1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets are what we thought they were...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston288South, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Houston288South

In the famous words of Dennis Green, "The Rockets are who we thought they were...just like the Texans!".

We are a pretender and not a serious threat. This substitution situation just baffles me. How long does this last before Morey pulls the trigger on something? Also, I truly believe the Rockets will not fire Kevin McHale. Why? maybe the fact that McHale has had a long year with losing his daughter, etc. The organization probably won't do it.

If you're coaching of this team, what do you say to them? Also, what is a real solution with Lin? We've lost 8 of our last 9 and I'm extremely frustrated with McHale!

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets were never a serious threat. Young teams are usually pretty terrible.

3. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

At this point u can't blame players.. It's the coaching

4. Houston288South

Think about it, this same stuff happened last season. We had a stretch where we played well and we were like a 5th or 6th seed in the playoffs, then we lost a bunch of games and found ourselves outside the playoff race. This is pretty much happening right before our eyes yet again. History is repeating itself! Fool me once, shame on me...Fool me twice, shame on you!!

5. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

But they usually get better as the season progresses, not worst.

Trailblazers are going to get the eighth seed, we're going to have the 14th pick once again.

They don't even have a bench, they're only going to get better. The Hornets are playing great ball now. Of course they've got Eric Gordon back but even in games where he's been a total non-factor it's clear as day that their young core has gotten better.

Right now the Rockets look more like the Kings than the Trailblazers or Hornets.

6. Houston288South

Well said, and I agree 100%. At the point, we're the best lottery team in the Western Conference and this is with the Lakers playing horrendous

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Rockets are what we thought they were. Th-they're what we thought they were. We played them in preseason. I mean, who the hell takes the third game of the preseason like it's bull****? Bull****! We played them in the third game, everybody played three quarters... the Rockets are who we thought they were! That’s why we took the damn court! Now, *hits microphone* if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But, they are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook! :mad::mad::mad:

:grin:

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I thought the Rockets would be an average team, now they are clearly below average.

9. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

If beating the Bobcats feels like winning the championship, what does that tell you?

10. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Expected this team to struggle being that they have the youngest roster in the league. Still happy that this team has a future. Just gotta be patient.

11. Houston288South

Hahaha!! Post of the Year! You said what I wanted to say in its entirely, but I couldn't even get to that point. Well done JR...well done!

:grin:

12. alethios

alethios Member

When we were blowing teams out by double digits pretty regular, I thought maybe we had something special here, that with an addition of another key player, could be a contender.

If you were to look at the graph of scoring differential 7 games before the flight to NO and the 7 games after, you would definitely see the fiscal cliff.

13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

We were lottery bound before the season.... Now we're lottery bound after the season..... What exactly did YOU think they were??..... In 2 years, we'll be singing Morey's praises.....

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Clutchfans is becoming more full with whiny babies who don't understand anything about simple variables such as youth, transition from college to NBA, transition of roles, so on and so fourth.

Stop being so dramatic. We have one of the brightest futures in the whole NBA and that is very real. I know "be patient" has been almost the motto of the Rockets years past; but, this time you have something real to be patient about.

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I think it's the fact that we start out the past couple of seasons good/great, then decline in execution and play as the season progresses.... Seems like the teams that are jumping us were terrible and got better over time...But we were trying to maintain until some miracle trade scenario happens in recent years... Then we inexplicably, tail off horribly in the 2nd half of the season....It's a what have you done for me lately vibe amongst our fans.... Then we seem to recognize a pattern of sorts during Morey's tenure IMO

16. Roxs

Roxs Member

I suppose there's an inherent problem in trying to tell people on the internet - an always on, 24/7 news cycle world - to be patient.

Though it wouldn't be so bad if we alternated wins/losses instead of going through these streaks.

17. AbrahamLincoln

Our win streak and ppg average really inflated peoples hopes. We are an average team with players that need to develop. Everyone wants trades and other rookies to start. Everyone wanted a rebuild. We have that now. It's not the coaching, its the players being inconsistent and noobs. Once this team has a full season and offseason of playing together we can expect that 5th seed of 6th seed that everyone was eyeing a few weeks ago. Ive been saying for weeks that we don't have a starter on the team that is in a role he has held previously. Everyone is learning. The good news is we are the youngest in the league and being average is an accomplishment for a team this young. The turnovers are so difficult to watch though. Makes me wanna break something.

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I was wondering.. Morey has the knack for stats and advanced analysis..

but is the guy doing the eye test? I feel as if the person making the final decision has to be eye test trained.

and that means knowing basketball like you've actually played it.

but morey is a nerd. has he ever even played basketball? hear me out. I think he's done great. But I have a feeling he doesn't know basketball from the POV that I'm referring to

19. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Coaches hold a bigger responsibility in this.
    1. coaches are responsible at motivating the team. (look at how doc rivers talk to celtics. check how phil jackson motivated shaq in thier championship year.)
    2. they are also responsible at knowing how to use your players to the best of thier abilities.
    3. they are also responsible at each and every players development.
    4. they are also partly responsible at thier health (playing time vs rest. look at how coach pops rest his vets.).

its not just about Xs and Os... currently we have a coach that doesn't take any responsibilities...

20. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

you dont have to play basketball to know it... look at OKC's GM...