1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The sad part: This is all legal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fchowd0311, Apr 13, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

https://unusualwhales.com/i_am_the_senate
    Should this be legal?

Also can Pelosi's district just not vote for Pelosi anymore? Please for the love of god... I never understood why people are infatuated with her.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

It gets complicated because many of these people are already deeply entrenched in the market and buying and selling. In general terms yes I believe they should be illegal.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think we should make the federal legislator position both Senate and House a position where one recieves a lifetime quality salary, quality housing that can be passed down to their offspring etc and should be legally obliged to divest all their shares in the markets if they have any and are from then on not allowed to trade stocks. We need legislators who are contempt with their wealth status and see the job as a civil service.

This will probably detract a lot of potential future candidates for office but those type of people are the crux of the problem. People born into wealth who want to use congress as a means to keep on growing said wealth. This method will only attract careerists who see the federal legislative position as a civil service rather than some stepping stone for more wealth and clout.

I know this is a pipe dream utopia system but maybe we can get closer to this ideal?

Nook likes this.
  4. DonatelloLimestone

Yep it should be, we even have this problem with local mayors in Houston. For some reason they think its ok to be apart of business plans they have insider info on. Meanwhile on the national scale politicians point fingers at each other, funnel us into these two binary tribes like sports teams to mindless cheer ‘our’ side on, while they sustain power yearly, both take part in terrible fundraising practices, Gerry meandering to compromise our democracy, and move on with some of the worst approval rates.

I think that any public servant, politician, cop, judge, city commissioner, sherriff, school intendent that we entrust with power and privileges of the people’s resources, they should be held to the highest degree. Move out those non violent criminals or small drug charges and make room for these snakes would be more worthwhile 30k-80k prisoner spending.

Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. DonatelloLimestone

I think it’d help to look around the world and point to functioning governments that operate this way successfully and sustainably and then see where we can apply it locally and grow from there.

Nook likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Nothing a blind trust can't solve.

Next.

7. Buck Turgidson

LOL, he always has been a lazy son of a b!tch

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I think we need to stop with the lobbying allowances first and then take it from there. It has gotten extreme and the office holders in most cases are only holding the people back. We have gone from progressive to behind the times.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget this guy. Honestly, these politicians are all out for themselves, regardless of how they spill their "We care about you" BS.

Rep. Dan Crenshaw Decided Pandemic Was Perfect Time to Buy and Not Disclose Stocks
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/texas...e-perfect-time-to-buy-and-not-disclose-stocks

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that all sitting members of the Congress, Federal judges, President, VP and Cabinet members should be required to put their assets into blind trusts. The ethics committees, inspector generals and other watchdogs should be more empowered to look at conflicts of interests.

That said I'm not sure we can just expect people to serve out of the their belief in civil good and also think that would end up discouraging many capable people from serving in government. I think we need the investigations and penalties to be far more robust along with much greater transparency.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't live in Pelosi's district anymore so don't know the exact appeal but the feeling I get from many is that she is Democrat's Mitch McConnell. She's a very cagey and capable leader who understands how to wield power and influence for Democrats. Without her Democrats would have a much harder time getting legislation passed or opposing the GOP when they are in the minority.

fchowd0311 likes this.