1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The revenge game of Yao Ming: China vs Australia (second round)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Jul 6, 2002.

1. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Good work Prlen. Thanks for the info.

Is it in the previous two games, China changed their strategy. It appears Ming played more in his role of magneting the defence of other team while much more shots were then made by the guards. China made 10 3-point shot in the win against Yug and a lot of jump shots in this Aus game. Even Bateer made a 3-point shot in this game.

If that is the case, our steve will do better than that with Ming at centre.

:)

2. SHANK

SHANK Contributing Member

I'd like to see some box scores of games that TEAM USA played

against international competition. How did some of our college

and NBA players fare against the other countries? I'm sure that

we kicked some ass, but some player comparisons would be

interesting. Anyone have some spare time?

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

If you want to compare Bradley to anyone it should be Cato. Their games are very similar. Both use the summer as vacation time rather than improving their game, both need others to motivate them into doing their job, neither have any offensive moves..

Comparing Ming to Bradley is like comparing New York City to New York New York Hotel in Las Vegas.

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

clarence, you have to understand that some people are only smart enough to compare two objects based on the appearance. They say Ming is a Shawn Bradley just because they are both 7'6". But they are also the ones who say a crocodile is a lizard because they both have 4 legs and crawl on the ground.

5. BTM

BTM Member

You saw the olympics. Yao had one block and then was a non-factor joke. He's pathetic and the only reason he was drafted so high is because he's from China and the publicity it brings.

Meanwhile the real publicity should've been around Jay Williams the real superstar and college POY. Why not just trade Steve for a star big man and get Jay!?

So much better. But hey, the Rocks only care about putting stupid CC.net fans who homer out on every pick in the seat. The Rocks could've picked Chris Christofferson and you guys would be saying he's gonna be great.

6. ScreamingRocketJet

Nice work windandsea.

I shall try and get some Australian bews reports. None available so far.

Two bad games v us would have been a worry. I am glad that he appears to have been more agressive.

It's obvious he is a bit tired. That in itself isn't good, as he has a long NBA season on the horizon.

BTM...your sig is wrong. Chris certainly did not 'school' Ming. More, Chris, Melmeth and others contained him. Big difference. I am pleased they couldn't do it again over night it seems.

7. clarence lui

clarence lui Member

BTM,

First of all you have to learn how to count. There were two clean blocks and a couple of questionable calls on Yao's attempted blocks. Also, you could not have seen the game if you did not see the potential Yao demonstrated on both sides of the court.

So a 19-yr old center on a substantially weaker team got into foul trouble playing the basketball super-power of the world. Isn't that what every body would expect?

What nobody expected to see was a humongous kid on a bad team showed flashes of potential in all areas - running, shooting, passing, decision-making, poise & maturity on both sides of the court. And that's what a lot of basketball connoiseurs saw but you didn't. But then again, it's not your fault. You're not paid to be able to see all the things that professionals like Rick Barry, Bill Walton and Larry Brown are supposed to see.

8. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

9. RocketForever

seems like they would rather let the guy break free than let Ming move 1 inch...

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Yugoslavia - Germany 86-73
    September 03, 2001

Antalya, TURKEY, September 2 (AP) - Predrag "Peja" Stojakovic of the Sacramento Kings scored a game-high 22 points, as Yugoslavia beat Germany 86-73 Sunday to reach the European Basketball Championship quarterfinals.

Germany could not keep pace with the deep Yugoslavian squad, which went 3-0 in group play.

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki had just four points for Germany by halftime and finished with 15 when he fouled out midway through the fourth quarter.

Germany's other Mavericks player, center Shawn Bradley, was ineffective in limited action . Germany, which was led by Ademola Okulaja's 18 points, will have to win a one-game playoff Monday to stay in the tournament.

Yugoslavia got 17 points from Seattle Supersonics draft pick Predrag Drobnjak and held Germany to 7-of-28 shooting in the first half en route to a 41-26 lead.

``We played very professionally in the first half, but we let the game slip out of our control in the second,'' Yugoslavia's coach Svetislav Pesic said. ``We won't let that happen again.''

