1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Positive Republican Convention

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Aug 9, 2004.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Wait a sec... wasn't it a GOP Talking Point that the Dems were too negative in their convention?

As Kerry gains, spotlight shiftsback to Bush
    Poll: Convention boosted voters' view of Democrat

ANALYSIS
    By Ron Fournier
    AP Political Writer
    Updated: 10:20 p.m. ET Aug. 8, 2004

WASHINGTON - With the spotlight on his candidacy, John Kerry improved public perception of his character and qualifications but failed to shake-up the presidential race. Now, the focus shifts to President Bush -- and all his hurdles to re-election.

The Iraq war, which most voters think was a mistake.

The economy, which most voters don't trust with the Republican.

The direction of the country, which most voters think is headed south.

The tough job of changing those perceptions began the moment Kerry left his nominating convention. While in Boston, a heavy emphasis on the Democrat's sterling war record impressed male voters, according to an Associated Press poll, improving his ratings on honesty, intelligence, likability and even Bush's strongest issue -- the ability to protect the country.

But the bottom line did not change. Kerry and running mate John Edwards are essentially tied with Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney in the AP-Ipsos Public Affairs national poll. In two key states, Florida and New Hampshire, the Democratic ticket has opened up slight leads, according to the American Research Group.

Still, the president's advisers said they were relieved by post-convention polls, having braced themselves for party-wide panic had Kerry managed to open up a significant lead in national surveys.

"If you would have told me that we'd be tied coming out of his convention I would have said you're drunk or insane," Bush strategist Matthew Dowd said. "Then I would have said, 'I'll take it!"'

Kerry's team spun it the other way, saying there is little room for gains because too many voters have already taken sides. "When we looked at the polls, we said, 'Great news. We moved the numbers we needed to move,"' Kerry spokeswoman Debra DeShong said.

Bush and his political team contend that Kerry made two mistakes at his convention, and they vow not to repeat them.

Kerry and his surrogates didn't criticize Bush enough.

There was relatively little talk about Kerry's policies, though the Democrat has enough proposals to literally fill a book.

Bush and his allies won't be shy about going negative against Kerry during their Aug. 30-Sept. 2 convention, White House advisers said. The president also will outline a second-term agenda, including some new initiatives that will be rolled out before, during or after the New York convention.

Bush hopes to rally Republicans with tough-on-terrorism talk and images designed to rekindle memories of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, when his response sent his approval ratings soaring.

His advisers say the tactic also will peel away some of the swing voters who moved to Kerry in July and tend to be influenced by the latest big event, such as a nominating convention or terror alerts. Men tend to favor Bush over Kerry, thus the president could win back some of those voters.

Bush's latest television ads use warm-and-fuzzy images to tout his fight against terrorism while alluding to a rosier future: "Freedom, faith, families, and sacrifice. President Bush -- moving America forward."

In another attempt to reach voters in the political middle, Bush is filling his convention agenda with moderate Republicans, such as former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, as well as maverick Arizona Sen. John McCain, who remains popular with independents.

"It's probably too late to convince voters for a second time that he is a different kind of Republican," said Democratic strategist Jim Jordan, a former Kerry adviser who now runs an independent group airing ads critical of Bush. "But, for the first time since the inauguration, is he making gestures to the middle?"

It will be hard for Bush to persuade skeptical undecided voters to change their minds about him, after nearly four years in office.

But it might not be any easier for Kerry to convince those same voters that change is necessary, and worth the risk, at a time of war.

According to the AP-Ipsos poll, 59 percent of registered voters believe the country is on the wrong track (compared with 56 percent in July), only 46 percent approve of Bush's handling of the economy (compared with 49 percent in July) and half believe it was a mistake to go into Iraq (up from 40 percent in April).

Bush is seen as stronger and more decisive than Kerry, but the Democrat is considered smarter, more honest and less stubborn, according to the AP-Ipsos poll.

Among independents, Kerry gained on Bush on the issues of optimism, inspiration and values, according to the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5641436/

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They weren't shy about going negative before the Democratic convention, and haven't been shy about it since then. Why would their convention be any different?

Anyone that would try and alter the constitution of the United States in order to create a divisive wedge issue during the campaign season wouldn't be expected to not go negative during the campaign.

The funny thing is, is that the Democrats were right about what they said during their convention. Gore was right when brought up Bush's claim to be a Uniter and not a divider during his initial campaign, and then Gore asked the folks who voted for Bush, 'Did you get what you were promised?'

