1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Saints win at SB = Courage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hakeemtheking, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This is my first thread, so please go easy on me.

Like many here, I watched the SB today. To me, Saints coach Payton and their players showed great courage by not playing safe. They were daring with 4th downs, onside kicks to start the 2nd half, etc...

Coach Payton understood that in order to win against favorite Colts and probably the best QB to ever play the game of football, they had to do the unconventional. They gambled big and they won big.

Similarly, I want RA to try different things. Virtually all the posters here agree that changes must be made to starting lineup. Therefore, let's have the courage to try different rotations. Let C-Bud and Dorsey start instead of Battier and Hayes. Give some real playing time to Jermaine Taylor and see what he can do.

The status quo is definitely not working, despite a much easier schedule than earlier in the year.

It is high time for a change. It is time to show courage and not be afraid to fail. Just like the Saints.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well i get your point, but in football one play means a ton more than in basketball. you're also talking about the two top teams in the league, so the talent is at a similar level, so its much easier to gamble....we dont have that luxury because we have 40 mill out of the lineup and out talent is usually less than other teams.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This is precisely the reason why RA should not be afraid to mix it up. I am just curious to see what these young guys can do with extended minutes. There is no shame in not making the playoffs in a tough western conference with $40M in street clothes, so let's go for it.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I just facepalmed myself for checking GARM before I got a chance to watch the tapes for the Super Bowl.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this makes no sense dude.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

lol other than making the title of the thread less football and more ROCKETS related, as the forum rules require for it to be here... this is interesting. I would say RA keeps the lineup for consistency and to keep his players calm so they don't worry too much about their positions.

7. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

Its hard to compare football to basketball,
    In Fb one play can change the course of the game, like a int or td, or turnover.

Also its not as simple as mixing things up in bb, you can't put hayes on pg spot, or let brook play center.

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

i hate you. i had it recorded because i had work to do. i come to the ROCKETS forum and you ruin it for me. thanks :mad:

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think the issue here is fans are looking at this season as if we were the t wolves or the nets....as in, nothig to really plan for in the immediate future. Teams like the nets, minny, kings, etc. they shuffle their lineups a lot. They got rooks riding the bench one min and playing 40 mins the next, trying to figure out what and who works....but we're not in their position just because we cant win a ring this yr, we actually have a plan in place already, a good foundation, something to look forward to and plan for....because of this the rockets wants to continue to develop and give the opportunities to those guys who'll be there next year with yao and tmac's replacement. To give them all more confidence, more experience, etc.

Taylor, dorsey and so on may give us a one or two week lift here and there, but i think it's safe to say they wont be there in the mix next year, so we'd be taking time from the guys that will be....i know it doesnt seem like we're planning on improving anything this year with our rotation, but it's a long season and a long offseason. I think by season's end guys like brooks, ariza, and landry will have come across many new in-game scenarios and they'll be able to process it in the summer, work on what's needed, and come back even better. I'm sure JT, dorsey, etc would benefit in the same way, but they're not important pieces of this puzzle just yet, if ever. The team needs to get the most out of the rotational players as they can, to evaluate them fully and determine how they fit and for how long. they'll be time later for the JTs and dorseys...

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

To be honest, what I took away from the Saints' win today was not risk taking, but being true to themselves and doing it their way, which for the entire season has been going for the big play on offense and defense. It didn't matter if the Colts were fast, they were going to run a reverse. It didn't matter if they had been getting killed while blitzing the entire game; late in the game up 7, they big blitz with 6 rushers and get the clinching TINT. I don't think that anything they did today was that far out of the ordinary for their team.

As it pertains to the Rockets, I believe the mantra of this team to be "nobody outside this locker room believes in us", and "we have each other's back no matter what". Messing with the starting lineup undermines both of these points, and has guys looking over their shoulders, rather than being happy to hand off the baton to the next guy. From what I've seen of Adelman, he's been very willing to experiment with rotations, but sticks to playing 10 men at the very most; something that all good coaches who aren't actively tanking should do.

I would hope that most posters would have a little more faith in Rick Adelman's system of developing players. You now have Brooks, Landry and Scola that have developed extremely nicely despite being "held back" early on. If Joey Dorsey develops into a productive NBA player after most other scouts had already given up on him (I remember hearing "the worst body language in the game" being thrown around), how can you fault Rick's system of having the rookies earn their playing time?

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

lol. I thought everbody knew who had won by now. Oh well, I won't just give you the scoreboard. :grin:

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

You lost me when you said something about starting Dorsey.

Joey Dorsey is a marginal NBA player at best. Why start your team's worst player just for the sake of change? That's not courage -- it's stupidity.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The saints got a lucky bounce. If they colts come up with the ball we are calling peyton an idiot for doing that and going for it on 4th down, but the bounce went the saints way and we are praising him as a hero.

Plus the rockets just don't have the talent to really compete.

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Thanks for the kind words.

IMO, Dorsey is much more in the mode of a center than Hayer will ever be, despite the latter great defensive prowess. Dorsey gives us a defensive presence that Hayes does not have.

To continue the status quo and expect something completely different that what we have seen in 40+ games is playing the safe route, and the safe route is a mediocre team at best.

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

That's football, this is basketball.

/thread.

16. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Almost 5 hours after the SB and you didnt know the outcome?
    i didnt watch the game but i knew who won shortly from all the media around us let alone all the "who dat" txt messages i got.

but anyways....

So because the Saints gambled on the biggest game of their franchise history we should gamble the rest of our 32 games, the saints coach didnt swap around players the second half o fthe season shoot i think they were undefeated at that point of the seaso (correct me if im worng not much of a NFL fan) instead of keeping our line up steady and building confidence with the squad that we have now. I for one would like to see the rockets playing in may and maybe june who knows.

This pissed me off lol, the rockets have been playong with courage, heart, and hustle all year.

:cool:

17. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

One more thing,
    We are not doing that bad, people need to claim down.

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I remember that in 2007, I had to catch a plane ride during Game 7 of the Rockets-Jazz series. Had a terrible feeling about the game, couldn't even bear to turn on the TV, go to ESPN.com or Yahoo Sports, because I knew the outcome would be on the front page. Managed to cut myself off from all sports media for 24 hours. The only place I thought I might be safe is email. Went to Gmail, and the context sensitive news feed on the top of the page says "Van Gundy wants to return after playoff loss".

I have never hated Google more than I did at that very second.

19. Mr. Space City

msglength

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

**** the Saints