1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The secret behind the P90X fitness craze

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 2, 2011.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

9 out of 10 clutchfans members probably know how to download p90x for free.

It's obviously super effective from everything I've read and seen. I like lifting but wouldn't be too surprised if I tried it out one day.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

And he had a 6 pack while he said that making some semi-gay poses later.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That would only make too much sense.

But, out of 50 people, managements like having all 50 people follow one schedule as close as possible, rather than having individualized schedules among many workers simply cuz its easier to keep track of

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sorry.

That book said more about American culture than nearly anything else in the last 20 years.

5. Shroopy2

I have always disliked anti-America attitude and the "Lets look to Europe for inspiration" sentiment.

BUT, I don't know whats happened to me of late. All the American flawed ideology is appearing to me this year in HUGE amounts to where I want OUT lol. At least for a little while.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't want out, I just want more people to recognize that if things remain the same, there will soon be no more America as we know it and only the lucky ones will get out.

7. SacTown

SacTown Member

I agree with everything moes is saying EXCEPT for wanting to work out and take care of your health and look good. There is nothing wrong with feeling AND looking healthy while getting extra attention from the opposite sex and wearing clothes that fit.

8. Shroopy2

Me adding to what he's saying, I think its the fact that -

Despite all the calls for progressivity in the nation, despite all the attempts at being a "well rounded" person, being sympathetic to important issues...being well read, wise and logical and being a good humanitarian to your fellow man...

in the end its

ALL
    ABOUT
    THE IMAGE.

P90x might as well mean Physicality90 X more important than anything else going on in the universe.

Mother F***ing grown MEN on these exercise infomercials CRYING big long tears about how they were so down and out before Tony Horton came into their lives? And didnt we hear for the past few decades about how its whats in the "inside" that counts? So how come all these women want NOTHING more in their lives than to get into shape to get into some skimpy summer clothes?

Not like its some new discovery, just to me there's a big difference between what people preach and what their ACTUAL motivations really are.

Which is to be a w**** (jk). But really I wish people would at least be as honest in saying what you just said - Attracting the opposite sex is very important.

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Gullible fatties?

Oh hoh Ronny you fox. You absolute fox.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I know it's wrong but I kept picturing Mo'nique as I read through Moes' posts.:p

If people are getting in better shape, even temporarily and for the wrong reasons, it's better than nothing. I know some people who clean up when they're upset about something. The clean house doesn't change the problems on the inside...but it's still better than having those same issues with a filthy home.

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Maybe. But for me, I had tried all kinds of programs and nothing worked for me until I did P90x. And even not following the diet plan, I lost a ton of weight. (pics behind spoiler tag)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So, be as critical of it as you want, but I love it and it changed my life. I'm sure there are many other programs out there that work, but this is the one that worked for me and I'm sticking with it. I could care less about "looking like a movie star" or having six pack abs. I just did it to live a longer, healthier life.

12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

It's been over a year for me since I "graduated". Now I just count my calories & sodium using MyFitnessPal.com and do Cardio X a couple of times a week and Yoga X once a week. I'm almost back to my High School weight.

13. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

So is putting on a nice shirt for work. Just because you don't obsess over image, doesn't mean you should dress like a slob, or in P90x's case, let yourself become obese. I mean, you could, but in the end, you're only doing yourself a disservice.

I fail to grasp how people are railing against exercising, regardless of methodology :confused::confused::confused:

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Dumb argument is dumb.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nobody should be complaining about exercising, and I do think there is some jealousy in complaining about America's obsession with image, but I do think most people are falling victim to the need to look like the people in the videos. There is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy, but then we would be primarily focusing on cardio rather than having a six pack and bulging muscles.

In the end people are free to do and complain about what they want to. I wouldn't mind trying P90x myself, but I don't want to pay for something I don't think I'll stick to.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

"I'm comfortable being overweight and it bothers me that you people aren't!"

1 person likes this.
  17. Acedude

I understand your points. It is a free country, and you can do whatever you want.

I'm not in great shape. I have trouble with some of the exercises. I can't even finish 2/3 of Plyo, so forget about Insanity. I have only toned down my diet to a reasonable level (a diet I can maintain for the rest of my life, so not nearly as healthy, but way better than before). I haven't lost a single pound and I'm on week 5. /sadface

Of course you CAN get that 6 pack, but a huge amount of sacrifices are involved, something I know I'm not willing to commit. People on the show have been exercising for most of their lives, and it's just absurd for people to think they can look like them after 90 days, or even a year.

For me, I keep my goals reasonable. I know I'm NOT counting calories or exercising 5, 6 days a week for the rest of my life, but you gotta start somewhere. I haven't lost any weight, but the waist size went down 1. The exercises are getting (ever so) slightly easier each time I do them, and it's a part of the *gasp* self-improvement process, and I can take joy in the little things.

The problem is instant gratification. I mean, people get impatient when a web page takes more than 5 seconds to load. :)

18. Shroopy2

Honest answer, I think its about the SUPPORT SYSTEM. And that Tony Horton looks like an All American good guy who can pull in the hos.

My overly pissy argument has little to do with actual exercise. Its not about being anti-exercise. Its not even against looking good. It was NOT "A denial of P90X is a denial of ALL exercise" thing. In fact I'm starting up a gimmicky workout pretty soon :grin:

The thread is about the ELEMENTS that make P90x the CRAZE and the huge money maker that it is. The CONTEXT around it.

Someone (moes) put in his context saying its based on Americans being gullible to marketing. Marketing that always target people's sense of inadequacy.

I think thats valid. The article talks about marketing, so why not mention the consumer influence side? I added to that (cynical like) saying, despite claims of progression, that a significant portion of America can really show its true superficial cultural roots in its consumerism. (But thats just a matter of personal perspective, not THE answer to anything)

Most people are saying its just a good product and it works, nothing more needed. Thats probably the most correct. Irony is people are pissing all over moes, when the first few replies of the thread are about people not even reading the article pissing on the OP. So what are we really talking about here again :eek:

19. Acedude

I agree, but only to some extent. I consider myself a skeptic for the most part, and I've seen the P90x commercials, but I didn't really think much about it. What got me to start considering it were the personal success stories, such as the 31-pages-and-counting thread we have in the Hangout.

Marketing does pray on the consumers' insecurities. But to classify people doing p90x as "victims" of capitalism and marketing, I have a hard time agreeing with that sentiment.

With the before/after photos, the physically fit congressmen, Youtube transformations videos, and threads like the one we have here, how many other exercise program has reached out to this many people and achieved tangible RESULTS?

Wouldn't you agree that the craze is justified?

20. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I think its has to due with the fact that P90x gives a lot of structure to people who are undisciplined. All you gotta do is pop in the DVD and do exactly what the guy on the TV is doing, its like having a really cheap personal trainer. Then theres the diet plan that tells you exactly what and how to eat. The marketing definitely helps along with the promise of a whole new you in just 3 months. I went the conventional route and got in shape by weight lifting 3-4 times a week and eating a healthier diet. That probably took me around 9 months, which is an eternity in our instant gratification society.

I wonder how many people actually maintain their lower weight, supposedly well over 90% of the people who lose weight by some special program or fad don't maintain that weight over the long term.