1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The secret behind the P90X fitness craze

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 2, 2011.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

This is exactly right. People don't realize how much structure they crave. They want to be told exactly how to do something. Most people don't want options. They don't want to go read a few different websites and books about training & dieting that say, "you can do it this way" or "you can do it that way" or "you can eat this low carb diet" or "you can try this low calorie diet". "you can train MWF" or "Tue / Thur". They want to be told EXACTLY what to do and on what days to do it on.

It's the same reason why facebook is so popular. Do you think Zuckerburg asks what people want before he puts out an update? No. He just does what he thinks is best for everyone, makes the change and people just complain a little and then fall in line. Its one of the reasons why myspace collapsed and facebook took over. Myspace gave people too many options to make their pages look and feel how they wanted with html and music. Facebook is more dictator style and your page looks how they want it to look. The general public is lazy. They want to be told what to do and how to do it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yes for the most part its justified. Fitness is one aspect you CAN have SOME control in and SHOULD. Also "gym culture" is actually still a relatively new thing in society, just a few decades old. The more available the knowledge and techniques, the more positive results put out there, the more people that will pick up on it.

So all in all its good. I have fun poking at American culture, but while I don't think people think some things through enough, I don't think P90X is some big social experiment. (I saw where he was coming from, but my cynicism isnt as serious as moes :p )

Also, my opinion is actually more about the FEMALES than it is the males. Females obsess over this crap. And that I think males are starting to pick up on that sentiment. OR, which I think is mostly the case, I just know some REALLY VAIN people into this kind of thing who give it a bad image :(

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That equally supports the CRITICISM of people as much as it makes a case for them :) The consumers probably SHOULD explore their options deeper besides just picking up on the big fads that everyone else is doing. Where feeling the need to "fit in" overrides everything else.

Anyway its getting away from the actual P90x here. In the end, exercise and looking good is good. Just please don't turn "douchebag" upon completion.