1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The real reason why LeBron won't be a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Huh?

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Imagine you work at a job on a small team - you are making good money, you are highly successful, and you have the right mix of personalities that make it a good team - you enjoy working together, coming to work every day. You just finish the fiscal year and the company has one of it's top years of all time....and then the boss says we gotta make some changes to make more money the next year and it means some people will get reduced roles/less money, some people will be asked to leave the company, and potentially new employees are going to be hired that you aren't sure how you are going to mix with. That is what is happening here - Chris Paul is LBJ's personal friend and wants to play with him but for the rest of the guys he just represents a risk of playing time and unknown personalities - it's a significant change and most individuals are risk/change adverse.

I mean, the Rockets accomplished a lot this year by mostly working as a team. The fact is any play to get Lebron is going to mean the team as we know it will change significantly - minutes distribution will shuffle considerably, good teammates might be sent to other teams - a play for a 3rd star changes the team fundamentally. It may make us better - but it will also destroy the 'team' we worked so hard to build up this year. If you are all in on that team or if you are one of the players who could possibly be greatly effected by a 3rd star moving in - I can see how this is not a time to be hopeful that the Rockets get better because ultimately outside of Harden and maybe Ariza, none of these guys are long time Rockets - this is just a place they work that they like. Ultimately they don't care if Houston the city gets a ring - they are playing for the accomplishments of the team they are playing for. We have to come to terms with the fact that Rockets fans and the current collection of Rockets players won't ever have the same focus - it's just not possible. I love CP and hope he stays but I don't particularly want him to make max money because it limits our team to some extent...but I know he sure does.

#42 glimmertwins, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Dash, houstontexans and MONON like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Real reason.... he -- and/or his family -- likes LA much more than Houston.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Name one team ever who was MORE successful after trading their MVP in their prime? Maybe you want to build a team around another superstar(Curry, AD, etc) but the problem is your odds of getting those players is slim at best so this market where you get to pick the personality of the best player on your team doesn't exist. Try again and maybe put a little more thought in this time.

RoyalGuard likes this.
  5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

This kind of post (The one you replied to) comes from a unrealistic expectation that there is a plentiful supply of superstars that could replace harden and beat the warriors. During the warriors era, what other superstar has done this? Lebron, and that's it.

Take the warriors out of the equation and Harden has a ring possibly 2 (From the 2015 playoffs).

vlaurelio and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Team will change if you have a chance to get greatest in this generation. Fact of the matter is, the current state of this rockets team cannot beat GS until changes are made. I disagree, ultimately they all care if they and the city gets a ring. That's like saying Watt wouldn't want a ring or Altuve wouldn't want a ring for Htown.

7. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Not a bad problem to have.

HakeemOnlyFan, jch1911 and MONON like this.
  8. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Harden doesn't want Lebron here. From the mouth of his own family/nephew.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If you all think that I don't want Hardhead on the team you are mistaken. I just don't think he is capable of being a leader like CP3 and Lerbon.
    My only problem with Lerbon is I don't want to give up half a team that just went to the WCF to get him. There are other good and cheaper alternatives.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm interested to know who's on your list of "good and cheaper alternatives". Honest inquiry because that taxpayer MLE needs to be stretched to the max to bring in decent players.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Its not unreasonable for Harden to not want LeBron on the team because they were really close to winning it all last season if not for some untimely injuries to Luc and CP3.

If LeBron does make his way to Houston then there will be a clear struggle to say whose team it is. CP3 was more than willing to defer to Harden which is more unusual giving that he has been the "alpha dog" throughout his career. LeBron is still playing at an insane level despite the years and miles on his body and still would be an "alpha" wherever he goes. Question is would LeBron be willing to defer because this is still Harden's team. I mean Harden has taken his fair share of lumps and has helped build this contending team in Houston. It would kind of suck in some ways if LeBron comes in and if the Rockets win a ring that the credit in the media goes to LeBron (personally wouldnt care if it mean Rockets winning a ring)

The other side to this which IMO is very real is how much is Adidas trying to not have this happen. It would instantly lower their basketball's spokespersons appeal if LeBron came. Maybe that has some influence on the comments Harden made. Remember the whole "creators lead campaign" Adidas had for Harden? That goes out of the window if LeBron shows up.

Fullcourt and Dash like this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ty Evans, Isaiah Thomas, Z. Lavine......

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

There's only one thing in Harden's head...

[​IMG]

14. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Houston would need to join the eastern conference ...

15. cebu

cebu Member

sooo deeeeep.. i like what you're smoking...

16. Nook

Nook Member

You base this on what exactly?

Have you spoken to James Harden?

Could it be that Harden already has spoken to James and know that he is going to go where he wants to go?

Could it be that Harden is preparing his team for the real possibility that the Rockets are not getting James?

17. Nook

Nook Member

Chris Paul...... came to Houston because of James Harden.

Have you ever heard LeBron James say he doesn't want to play with Harden?

Not sure how you can know what is in Harden and James' heads considering you aren't them and they have said nothing on the topic.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

No he isn't.

Everyone wants him, he is going to go where HE wants to go the most.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. pass_to_Hakeem

I don’t think Harden is on board. His ego won’t let him be on board... so Harden will hopefully get past GS next year “as is”, although this was (imo) their best chance.... and LeBron will head out here to LaLa Land and be “1 and done”

Stormy1234 likes this.