1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Ringer) Rockets seriously interested in Robert Covington trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Moronic take, per usual.

Would rather trade Tucker, Thabo, Clark & FRP for Covington and Bates-Diop, save Capela for another bigger trade if opportunity presents itself.

xaos likes this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Not withstanding DD always being wrong

Don't you think we want both Tucker and Covington on the team?
    I'm all for giving up Capela for RoCo IF it brings us back assets we can flip for a (eg) Nerlens Noel or Kyle O'Quinn (or both). But it'd have to be the right deal. Tucker/ RoCo/ House gives us some decent size (in terms of mass), length and athleticism in that 3/4 spot. I could see them all playing in a death lineup with Harden and Westbrook

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

agree. clint has been beasting and people want to trade him for a role player like covington ? yall have to stop overrating this dude. you guys love to use net rating to try and bash westbrook, yet covington is a net negative this year on the wolves and yall act like he's the second coming. when does he lock anyone down ? ive yet to see it. he seemed like a great defensive player next to joel embiid, but i sure haven't seen anything since he left.....

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lol, Covington is redundant, we have a bigger need.

DD

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Redundant, likely. 'Bigger', indeed.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There is no such thing as too many wings who can shoot and defend.

However...we won't be adding a player like that due to Tilman.

Deuce and treyk3 like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Robert Covington provides more than Kevin Love at 1/3 the cost.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Chamillionaire

He's an upgrade over House, maybe, but not by much. If we add him, great. But that's still not enough to win a chip IMO.

We need to add another legit scorer who can put up 25+ consistently. If EGo can come back and ball out, then we have a legit chance. He looked like **** though so far this year (injury).

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

14 Points
    15 Rebounds
    2 Blocks
    65% Shooting
    Great defense
    Elite PNR player

They aren't getting any players more impactful than Clint with that package. I don't think it's enough for Clint. I don't care if they have KAT, they would move him to the 4 and play him next to CC. They aren't playing well now and couldn't hurt just trying something new. Capela is younger, under longer team control and has more upside than Covington. His value is not only on the court but as a future trade piece he provides more than Covington will.

I'm sure D'Angelo Russell is a guy they are targeting but I'd rather have CC than Russell.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  11. Chamillionaire

He owned Towns the whole round. He owned Gobert too the next round. I guess it really is about matchups.

joshuaao, D-rock and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Yes, he IS more than "maybe an upgrade over House, but not by much". He is a vastly superior player and he wouldn't be taking minutes from House anyway.

#2 Guess who else could use another scorer that puts up 25+ consistently? Every single team in the league. There are 10 players in the entire league averaging 25 or more points.

HoustonCRT, D-rock and Chamillionaire like this.
  13. Chamillionaire

I guess my point is, we're not winning a chip until we get another legit scorer. If we have to count on Tucker, House, Clint, or any of our other guys to be consistently scoring (Can we really count on Westbrook to have an efficient series?), we're gonna get bounced again in the playoffs. We're definitely not going to defend better than the other top tier teams IMO.

And he would be taking minutes from House, Tucker, and EGo. Which isn't a bad thing by any means.

Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know is Minnesota is still interested in Capela. They have a couple high priced centers on their roster than haven't done much. However I will say this, KAT is better at the 4, and with the style they play, Capela would be a good fit for them. They conceivably would have to feel good about a front line of Capela/Kat/Wiggins.... they would really need something at the 2 spot but they have Culver to develop.

The Wolves need help defensively. They have a number of good three point shooters.

I agree with you that in a bubble Capela is more valuable. He is younger, plays a demanding position and is under long term control. Capela also fits into the Timberwolves window age wise.

Capela for Covington and a draft pick or Covington and Bell and Diop is a fair trade.

treyk3 likes this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Diop makes a lot of money so that's where it starts getting difficult (in that scenario).

Capela for Covington and a pick is fair (+ salary matching); but my trepidation is, Whither our size? We're basically "CENTER-6'5" GUYS-6'1" GUYS". I know Dan Tony's traditional disdain for centers, but we're consistently beaten up by bigger teams (can't wait to see what happens against the Lakers).

Not that you're unaware of any of this. Obviously we'd have to swing for a Nerlens Noel or some other center on a more palatable contract. Which was probably the plan once Capela was traded at the draft (probably to Boston).

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Just to be clear, there is no doubt having another efficient scorer that can carry the Rockets would be great, there just are not many available.

I think the Rockets can win a championship if they add a few pieces around Harden and Westbrook. Primarily good defenders that can switch and also hit open 3's and run the floor.

Adding Covington and someone like Diop and losing Capela would likely result in the Rockets making another deal for someone like Noel.

We would likely see "Noel" type player get 25 minutes a night at the 5 with Covington getting 15+ and then Tucker or Chandler getting the Rest.

The vast majority of the rest of Covington's minutes would likely be at the 4 with some at the 3 too.

Tucker would likely be more effective playing less minutes.

As for House, he mostly would need to worry about someone like "Diop" taking his minutes, or Gordon when he comes back.

Such a hypothetical deal would make the Rockets deeper too.

Chamillionaire and treyk3 like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Diop only makes $1.5 million so that part isn't hard.

As for size, a trade for Covington only is optimal if they have someone like Noel in a second trade.

Hypothetically the Rockets would actually be longer at some times with Covington at the 4 instead of the smaller Tucker.

As for the Lakers, I am curious as well...... Although I will tell you I would feel more comfortable with Covington and Noel defensively than Capela..... Covington can guard Davis and James when matched up against them......... also with Covington the Rockets can run the floor even better.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, would love to pair RoCo with Tuckwagon. But need to give to get. Capela has more value than Tucker and should be held back for better trade, if necessary.

RoCo is longer, younger and more athletic than PJ. Covington is also the better rim protector and offensive performer.

And most importantly, PJ is on expiring contract while both Covington (and Clint) are locked up for few more years on great contract.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think you are mistaking Keita Bates-Diop for Gorgui Deng.

20. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I like Covingtion and the team needs help defensively as well as height at the wing, but center is the most important defensive position and trading Capela isn't the answer.

He is averaging 14 and 14 with excellent defense, runs the floor and is a great finisher for lobs. Him and Tucker are critical to the team's defense and honestly I wouldn't trade them for this team's chemistry.

If it's possible to for Morey to find a lesser name, hidden gem type or make smaller moves as an alternative, but trading Capela or Tucker would be desperate imo and hurt the team.

joshuaao and bratna8 like this.