1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have a golden opportunity to get ahead in the divison

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by desi tmac91, Jan 4, 2012.

1. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

In the NFL David Garrard would suffer a back injury and was eventually cut by the Jaguars, and Peyton Manning needed neck surgery and was out for the year as well. Not saying that I was happy to see all those player injured but it appears the Rockets might have a golden opportunity just like the Texans did this year.

To those of you saying we should tank, take a look at this:

-Manu Ginobili has a fractured fifth metacarpal and Tim Duncan is a shell of his former self.
    -The Hornets traded Chris Paul.
    -Zach Randolph has torn his MCL and will be out at least 2 months.
    -The Mavericks have lost Tyson Chandler and are playing poor basketball.
    -The Rockets are 2-3 and are only one game back of the division leading Spurs (3-2).

The Rockets HAVE to take advantage here.

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Pretty crazy how this is all playing out. Lets just hope we don't have the same problem the Texans had this year with injuries.

3. Rockets_Texans

Yes they do. Just what the Texans did when the Colts lost Peyton Manning. Rockets have to play their hearts out today againt the Clippers.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, when is the Rockets version of the Matt Schaub/Mario Williams/Andre Johnson injuries coming?

5. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

The Basketball Gods are listening!

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

JINX :mad::mad::mad:

JK, we already are. :p

7. Prince

Prince Member

But...... but..... we don't have Chuck Hayes.

8. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I agree, it seems like WE were the ones having all the bad luck last season and now the tables have turned. Gotta take advantage and hope the basketball gods keep our key players relatively healthy along the way.

9. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

I think it would definitely convince a high caliber FA to come here if we won our division with the team as currently constructed.

IMO 1st in our division = Dwight Howard this summer

10. Raven

Raven Member

Take advantage and do what? Even if the Rockets sneak into the playoffs (and lose their first round pick), the current roster is incapable of winning a championship, so what's the point?

Given a choice between a top ten draft pick or making the second round, I'd prefer the top ten pick.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Honestly, do you think this team is bad enough to get a top 10 pick? Some of the bottom of the barrel teams are pretty terrible (and this team fights hard and has a ton of heart).

Might as well rebuild through free-agency and try to win now.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Have you ever been to a playoff game?

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Except we're not guranteed a top 10 pick.

We're not a contender, but are we really worse than the Nets, Wizards, Cavs, Raptors, Warriors, Hornets, Kings, Bobcats, Magic (depending where Howard goes) or Minnesota? What about the Suns (possibly post-Nash), Pistons, or Jazz? I don't think this team can sink to below any of those levels unless we completely blow up the roster.

I'll take a trip to the playoffs over the 11th pick any day.

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I don't care what they can do when they get into the playoffs, it's either tank or make the playoffs. Then people might want to come here - this is my guess of how Alexander sees it. No team wants to join a bottom losing team, even with a #1 pick in 2012 draft. It might take 2-3 years before stars come knocking at his door.

However, there's no reason for the Spurs nor Grizzlies to end lower than us.
    Grizzlies just added Speights and have shown what they can do with Zach and Manu is not that much of a factor anyway. Dream on..

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the season was shortened to 66 games, not16...that's the problem.

16. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Rockets will make this year the playoff

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah! Playoffs woo!

lol

18. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Get ahead of the division and do what? People act like this is a world beating team when, in reality, even with all the other teams' troubles, we're still struggling to win games just as they are.

I'm just going to enjoy our only real bright spot, and that is Kyle Lowry.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's too late to tank. We might as well win the whole damn thing.

Watching the game yesterday I wasn't left with the thought that we were clearly outmatched. On another night, in another venue, and with slight adjustments to the rotation, we can routinely beat those guys. Give it a chance before throwing in the towel.

20. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member