European Men's Basketball Championships, Group C, Day 3, Antalya, TURKEY, September 2

YUGOSLAVIA - GERMANY 86-73 (22-13, 19-13, 17-28, 28-19)

FREE THROWS: Yugoslavia 90% (26/29), Germany 74% (20/27).
    2P FGs: Yugoslavia 68% (21/31), Germany 42% (19/45).
    3P FGs: Yugoslavia 26% (6/23), Germany 28% (5/18).
    REBOUNDS: Yugoslavia 26 (20+6), Germany 30 (17+13).
    PERSONAL FOULS: Yugoslavia 23, Germany 23.

YUGOSLAVIA: Bodiroga 20 (5/5 2P FGs, 10/11 FTs, 6 rebounds), Petrovic, Obradovic 3, Rakocevic, Stojakovic 22 (4/4 2P FGs, 3/6 3P FGs, 5/6 FTs, 3 steals), Scepanovic 3, Jaric 3 (4 assists, 3 steals), Drobnjak 17 (6 rebounds), Tarlac 10, Milojevic, Tomasevic 4 and Gurovic 4.

GERMANY: Demirel 13, Okulaja 18, Garret 4, Pesic, Garris 8, Papic, Tomic, Willoughby, Arigbabu 5, Femerling 7, Nowitzki 15 and Bradley 3 .

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

BTM I dont know if you are doing this deliberately to stimulate controversy among the sincere and devoted. You have failed, if this is the case. I rather think you are either a foolish young person, a supporter of another team, or you are just insanely jealous that we have a potential Super Star about to come to Houston! He was selected by people who know what they are doing, unlike you!

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

RIET, thank you for the box score. Bradley scored 3 points against the same team that Yao torched for like 26 points. This should shuttup all the meaningless Bradley comparisons.

13. ScreamingRocketJet

There is NO comparison between Ming and Bradley. End of story.

Rik Smits, to a degree,yes. Bradley, no way.

14. windandsea

I watched a few of Dallas games because of Wang Zhizhi. When Bradley appeared on the court, I watched him very carefully. I know he has the same height with Ming. My impression of him is:

sit on the bench--step in--commit foul--be fouled--fall on the floor--stand up and argue with the opponent--argue with the ref--lost the ball--be substituted. (play 3 minutes)

I think he is effective in some extent. But I don't like his attitude in the play. He has been in NBA for 9 years. Shouldn't he know how to control his temper? He didn't contribute to the team in the positive way.

I only watched a few of his games. Maybe I am wrong.

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

2001 European Championship Stats:

Bradley: 7 Games, 4 blocks, .6 per game.

Yes, Bradley waas dominant.

Blocks Per Game
    Standings European Championship 2001
    Player Team GP Tot. Avg.
    1 Andrei Kirilenko Russia (RUS) 6 17 2.8
    2 Pau Gasol Spain (ESP) 7 16 2.3
    3 Mehmet Okur Turkey (TUR) 5 11 2.2
    4 Alexei Savrachenko Russia (RUS) 3 4 1.3
    5 Mirsad Turkcan Turkey (TUR) 6 7 1.2
    6 Dirk Nowitzki Germany (GER) 7 7 1.0
    7 Zan Tabak Croatia (CRO) 7 5 0.7
    8 Alexei Bachimov Russia (RUS) 6 4 0.7
    - Dejan Milosevic Yugoslavia (YUG) 3 2 0.7
    - Huseyin Besok Turkey (TUR) 6 4 0.7
    - Dragan Tarlac Yugoslavia (YUG) 6 4 0.7
    - Predrag Drobnjak Yugoslavia (YUG) 6 4 0.7
    13 Shawn Bradley Germany (GER) 7 4 0.6

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wait a minute! Dirk ONLY got 15 and THEN foulded out? Geez, with numbers like those in international competition I bet he gets KILLED in the NBA!

I mean the international competition is just so weak compared to the NBA. Looking at those game numbers, if he only got 15 AND foulded out I am not sure he can be much of an NBA player! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chris

17. micah1j

micah1j Member

I think BTM is a troll. Just ignor him.

18. windandsea

19. clarence lui

clarence lui Member

We need BTM's presence to remind us the world is not perfect. Good or bad (I think bad), he represents a certain class of people out there.

Congrats, BTM. You're the hero/spokesman/champion of your class, although most people (including myself) genuinely believe you're a biased, ignorant fool.:p

20. RocketForever

Well by making outrageous and unreasonable comments BTM is getting a lot of attention now. May be that is just exactly what he wants.