1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Picks We Owe to OKC

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Feb 9, 2023.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

A debt must be paid.

First rounders:
    2024 - protected 1-4
    2025 - swap protected 1-10
    2026 - protected 1-4

Do we try to put together a squad and compete next year?

Could also Flip the Brooklyn picks for some players (Dinwiddie, Bridges, Cam??)

Or just hope the Brooklyn picks fall lotto and our picks don’t drop in lotto

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes. We have to see some substantial improvement next season. There’s a reason why the Rockets haven’t taken on any contracts that last beyond this season — so that we’ll have cap space to (hopefully) make moves this off-season.

BigMaloe, xaos, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

we don't need those pics anyway. senjoon and cade will lead this team to glory (play in) next year.

4. xaos

xaos Member

Those picks are exactly the reason we've had to go the route we did. With the crop of free agents this offseason we aren't going to magically get into the playoffs, but now we start consolidating, deciding who to build around, get a head coach, make improvements to the roster and use the Nets picks wisely.

My biggest fear is we get desperate

sirjesse, comrade, clos4life and 9 others like this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should be trying to compete. Three years of top 5 picks (along with two mid-first rounders and multiple other firsts) should be enough. If we aren’t improving by next year, more picks won’t help us because we are squandering what we have. Use that draft capital to make trades and sign legit players.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

We've picked in the window of those protections in the last 3 years. It wouldn't surprise me if we were in that window for at least the 2025 pick swap and maybe the 2024 pick as well (depending on if we win the 2023 lottery or not). I'm not seeing anything on the court or in free agency that makes us significantly better next year.

I'm not surprised that everyone is done with tanking. But, that doesn't change the fact that on average rebuilds take much longer than what we've done.

Funny enough, being bad enough to retain any of these picks from the terrible Fertitta Westbrook trade will probably get Stone fired by Fertitta.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It’ll be damn near impossible to be a playoff team next year. I just don’t see a quick fix that doesn’t mortgage our future so I hope that the front office just puts aside the pain that is the Westbrook trade, and just makes smart Morey-like moves. Not Stone-like moves.

Id like to see some movement with the roster and a major coaching change. Someone that is more of a college like coach focused on development and fundamentals.

The 24 and 26 picks are gone. Nothing we can do about that now. Just need the GM to stay the course and focus on developing what we got and build a culture of playing the right way.

NewAge, baller4life315 and furyn like this.
  8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a depressing thread. Thanks OP.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I still can't believe we traded for Westbrook. What a stupid stupid stupid move. A few us were totally against trading for the guy. Drives me crazy that we made the move and got absolutely out maneuvered in the process.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This was always the plan. Stone will go vet shopping after the season to balance the roster. It was the GS model - hope to hit on consecutive draft picks and establish a dynasty. Hard to say its gone exactly as expected with our draft picks needing more time to be impactful, but the story isnt over yet.

Corrosion, glynch and xaos like this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

it was the price of keeping Harden happy.

I hope the days of coddling players are over now

Madmanmetz and hajkov like this.
  12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Thanks Tilly! But also we watched Westbrook get traded two more times and get assets back after we traded him for wall. Wow.

clos4life and ElPigto like this.
  13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

2024 and 2026 may cost us only second round picks

"if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Houston will instead convey it's 2024 2nd round pick and 2025 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City"

9baller and groovemachine like this.
  14. txtodd

txtodd Member

Yes, with how bad the first one was, we can forget that both Westbrook trades were awful.

15. MystikArkitect

Kings - Suns - Grizz - Mavs - Nuggets - Pelicans are all locks for playoffs next year. That's 6 spots. These teams are primed for relevancy the next 5-7 years. So the Rockets have to outplay the Spurs - Blazers - Wolves - Clips - Lakers - Warriors - Jazz.

I think we're less likely to see a Rockets resurgence and more likely to see a Texans like situation where all of your best players either walk or get squandered in irrelevancy. We are staring down the barrel of being Knicks-West.

clos4life likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets are never at the right place right time moment. Lol. We really do have bad luck.
    • CP3 has a shitty season, we decide to sell low and get absolutely robbed in the process.
    • Westbrook, sell low after his terrible playoff performance.
    • Harden, requests trade when there really isn't any attractive young talent available from a team looking to make a championship push.
    Just bad luck lol.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We have the Nets picks instead of ours. They are unprotected. It is feasible that we again land in the top 4 next year and very feasible that the nets pick is lottery next year as well. We are not draft pick poor, especially from a trade perspective. Whether we make the playoffs next year is totally to be determined on the draft and off-season moves for vets we make. Oh, and of course, getting rid of Silas.

I think we are right on schedule for the re-build and maybe compared to other re-builds ahead of schedule. Jalen has a number of breakout games his first two years, that show his promise as he matures. Sengun and Tari have also showed they are legitimate. I haven’t given up hope on KPJ(in another position) or Jabari who should put on a ton of muscle and get his shot back. Not to mention a top five pick this year. I understand that the FO screwed the Westbrick trade, but the negativity about this re-build is just impatience.

BigMaloe, IvanLCPM, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets can use draft capital to bring in stars, they should do it. Drafting isn't a perfect science. There are going to be/have been mistakes. Though if the Rockets can't trade for stars, they still need to use picks until they get the right guys.

The Westbrook trade really hurts as it forces the Rockets more on a timeline.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

wrong. it was the cost of having the worst owner

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't include the Mavs on that list of teams "primed for relevancy" for the next 5-7 years. After adding Irving they are a ticking time bomb waiting to implode. I agree they could be relevant the next five years. They could also be in a situation in which Irving bolts and Luka demands a trade in as little as a year.