1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The secret behind the P90X fitness craze

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 2, 2011.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wrong. I have never coached any potatoes.

The problem isn't health, its the way advertising controls us.

America will turn any perceived inferiority complex into a multi-billion dollar industry.

But you're all too blind to understand that. You want the spray-tans, the six packs, the BMWs, the hair gel, and you want it all now.

Call me when it fills the void.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You'd have to include more than 45 mins or an hour...that's just the workout. Including travel time, shower, change of clothes, eating, etc., you'd be looking closer to 90 mins.

I think google's success has to do with the overall environment, past the gym time. You can work out, but if you're going to a depressing work environment after, it's not going to help much.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

We are a super fat country with a diabetes and heart disease crisis.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you mean eating less and working out more will burn fat and build muscle? you don't say.:p

really, there's nothing special about P90x. insert any random workout and diet, you will get the same results.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

all this time i was working out i thought I was doing so because i wanted to be healthy, live longer, feel better and be in good shape so that i can perform things i like (sports/outdoor activities)...turns out i'm just empty inside.:(

I know what i'll do...fill that void with cynicism and fat instead.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

And those people aren't buying P90X, they're ordering dominos.

But I'm sure Big Rx will fix everything soon enough, right FDA?

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sure, continue to miss the point entirely. Did I ever say there is anything wrong with wanting to be in good shape?

These things to me are a step below plastic surgery.

Its these idiot media outlets that tell you how to feel and what to think that is the real issue here.

Its all for the wrong reasons, being healthy is a state of mind, something you want to achieve... not some quick fix. You'll have people gaining all that weight back in no time. Its like quitting smoking, you've got to put in the work and commit to it for the rest of your life. A lot of people don't have that kind of will power and never will.

But you will be the ideal android, your soul won't start to rot until your mid 40s though, don't worry.

Have a nice life.

8. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

as did you.

9. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Dood, you started off with a jackass reply that made it seem you are insinuating that anyone who has interest in doing P90X is (as you put it) a fake bronze colored, BMW driving yuppy who cares more about having a six-pack than being able to play decent in a pick-up bball game. (run-on sentence?)

Have you ever tried P90X? It's a pretty good routine and helped me with my jumper being consistent for more than an hour of 3-on-3.

1 person likes this.
  10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

what was funny is that he made a jerky and sweeping comment about people working out being fake so i made a comment in return, which was supposed to show the ridiculousness of a similar statement but from the opposite end of the spectrum and he gets butt hurt

miserable man is miserable

11. van chief

van chief Member

A really nice set of headphones helps too.

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

actually, it seemed he was just making a point, which could be taken from the OP title itself.... craze.

Sure, eating right and a regular exercise routine would probably do everyone well enough, but the superficial need to "win" is for some a borderline disorder, and these "craze" type programs are frequently (notice I'm not incriminating anyone or specific program here) just the latest Excercizorz10.2 update that targets would be fanatics with aggressive marketing in order to make a buck.

Now, as usual, once pressed, he gave a colorful description of his point which was somewhat egregious and implicating, but I feel he did it for extreme example, and not to insult anyone. I could be wrong.

What's funny is the immediate "SHUT UP, FATTIE" responses.

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I agree. I don't think anyone (at least not me) has an issue with what Moe is saying...just the way he said it. It was a his usual colorful post but a bit too generalizing.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Moes has a point though...i hate it when people start talking about "getting fit" for the beach weather/summer. They also say it's time to be healthy...You're not trying to getting fit or becoming healthy, you're just temporarily looking better. They won't step inside a gym from september to march.

15. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Temporarily exercising and eating healthy is still better than no actions at all, no?

Summer season IS a good motivation for people to get fit. On that point I don't see anything wrong with people doing it. We all have different priorities and commitments in life, and there shouldn't be any moral high grounds on why people exercise. As long as people exercise for whatever reasons they might have, who are we to question other people's motives?

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm not the one who got "butt hurt".

Maybe what I said hit a little too close to home.

I did enjoy all the "shut it, fatty" responses though. If you love P90X and it works for you, great... knock yourself out.

But it is just what the title implies... a craze.

Tae Bo, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Sweatin' To the Oldies, P90X, Total Gym... its all the same thing. Capitalism compelling you to spend money to achieve an ideal.

I'm really not miserable at all, I'm comfortable with who I am and what I am and I don't need anybody to tell me otherwise. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

"Self improvement is masturbation" - Tyler Durden.

1 person likes this.
  17. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

You say capitalism = exploitation, and it's true in most cases.

But let's get a few things straight.

1. Exercising, getting in shape, eating healthy = good for you, physically and mentally.
    2. Americans don't do enough of things listed in #1.
    3. P90x fulfills a demand, allowing people to workout at home.
    4. P90x enables people, who otherwise would not have exercised, to be motivated, stick to a plan, and exercise/bring it.
    5. Beachbody makes money.
    6. People live a healthier lifestyle.

I see a win-win for capitalism and the consumers in this case.

And what's the point of life without self improvement?

1 person likes this.
  18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't take your cues from a crappy work of fiction.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I question it because these people don't even workout throughout the summer, but instead pack it into a 2-3 week span just to prep them for their vacation or even they are attending, where they'll drink and feast on junk food. There's no road to fitness or health there. So no, temporarily exercising and eating well isn't better under these circumstances. To get the benefits you have to do it the right way and have more consistency.

I understand we can't all dedicate an hour 3 or 4 times a week. We can't all afford healthy foods or dont have time to prepare them. Exercising can't always be a top priority, but that doesn't mean you can't be consistent about it. Who do you think will receive the greatest health benefit, the person who crams hardcore sessions every day for 3 weeks out of the year, or the person who takes long walks 3 times a week for 52 weeks?

I think we all know people who will claim to make the change every time something pops up on tv. They'll want to believe that's what they need and they'll just continue to collect the equipment and dvd sets. Broke up with their SO? Time to get fit. Lost their job? Time for a change, will start by getting fit. Saw Fast Five? Time to hit the gym and get fit. I'm sure we see a lot of that on facebook and Moes is right, they are missing something and fill the void with this, hoping it's what they need. Then they quit when it doesn get them that new SO or job. Or they get it and see no reason to keep working out now and quit.

Of course we all have some of that in us, but not all of us waste $50 on a DVD set every time.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Would be interested to see how many people who have done P90x have continued to keep the weight off.

Because to me P90x would seem to require a little bit more of a commitment than say the latest fad diet or the newest incarnation of the thigh-master that rots away in your closest a week after receiving it.

Sure it's a craze just like all the Wii workout games or Tae Bo before it. And while people inevitably make money off these things, if the consumer actually manages to become healthier and changes their lifestyle in the process, that's not a bad thing is it? We are an overweight nation, and if something like this gets more people off their asses, then good.

That said I haven't bought into the P90x hype because I'm pretty comfortable with my routine, which has paid dividends, and it was all free.