1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The punch that almost killed Rudy Tomjanovich

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Apr 18, 2023.

1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Good synopsis of what happened. Insane that Kermit Washington only got suspended 26 games and faced no criminal charges. He literally came back to play before Rudy recovered.

2. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

There was a similar situation in European football (1981) and the injured one (Ewald Lienen) sued the other guy (Norbert Siegmann) not to return to the fields before he recuperated.

It should be norm. If you injure someone you should be kept away from the sport at least until the victim returns.

daywalker02 and iNoseBleedRed like this.
  3. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

The Punch-John Feinstein

Phenomenal read.

burlesk, Jturbofuel, Kevooooo and 3 others like this.
  4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I agree, except I don't know if I would have enforced that proposed rule against Markieff Morris. The Morris exception.

MrButtocks likes this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Looking forward to the Jake Paul vs Rudy T fight happening soon.

iNoseBleedRed likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

if draymond did this, does he even get a 1 game suspension? let alone 26

7. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Calvin Murphy and Rudy T were best friends on the Rockets, I read in Rudy's book that Calvin (a golden glove boxer) was so mad at Kermit that he ran down to beat the hell out of him. Calvin said when he got there he saw Rudy's face up close it momentarily incapacitated him.

Easy likes this.
  8. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Agreed! Rudy talks about it in his biography, A Rocket at Heart as well, but I don't think people here read, like at all. Definitely not books. They barely seem to comprehend posts here, if that.

Believe It! and raining threes like this.
  9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I still love this dude for stopping (sorta) to shake my hand in the bleachers at the Summer Leagues after I said "thanks for the championships, Rudy!" like a dork. lol. A true Rockets legend.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I met Rudy not too long after the punch, (I went to his camps and played OUT with him -- a version of HORSE, you dorks), and he was still so shook about it. All the b-ball camp counselors told you: no mention, in any way shape or form. Just could not talk about it for many years, from what I understand. I still can't really watch the footage.

On the Kermit suspension, it was just a different time. People got into fights, and more real fights, more commonly back then. Remember Hakeem just sucker punching Paultz. Or Sampson in the '86 finals versus Jerry Sichting (sp) ...

(start around 1:18)

#11 B-Bob, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Fights also policed the players from dirty tactics. They knew if they pulled some shady stuff that someone would get them sort of like the pitching inside in MLB.

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Another thing that led to a punch a scrum broke out between Rockets center Kevin Kunnert and Kareem Abdul-Jabaar at mid court. Rudy was known as a peacemaker so if something broke out he would always try and break up a fight and keep the peace. Kermit Washington has always said he hurt someone running up behind him and thought they were going to hit him and he just turned and punched.