1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The RESTRICT Act (TikTok ban)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

TikTok generates 16 billion in revenue. Thats not something someone just shuts down.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I actually don't GAF what happens with the tiktok ban but the fact that it could hurt Republican mega donor Jeff Yass - some douche I've never heard of till recently - makes me chortle.

F that guy. I'm atlas and I'm shrugging right now.

Here's the thing about all of these enshittified entrenched Internet giants - meta, Google, tiktok, snap, Twitter whatever.

They could all disappear tomorrow and people would freak out - but, people would actually manage and life would go on because they actually aren't contributing that much to people's lives.

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The most Capitalist thing I've read in a while . .. . lol

Rocket River

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

ByteDance will sue and they will win. They lose if the US actually have concrete evidences of what they are claiming, which they don't.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Banning TikTok originated from Republicans and has 100% support from Trump before he flip-flopped. This is as bipartisan as it gets, but it's actually more of a Republican push than a Democrat one. It was stalled in the Senate for years due to legal concerns that it couldn't withstand a challenge and a lack of real evidence for the popularly accepted notion that China is stealing data and somehow that's a security concern (but not when Google, Facebook, Twitter, and the like do it). The House pushed it through anyway because, you know, Republicans really want to ban TikTok.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Long Story Short is most Americans only care about their financial data
    anything else China can have .. . no one cares

As long as it doesn't cost Americans money directly . . . .they just don't care about the data
    They are more than willing to trade a little data that they THINK can't hurt them (financially)
    for hours and hours of entertainment . . . .
    in fact
    Alot of American Companies live in that space

Rocket River

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

China's culture is very different from American culture. Capitalism isn't a bedrock principle of theirs, and they will abandon it for other principles. While the company would play the capitalistic game, it doesn't have a say in it. China has modified its export control rules so they can block the sell... guess what, on national security grounds. And they see this as something they can win, not just legally, but by manipulating hundreds of millions of TikTok users, playing exactly into the fears of Americans who support banning it.

Exiled likes this.
  8. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you're right. I love TikTok!

9. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

China operates under a fascist system of government and economics.

10. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe we should go as far left as possible and be like North Korea.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And maybe that's fine and all (I'm old school and believe it's not).

The link between users' data and national security is weak.

The link between users' data and its impact on the user is up to the individual, and you are right, they don't care.

You know, there is a potential marketplace solution to this. As you said, they care about their financials. Users' data is extremely valuable, especially for AI training. Users should demand value in using their data, and no, free app usage or ad-free isn't good enough.

But forcing or demanding big corps to pay, Republicans won't sign up for that.

ROCKSS and Rocket River like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yet they are not left
    In Fact their are very conservative and far right
    You think gay and trans rights are big in North korea?
    Anti-racist laws?

This makes me wonder

Can you define the Far LEFT for me?
    I don't think our definitions align

Rocket River

ROCKSS likes this.
  13. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe we should be free to watch what we like. The Washington Establishment screws us AGAIN!

14. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Members of the far-left oppose free-market economies in favor of an economy managed by individuals who work in government. Under communism, there is no private property and businesses are all owned and operated by government officials. Under fascism, citizens are permitted to "own" property, including businesses, but like communism, government directs the business's activities.

Far-left governments seize control of the nation's education, healthcare, media, and anything and everything else. That's exactly what the Nazis did upon gaining power in Germany.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is the problem in America
    We lack a position where someone is Economically - Right but Socially - Left
    we conflate economic systems and social position in one thing

If you are a capitalistic economic system . .. then you have to be that in your social life
    which may not be true

Rocket River

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's the Establishment I bought and paid for, good stuff.

17. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Which simply means FREEDOM to engage in the economy free from government interference. Yes, North Korea is "far-left". So is China. So is Cuba. So was Nazi Germany. So was the Soviet Union.