The Democrats were correct when Obama spoke and said that even as he was speaking there were others planning strategies to divide, and attack, and go negative.

Now with the backlash against the Republicans(the ad wasn't theirs but they may still receive guilt by association) because of the Swiftboats veterans fiasco. Now it appears that Republicans want to go further down the road to negativity.

It's a free country, I guess so they can go ahead and make that choice.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The real story of the Republican Convention this year will not be on the stage in Madison Square Garden.

It will be on the streets of New York City.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

FBI Tracks Potential GOP Protesters

59 minutes ago

By TOM HAYS, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Federal agents and city police are keeping tabs on people they say might try to cause trouble at the Republican National Convention, questioning activists, making unannounced visits and monitoring Web sites and meetings.

The law enforcement effort has been going on quietly, overshadowed in public by talk of counterterrorism measures planned for the Aug. 30-Sept. 2 event.

"We're not engaging in surveillance of groups or individuals without legal predication," said Jim Margolin, spokesman for the New York office of the FBI.

Ann Roman, a spokeswoman for the Secret Service, said agents expect to respond to an increase in possible domestic threats against President Bush and other dignitaries as the convention at Madison Square Garden nears. The Secret Service (news - web sites) is also playing a lead role in planning convention security.

"How we do that specifically, I'm not going to go into," she said.

Law enforcement sources said that in recent weeks, federal agents have begun interviewing people in the New York City area they believe might know about any plots to cause mayhem at the convention, and have used surveillance against possible suspects.

The intelligence unit of the New York Police Department has been closely monitoring Web sites run by self-described anarchists. It also has sought to infiltrate protest groups with young, scruffy-looking officers posing as activists.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../20040816/ap_on_el_pr/gop_convention_security

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

After a lengthy and heated uh....discussion with the wife, I have formally decided to withdraw as a volunteer for the convention.

In fact, my wife doesn't even what us in the city that week.

Women can be NO fun sometimes!

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I expect that if I lived in New York this year, my wife and I would have had the same kind of "discussion."

7. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

All the far-left human refuse, Michael Moore-loving, brain-dead, stoned out their mind protesting morons will hog the coverage, predicatably so. They need to keep a three mile cordon around MSG clear of all that refuse. Some tear gas, Rottweilers and water hoses will do the trick. Or just sic some soap and deodrant on those nasty, smelly, hippy loser types that will be out protesting the evil that is Bush....they need it.

8. RocketMan Tex

Oh Bama!! Your George Wallace trailer-trash possum-eating logic just makes me want to break out in song!!!! :D

[​IMG]

Love, exciting and new
    Come aboard, we're expecting you
    Love, life's sweetest reward
    Let it flow, it floats back to you

Love Boat soon will be making another run
    The Love Boat promises something for everyone
    Set a course for adventure
    Your mind on a new romance

And love won't hurt anymore
    It's an open smile on a friendly shore
    It's love
    Welcome aboard
    It's love!

9. Chump

Chump Member

bama was at training camp alright, but not the Atlanta Falcons , but the Ann Coulter hate-monger school of journalism

10. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

LOL

Republicans have spent the last three-and-a-half years telling us that the sky is not only falling, it's coming to kill our infants and rape our mothers. And now -- three months before the election -- they want to talk about sunshine and happiness.

In between jabs at Kerry, of course.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

That's funny. For a second there I almost thought you actually meant "republicans". It's obviously a typo on your part.

12. GladiatoRowdy

Nope, he meant Republicans and was right, too.

13. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Nuh uh, was not was not was not.

14. RocketMan Tex

I know you are but what I am I?

15. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I'm rubber, you're glue!

16. GladiatoRowdy

I'm a congested nose and you're my kleenex.

:D

17. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

That's just sick Andy :D

18. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Here is the real scoop about the Republican Convention.

New York City is one of the greatest cities in the world. People will spend alot of money in lower Manhattan. MSG will be the safest place in the city.

September 1st & the 2nd will be two powerful speeches. There will be lots of conservatives hootin' and hollerin'. There will be much made about this and that from liberals + those concerned middle of the road folks. Polls will go up and down. September 3rd will be just another day where we as Americans will press on doing what we do...

I think the Presidential debates will be the main deciding factor in really pulling in the key swing voters for each side. THE END. (Thanks for playing the lets overanalyze the RNC Convention game).

19. GladiatoRowdy

I only said it 'cause it was you!

:D

20. RocketMan Tex

They always are.