1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Overwhelming Black Issue

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Aug 6, 2020.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

What is this mierda? I can tell you I've never had more control over my homes and my family than right now. Did I have to verbally reprimand my wife for not having dinner on the table at the exact time that I returned from work two Wednesdays ago? Yes, I did. But aside from that slip up (by her), the family is thriving under my outstanding leadership.

davidio840, Os Trigonum and JumpMan like this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Lol, I applaud you. But I've been a teacher in majority Hispanic schools for almost 15 years and I am telling you that things are changing.

TWS1986 and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'll be back in a bit for the Mount Vesuvius filmstrip if you're still projecting. You read enough history, archaeology and anthropology you'll bump into your people eventually. But if you handle your business here, you'll have enough experiences and actual identity not to care. My parents came from Cameroon and Haiti, never taught us French, Creole, Basaa or said one word about their home countries other than "Yaphet Kotto" and "I heard your Fungi rappers are from there" and "you couldn't handle it." My father had more stories about Rudy T when they were both at U of M than he ever did about his home country.

They did make a point of showing us Sounder, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Mississippi Burning, Cry Freedom, Mandela (HBO) and The Boy King, but they weren't millennial tv-bloggers so no "hate watching."

#63 Dairy Ashford, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Your parents were selectively chosen to immigrate here. They probably had advantages in their home country of origin that most people there didn't have.

My parents were Bangladeshi immigrants many decades ago and have been citizens for a long ass time but they came here only because they lived in the top .1% in Bangladesh and attended the best private schools to get accepted into American universities and have them sponsored. 99.9% of people from Bangladesh don't have that privilege. My parents understood this hence they aren't the jealous type and b**** about illegals because they understand those people are in an entirely different line they they were in.

I also acknowledge my privilege of being raised by two educated parents in a upper middle class neighborhood and one of the best school districts in Texas something that the vast majority of African Americans don't have access to.

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. fchowd0311

How can they embrace America when these issues still exist?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...62b704-3915-11e9-a06c-3ec8ed509d15_story.html

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Speaking for yourself, do you really need a home? For immigrants, they chose this place as their home and agreed to put up with the cultural hierarchy. Their kids don't have a choice, but that doesn't make them resentful. More often than not, they appreciate the sacrifice and willingness to move.

Blacks are in a different situation where it's not 100% paranoia that they're being hunted or discriminated against. That's not even talking about the social hierarchy we all know is in place even if it's not personally practiced. My means of "acting smart" are probably different than a black person's but that's out of experience w/ the system.

I'm not sure what the endgame to all of this is. None of the solutions are backed by facts and none are perfect fits either. But given the choice of doing something and hoping for the best or doing nothing and hope it goes away, I'd choose the former.

Outside of black culture, America needs to readjust its outlook on education. It's gone to **** and we're outright celebrating unearned success on social media that circumvents long term rewards in personal and community investment. Our endemic culture of mediocrity is not upon black America to solve, but they seem to be the most affected by it whenever things goto **** (i.e. Now)

7. Fantasma Negro

Lol, my parents both were born into abject poverty in Africa. Both came here on student visas and worked their asses off. They were selectively chosen because of their grades

8. fchowd0311

Were your parents raised in racially segregated school districts that had significanltly less funding?

This is the harsh truth you have to accept. Your parents getting student visas into the US while being raised in poverty in Africa is a rare story. The vast majority of people with student visas fit the profile of my parents( more well off classes in their respective country of origin). Your parents would be the extreme rare case.

TWS1986 likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

I went to racially segregated schools, what point are you trying to make?

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a great post. Going to Perth one thing that struck me was how similar the plight of the aboriginal Australians were to Native Americans in Minnesota. Other than their accents they literally were telling some of the same stories about how their ancestors were slaughtered, the lost their land and in the lifetime of many they had been taken from their families and forced to abandon their culture.

