1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Ringer) Rockets seriously interested in Robert Covington trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

In the summer, it's because we're hopeful for the future if we make a trade. Now, it's because we're dreading what will happen if we don't make one.

Plus, what @CK Johnson wrote about the weather. 80 and humid? In middle December? Seriously?!

Beautiful right now though.

2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Having looked at the cited trade machine trade (which looks a lot like what @steddinotayto proposed upthread), would the Rockets rebounding fall off too much going from Capela to Kantner and Covington? Capela has been a a rebounding beast lately. Also, wasn't there some beef between the Rockets org and Kantner over something a few years ago, or was that just playoff frustrations and heat of the moment stuff?

3. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

We have a big that can hit 3s and his name is Isiah. He's attempted exactly 1 three with the Rockets in about 100 minutes played. I don't know why people think that Morey is going to prioritize a big that can shoot 3s when he / D'A have shown no interest in using the bigs they have that way.

Offense isn't the Rockets problem. Defense is. I don't believe that Morey is going to bring in an offensive oriented big (Love). He's going to look for defensive upgrades who can spot up shoot the three ball (Covington).

Blurr#7, D-rock, napalm06 and 3 others like this.
  4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Lol @ Westbrook for Teague and Covington.... this forum gets worse everyday with the dumb ****

D-rock and Lurch like this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK, sorry - - I haven't been keeping up with this thread yet I have a question (that perhaps has been answered already???): if Covington then whose minutes are eaten? When EGo is a go go, whose minutes are eaten? With the two of them what are the rotation minutes going to look like?

When is EGo due back? Soon, no?

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets need taller players not switchable defenders that are best suited for today's NBA. Taller slow ones are better because they are taller.

DD

Nook likes this.
  8. realonemo

realonemo Member

Best case scenario: RoCo
    Worst case scenario: Crowder

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You forgot athletic and can shoot the 3.

And that type of defense needs a bunch of 6'7-6'9" guys.....who on our team qualifies?????

DD

10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

He's not coming here, but if he were, my guess is that he'd take a lot of Tucker's minutes at the 4. Tucker would spell Capela, or sit, but he'd come down from his currently ridiculous 35.8/game. The most of his career as an NBA player, FWIW. When Tucker played, RoCo could slide to the 3 and bump Mac or House.

It'd be challenging for MDA to balance everyone's PT and egos. Pun somewhat intended.

Per Bijani's Twitter, it was projected Gordon'd be six weeks out when he got cut on, 13 November.
    So...New Year's Day maybe?

11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

What would it take to pry Noel out of OKC? (Inspired by something either @Nook or @heypartner wrote in another thread.) He doesn't shoot the 3, but he looks otherwise like 80-90 percent of what Capela gives you, at a much cheaper price. How about Kyle O'Quinn from Philly? He's short at least, LOL.

Because there will be no trades of significance w/o moving either Tucker's, Capela's, or Westbrook's salaries. The first and last would allegedly piss Harden off to no end, so if you want a big trade, Capela has to be the guy. And if you ship Capela out, you need someone to play the 5 for more than 3 minutes at a time.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You are describing Robert Covington.

13. Nook

Nook Member

He makes 2.5 million and is on a one year deal..... plus it isn't like OKC really wants to win that bad.

So most likely a second rounder..... I am sure that OKC hopes that they can get several teams interested and get a future protected #1, but there isn't a strong market for him.

He is a good player at 20-25 minutes a night. He is long, rebounds, can block shots and get steals..... he cannot shoot but is a good lob partner, he finishes well inside.... he can have issues with his focus and at times be foul heavy.

Still playing him for 20-25 minutes a game is very possible, and he won't embarrass himself out there. Most likely the other minutes would be split up between Tucker and whatever 4/5 they trade Capela for.

D-rock and Gray_Jay like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Robert....... Covington?

yeah.

15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Thanks for the synopsis on him. Sounds like he'd be serviceable. I just liked his DBPM when searching for targetable bigs. O'Quinn didn't look bad there either, though I've not watched him play.

A couple of questions. Do you think Morey waits to make a big move until Nene can be moved, so 14 January or later? It's only 2.5, but it's non-guaranteed, so should be somewhat attractive.

Who in the NBA wants Capela, and is willing to send out in return someone the Rockets can use, or that a hypothetical 3rd team (with the Rockets' targeted player) could use?

16. Nook

Nook Member

Hartenstein was 17 for 63 in the G-League..... that is 27% from 3. He doesn't need to be shooting any 3's at the NBA level at this point. He doesn't shoot 3's because they have no confidence he will make them.

No, the Rockets are not going to look for a center that can shoot 3's but not defend. They would however have interest in a player that can cover the 4/5 well defensively and can hit 3's.... which is what Covington is capable of doing.

It was a couple years ago, but I also remember MDA talking about the Rockets having interest in someone that could play the 5 and shoot 3's. They also have worked out marreese speights several times over the last few years.

The emphasis on shooting 3's as a 5, is less significant than being able to defend well at several positions, to be able to switch and get out in transition.

raining threes and HP3 like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

O'Quinn was someone linked to the Rockets a few seasons ago. He is not as good a defender and he is not someone that is likely to run as well in transition as Noel. However, he has a massive wingspan and can hit the 3. I am not sure that the Sixers will want to move him though.

Depends really. I don't think it really is on Morey as much as his ability to find a team willing to trade.

Most of what I have heard about Capela is at least months old. Most of his interest has come from Boston.

D-rock, raining threes and Gray_Jay like this.
  18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Thanks for the replies. I find it weird that Boston wants him, considering it looks to me like they already have a backlog of bigs (Tatum, Theis, Kanter, Williams and Williams). Though none of those are truly big besides Kanter. Well, and Tacko Fall, but he's out.

I would think Robert Williams would fit in fantastically here.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As I said he makes us a bit better, but is not a difference maker and I don't think he is 6'8" - he is more like PJ Tucker who is also undersized.
    DD

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

RoCo - 6'7 without shoes with 7'2 wingspan and 37 vert.

Tucker - 6'5 without shoes with 6'11 wingspan and -10 vert.

You are right again, they are exactly alike.