1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets should target O.G. Anunoby, not Jaylen Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 21, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

There's been so much talk on this forum about trading for Brown, even though as far as I can tell he will probably not even be available to the Rockets.

(Brown will only leave the Celtics if he misses All-NBA, which probably won't happen, and the Rockets would only trade for him if he agreed to sign an extension. Only Bill Simmons thinks he's interested in Houston, and it's Bill Simmons we're talking about here, c'mon.)

Here are the points in favor of Anunoby as a trade target:
    • Anunoby is more likely to be available on a re-tooling Raptors team.
    • Anunoby would likely be less expensive in terms of the trade assets needed to acquire him.
    • He is a year younger than Brown, which helps with the timeline of our young core's development.
    • He likes Nick Nurse, so if that's our coaching hire, he's more likely than Brown to re-sign as a free agent.
    • For what it's worth, advanced statistics think he's nearly as good as Brown: RAPTOR has him #61 to Brown's #78, VORP has him #80 to Brown's #56, Win Shares has him #88 to Brown's #80.
    I would not trade Green, Jabari, or Sengun for him personally, nor a top 5 pick in this draft. Some package centered on Tari Eason + draft picks (Clippers, Brooklyn, etc) could make sense for both parties.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

not sure why being a year younger than Brown is a positive talking point…Brown is 26, OG is 25…the difference is insignificant

Brown is also the significantly better player

OG likes Nick Nurse? He was crying about his offensive role all season.

a lot of these catch all advanced stats are crap, I’m sorry…no one can say with a straight face that OG is nearly as good as Brown

put OG on last year’s Celtics instead of Brown and tell me they’re just as good and are making the finals…they’re not

3. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Only on this ****ing board would somebody make the statement that a player ranked lower by 17 slots (which is more than 20%) is "just as good". This attitude is the exact reason why Houston sports teams (other than the Astros) always fall short.

If you can sign Brown, you get him, I don't care if Nurse or Vogel like him or not. Players win games, not coaches.

BigggReddd and DaDakota like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Too expensive.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to be as dismissive as the first two posters, because I see what you're saying: while OG isn't as good as Brown, he is still "good" in a vacuum and would probably be significantly cheaper/more available.

I'm not sure what his contract status is, but he'd be a nice player to have. I wouldn't part ways with any of our young core three guys for him tho, and I would consider trading ONE of them for Brown.

Streakshooter likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I always chuckle when Clutchfans says our young stars like Green, Smith Jr, Sengun are untouchable and thus off the table for guys like Anunoby, Brown etc.

The fact is, teams that want to actually win games and that have ticking clocks, like say, Boston, or even Toronto - don't want any part of those types of players because they are simply not good enough yet to compete at the level that Boston inhabits or that Toronto aspires to inhabit.

Like, if Toronto wants to tank, they can just trade for future picks and...tank, they don't need any of our players to do it.

7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Segun
    Wemby Jakob Poelt
    Og Annoby
    Brown
    Harden
    W/ kpj

That team is gonna be gud

Jabari + Green + 2 picks for brown
    Eason + Kenyon Martin + pick for OG

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

no thanks. Since this is actually about the two specifically, I don't want the dollar store version of someone trying to tell themselves they're just as good as the actual all nba/all star elite player who's a proven impact player on a top contender.

OG is no where near Brown and never will be. You don't take a role player over an all nba player.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Watchu talkin bout? Which player is "17 slots" better than the other and where?

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If Toronto is moving off of OG, they are likely moving in a different direction. They would love to have Sengun or Green over him.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Agree he's a better fit but I'm not forking over more than 2 good picks for him and Tari himself is worth a top 10 pick.

If they want to take KPJ, Tari and a lottery protected pick I'm all for it. The pieces we've drafted are star-types so I'm partial to bringing in well priced elite role players over second tier stars.

I would rather have Jaylen Brown though because the only way he'll come is if he forces their hand and when that happens it won't cost us much more than Kyrie cost the Mavs.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Go for both...

Green/ KJM/ Tate/ pick 20 for Brown

Sengun/KPjr/ TyTy for OG and Flynn

Harden / Flynn
    Brown / Christopher
    Anunoby / Eason
    Smith / vet
    Wemby / MLE vet / Garuba

tycoonchip and BamBam like this.
  13. SamFisher

Not necessarily.

Barnes, Anunoby and Siakam all tend to operate in the same area on the court, which is one of fhe reasons why they struggle in half court.

Putting a veteran player makes tons more sense with Siakam older and on a big deal than putting young, mistake prone, low effort defensive basketcases like the Rockets "core"

14. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Id do

green,Tate, KJ and 2 first..

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

He won’t be cheaper.

3 first round picks for Anunoby?
    4 first round picks for Bridges?
    5 picks for Rudolph Gobert?
    I’m paying high prices for non-franchise/non-superstar guys.
    ****’s crazy!

Mathloom and Corrosion like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Mobley will be the next Duncan

cml750 likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'd prefer to poach Siakam from that team. I wonder if he'll have nice comments to say about Nick Nurse? ;)

BamBam likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Hold up. Some of y'all really like putting words in other people's mouthes. I did not say Anunoby is just as good as Brown. I just posted what the advanced statistics say about him. Don't shoot the messenger. I think advanced statistics have some value, and may suggest Brown is slightly overrated, but I don't think they're the be-all and end-all of basketball evaluation.

To be perfectly clear, I do think Jaylen Brown is a better player than Anunoby. I just don't think he's good enough to be the best player on a championship team, and I don't think he makes sense as a trade target for the Rockets, even if he were available, which I don't think he will be. I think even though he's not as good, Anunoby makes more sense at their likely respective costs (in assets/contract).

Mathloom and javal_lon like this.
  19. SamFisher

Cuttino is retired?

tycoonchip likes this.
  20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lol I think you're a little lower on the Rockets young players than I am. I think there's a good chance Toronto blows it up and if they do, they'd love to have our CORE.

MystikArkitect likes this.