Hobbs told the Herald. "We know what we do in our heart. We know what it takes to win the right way. We work at it day in and day out, even when that Spygate came. ... I don't consider myself a cheater. No one on this team does. We go out there and work day in and day out. The results speak for themselves."

The way the Patriots have been playing, Shula and the '72 Dolphins might find themselves answering more questions than in past years about whether their record will stand. New England improved to 9-0 on Sunday by beating the previously unbeaten Colts (7-1) in Indianapolis.

There have been serious runs made at the Dolphins' record before. The 1985 Bears started 12-0, then lost on a Monday night to a Dolphins team coached by Shula. The 1991 Redskins started 11-0 and the 1998 Broncos and 2005 Colts opened 13-0 before losing. Although members of the '72 Dolphins have become known for sipping champagne after the last unbeaten team falls by the wayside each season, Shula says stories of that annual celebration "have been blown out of proportion."

"You guys put forth the myth that we are pathetic losers down here clicking champagne glasses and clinging desperately to a record set 35 years ago," former Dolphins tight end Jim Mandich told the Daily News. "Somehow we've been portrayed as being evil. We don't ever blow our own horn. It's a great record, but the record doesn't get beaten.

"The Patriots have assembled a powerhouse of a team. They are a classy bunch of guys and play ball the right way. If they want to join the unbeaten club, come on aboard."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3097057

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I agree with him 100%.

3. tulexan

tulexan Member

I hope this is the last year the 72 Dolphins will celebrate the failures of another team.

4. Tracy McIverson

isn't don shula dead

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the 72 Dolphins being so protective of their perfect season. Why not embrace when someone else is doing well? They actually hope for teams to lost. I hope the Patriots do go undefeated so we can stop hearing about the damn champagne celebration year after year.

6. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

The Spygate deal is beyond ridiculous. Who cares what they taped? They could have just looked over at the other teams signals and written down what they saw and not gotten in trouble. How is that any different at all?

This year is the best they've looked and they're not taping anything. This has been blown completely out of proportion by those who hate the Pats.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Seriously, what is with the 72 Dolphins being so freaking protective of this record? It doesnt in any way diminish the greatness of that team for another team to go undefeated THIRTY FIVE years later.

Don Shula isn't exactly an objective party here.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Agreed. However I do believe that there is probably some exaggeration on the media's part about those dudes celebrating. Chris Berman is really bad about it. After the last undefeated team loses, he always references the '72 Dolphins and that they will be having champagne that night. Then he just sits there like the colossal big idiot he is and you hear this really stupid cheesy sound of a cork being popped. Then he moves up and down in his chair (like he likes to do when he thinks he is being funny) and has this stupid ****-eating grin on his face, all the while Tom Jackson is dying laughing (I love the Broncos and TJ but it is a joke how he has become Berman's "sidekick").

9. tulexan

tulexan Member

That team is overrated too. They beat 2 teams that had records over .500

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Word...Plus their remaining schedule is weak too...They are pretty good and have a good shot, but I hope they don't go unbeaten all season...

11. tulexan

tulexan Member

I was talking about the 72 Dolphins. Patriots are not overrated, they are unstoppable.

12. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

"The celebrating they do when other teams lose has diminished what they accomplished" - anyone who wasn't on the 72 Dolphins

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Somebody feed that old fart a 16 oz ribeye, a baked potato, corn on the cob with lots of butter, and a big slice of German Chocolate cake for dessert.

All of the weight he's lost with NutriSystems is increasing his senility rate to warp speed.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, I read that. It shouldn't be surprising... that entire '72 Dolphins group consists of some of the most insecure, whiny people I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, how dare people root for the failures of others in sports? We're all here celebrating the good sportsmanship of the Rockets, not them actually beating other teams and celebrating that fact.

I don't have one single problem with them wanting to keep that record, especially now that it's been so long.

How many of you had a problem with Calvin Murphy when he tried to jinx everyone who came close to breaking his free throw record streak? I know Micheal Williams didn't.

Of course, I don't like that he's already calling this season an * one. But as far as the celebrations in and of themselves, I have no problem with.

16. almu_caca

almu_caca Member

no matter what happens, hes so right about no one ever beating their record.

"..If they want to join the unbeaten club, come on aboard."

17. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

All of the 72 dolphins disgust me. These guys need to go away. Every time there is an undefeated possibility, these assholes come out of the woodwork and weasel their way into the spotlight one way or another. I want to fight all of them.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I hope the Patriots just obliterate everybody...and then lose in the first round of the playoffs.

I am really, really tired of the 72 Dolphins.

Of course in due time the 07 Patriots could be way more annoying...

19. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

If this is your take on the situation, you are in the minority with this thought process.

20. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Shula and the entire '72 Dolphins team:

[​IMG]