1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The question of trump immunity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 24, 2023.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Everyone is so unfair to trump... expecting him to follow the laws, and such...

ROCKSS and No Worries like this.
  2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

3. NewRoxFan

Amazing how people will believe this guy...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Crazy that the other living presidents haven't said the same thing.

Rocket River, B-Bob and Ottomaton like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

My name is Ronald Reagan...and I need all of the immunity you can give me, that I can remember

rocketsjudoka and No Worries like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s again amazing how many argue that Trump is for the little guy and restoring democracy but then that he needs absolute immunity that would allow him to be a dictator.

Also the argument that he needs this for other presidents the current President is Joe Biden who many of the same people are claiming is a criminal who needs to be held to account.

Xopher and No Worries like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

"it depends..." should be enough to decide on this insane case before the supreme court.

9. NewRoxFan

10. NewRoxFan

trump supreme court justice floating the only possible trump defense... delay.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. NewRoxFan

Thanks to the sheer corruption of donald trump, this is where America is at. These are the questions that this Supreme Court is faced with. Will this court be williing and able to protect democracy and the rule of law? I have my doubts...

No Worries likes this.
  12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are laying out the blueprint for kicking this back to the federal court to discern between "official" and "personal" actions. Alito and Thomas will probably just go along with that to give the appearance of impartiality.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Perhaps I am naive but I'm still hoping that this court will soundly reject this argument by at least 7-2. This court has previously shut down Trump's claims to expanded executive powers and being able to shield presidential records under the argument that they are personal. I hope they will do so again.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

People need to stop lamenting that the judiciary isn't going to save America from its voters. Yeah, it sucks that someone so obviously corrupt appears to have a credible chance at the country's highest office, but this is a democracy where we kinda choose our own fate. If we're dumb enough to vote for that guy, we deserve bad things. It's anti-democratic to put our hope in a court to eliminate our options in the ballot box and infantilize ourselves. It is our responsibility as voters to make wise voting choices.

I'm lookng forward -- knock on wood -- to Trump's electoral defeat in November. I'll be relieved for the country. But I'll be happy that it will mean that prosecutions of Trump can continue, at whatever glacial pace they do, until justice is rendered for the crimes against our country. People have these dependencies backward. They want court wins to come and save the electoral process when what we need is an electoral win to come save the court process.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. Xopher

Xopher Member

Someone needs to ask this question. "If a President has absolute immunity can he abolish the Supreme Court?"

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

They don't have to get to that question. Trump himself has said that he would ignore the Supreme Court when they rule against him. The question is then if granted complete immunity can a President ignore the USSC, and or the Legislative branch for that matter, legally?

This is where Trump's defense get's really torturous. If a President has complete immunity including assasination of political opponents but impeachment is the only check a President could legally assasinate enough members of Congress to prevent an impeachment. A president could argue that they don't recognize the authority of Congress to impeach in the first place.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. mtbrays

Supporting Member

A fun way to brace for any Roberts Court ruling: figure out whatever is most politically expedient for the Republican party, anticipate that the court will rule way, and don't be disappointed!

Rocket River likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The MAGA justices today are um... yeah.... totally going to rule that Trump is above the law. The way they are parsing this thing down seems obvious how they are going to rule.

It's just insane that Kavanaugh would say here that January 6th was a "mostly peaceful protest" and downplay it like that as a way to make the case that the court has to rule for presidential immunity because there would be all of these political indictments that would come out of the woodwork.

The question I have then is what's stopping Biden from assassinating Trump, and threatening any senators who dare vote for impeachment??

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump’s Lawyer Tries to Convince a Stunned Sotomayor: President Has Immunity to Order Assassinations of Rivals

20. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Just wait for it: absolute immunity only applies between November 1, 2020 - January 20, 2021.

Ubiquitin and dobro1229 like this.