I mentioned this in another thread but one thing that many don't realize is how much what is considered normal and acultural in this society is really tied to one culture. Many people talk about assimilation as though that is something that is taken for granted or that it easy. People forget that well into the 20th Century there were towns in Midwest and in Texas where people still spoke German as an everyday language. Learning a new language and adapting to a new culture, especially as an adult isn't easy. Now imagine being forced into a new culture with your cultural identity stripped from you. I don't many here would be able to easily adapt to that.

Nook and ThatBoyNick like this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You know why the Black community does have a STRONG Political influence is because they have been a mostly UNIFIED Political force. If Hispanics were more a UNIFIED group, their influence would be unmatched. Biden is not wrong.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since we're talking families my father grew up very poor in Hong Kong at a time when Hong Kong wasn't yet the economic engine it later became. My father worked his ass off and was very ambitious to escape that poverty. As such he was able to go to one of the best schools in Asia and ultimately a full ride scholarship to Rice University. Most of my family still back in HK are still poor.

If my dad hadn't worked his ass off to get here I wouldn't have the chance to be what I am. I like to think I'm smart but I don't think I have the same will or ambition that my dad had to escape poverty. I'm guessing most of us who are first generation immigrants or the sons of immigrants probably have similar stories.

This argument that somehow black people are just obsessed with victimhood while Asians and other immigrants out perform them again ignores just how difficult it is to overcome generations of poverty worsened by legal systems that prevented both physical and economic integration. Even now escaping poverty is very difficult and most poor people tend to have children who are also poor.

Nook, Dairy Ashford, sirbaihu and 3 others like this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

So we insure that a College degree is as worthless as a High School degree is at present? I'm not sure how that helps anyone who isn't involved in education.

There is a discussion to be had about the efficacy of such a policy. But I would start by stating the obvious answer to the question of childcare is best answered by the nuclear family. Fatherhood (and to a greater degree the cultural shift of larger family units) missing from the home has made child care a pressing issue for the poor that in decades past simply didn't exist. Mom was home while Dad was working and in the rare instance where both were working, Grandma (or Aunt Jane or Cousin John etc etc) would do the job.

I hate the idea of another "government program" that substitutes for families raising kids. It is a poor substitute.

JumpMan likes this.
  14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Clown.

malakas and Nook like this.
  15. fchowd0311

The disconnect you fail to understand here is how stable parents are created. You want to magically do it through normative lectures. In reality, human developmental sciences has shown that to create great parents you must raise those future parents in a stable home environment from the ages of 0-10. Ages 0-3 more specifically are the most important ages for cognitive development. It's the ages between 0-10 that are going to most determine mental health and intelligence as an adult the most. Therefore yes, access to high quality early childhood education centers would be very helpful along with removing signifcant burdens for their parents' expenses such as healthcare while also closing the funding gap between Black majority and white majority schools.

I notice conservatives state the solution is to create a stable nuclear household to prevent poverty but then they never go beyond that step. Well they do but it's mainly just lecturing black people with normative statements.

Yes single parent households is a problem in the black community but it's not a root problem, it's a symptom of the root problem.

Again, you create good parents by raising them well in stable enviroments when young.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  16. JumpMan

Instead of talking about how some Asians are also struggling in this country, why not share how the majority are thriving?

Did the Asians beg the white man to help them out or did they rely on each other? Did the government provide assistance or did they assist each other? What is the role of the Asian man in the home and community?

I am often tone-deaf so I apologize if that came off aggressive or something, but I honestly believe that those questions are helpful.

17. fchowd0311

Asian Americans didn't face the same circumstances as African Americans from the slavery lineage. Also most Asian immigrants are filtered through a selection process based in merit and comparing them to gen pop is stupid. The poorest Chinese or Bangladeshi citizens for example aren't coming to the US.

Nook, ThatBoyNick and rocketsjudoka like this.
  18. JumpMan

Does that mean that an Asian or Bangladeshi has nothing to offer in this conversation? Might want to let them know.

19. fchowd0311

In the conversation of African American struggles in the US? If they have well read and informed opinions on the subject matter then why they can't discuss the subject matter?

20. JumpMan

I agree. That's why I asked him. Your free to answer them yourself, if you'd like. I don't know Bangladeshis from Martians, but any perspective is welcomed.