1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Perception Gap

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 24, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The article assumes people like me or you don't exist (someone who is left leaning who has been in deep conservative bubbles most his life). I can say the left is far more accurate about conservative/right wing culture than the right is about left wing ideology. Mainly because many leftists come from conservative households. In the US, outside urban minority centers conservatism is the baseline culture. So a lot more liberal leaning people have a lot more experience in conservative bubbles than vise versa.

Just like many atheists in the US have immense experience with religion and being born into a conservative religious household.

Some of the most staunch leftists/anarchists in this country came from conservative households.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I know several people who are Trumpers and still consider them friends. I think many of these people are good people and understand why they might feel that way.

I especially understand why white people from rural and ex-urban areas might feel threatened and dislocated by many of the changes in society. I think that we have one party that is becoming primarily urban and one party that is primarily rural is a big problem for our society.

This does go both ways though and there are many misunderstandings from those others that very much fit what we are seeing in those polls. I know many in rural Minnesota that consider Minneapolis to be controlled by radical Muslims and BLM.

dobro1229 and arkoe like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You probably can't validly sum the percentages. The way people were asked the questions may not have given them the opportunity to consider their answers together. They might not have even asked the same people all the same questions.

Even so, some of those averages are so off-base, I have a hard time believing it's from American adults. In particular, I don't see how we can on average be so wrong about the percentage of black Americans -- a statistic often bandied about. Not everyone thinks about stats the way I do, but there must be enough people like me out there to pull the statistic down from 41%! Or is that just me overestimating the number of halfway smart people in the country?

Sweet Lou 4 2 and Amiga like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For those curious about the question and the estimate proportion calc...

The picture posted above uses: "Estimated proportions are calculated by averaging weighted responses (ranging from 0% to 100%, rounded to the nearest whole percentage) to the question "If you had to guess, what percentage of American adults..." True proportions were drawn from a variety of sources, including the U.S. Census Bureau, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and polls by YouGov and other polling firms.

They also provide an estimated proportion based on median weight responses which get it closer to the true proportion but still quite off: "Estimated proportions median weighted responses (ranging from 0% to 100%, rounded to the nearest whole percentage) to the question "If you had to guess, what percentage of American adults..." True proportions were drawn from a variety of sources, including the U.S. Census Bureau, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and polls by YouGov and other polling firms."

[​IMG]

B-Bob, DFWRocket and Xerobull like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fascinating. Some of these numbers are surely skewed based on factors like incorrect samples, tax evasion, embarrassment, fear of reprisal, illegal citizenship status, misunderstanding the question, people being assholes, etc.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I doubt the accuracy of this poll.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.