1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Otto Porter Movement] First it was just an afterthought, then came the movement, and now....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That’s horrible. I don’t want jr smith anywhere near this team.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Go for it. Otto would be an elite role player for us. Yeah it's a lot of money but the Rockets are going all-in and aren't going to be players in free agency anyway through the duration of CP3's contract.

rocketsfan611 and Y2JT like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Morey writing articles on the Ringer. I like it.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

“One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”

.....except for when they’re owed $82M.

We’re winning, let’s wait this out and see if we can get a better player. Going from potentially landing JB, an elite two-way player and occasional go-to scorer, to someone like Porter that’s basically Ariza on steroids is depressing. Above all else, it doesn’t feel like a DM trade. Sure, you can say he’s going “all in”, but what’s the likelihood of Porter outplaying the value of that fat contract?

I’ll be stunned if this happens. Could be wrong, I get it: Porter was very good last year, but this one feels like a stretch to me.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

If possible I wouldn even give up Ennis. He is nice as a backup wing who can play 3 spots on the floor.

BaselineFade and Y2JT like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ariza on steroids will put you over the top if you already have Cp3, Harden and Capela.

28M doesnt matter you are already paying 40M to Cp3 and Harden and 18M to Capela. Of the overall cost is the same and you can get him for non rotation pieces like what Yolo said like Nene, Chriss and BK you do it all day every day.

We can't keep hoping for that 3rd star you know what they say about the bird in hand vs bird in the woods.

rocketsfan611, BaselineFade and Y2JT like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

You don't want that mess of stupid on this team. He is gonna do something that will cost us the series like run over Harden breaking his ankle or giving the ball to KD mistakenly or shooting on his own goal etc.

Look up Jr Smith's history dude always Fs it up at the wrong time.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The player of value is korver. We are swapping knight la bad contract for korver and the waste that is jr Smith. Buyout smith and let him go. Saves Tilman a lot of money.

This is a last resort kind of trind to rid yourself of wasted roster

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They have no incentive to just get trash players in return and we can't offer salary relief for next year because our major filler contracts aren't expiring. I don't see how a trade works here.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://wizofawes.com/2018/11/14/washington-wizards-the-wizards-need-to-trade-otto-porter-jr/

Washington Wizards: The Wizards need to trade Otto Porter Jr.

by Ben Vasconcellos
    It hasn’t been long, but it’s time for the Washington Wizards to move on from Otto Porter Jr.

The Washington Wizards have won two consecutive games and look to make it a third against the Cleveland Cavaliers. This offseason the Wizards matched a 4-year, $106 million dollar contract by the Brooklyn Nets to retain Otto Porter Jr., who hasn’t contributed much this season.

In hindsight, I can understand why the team made the move since Porter was coming off his best season averaging 14.7 PPG and shooting 44.1% from 3-point land. The organization assumed that he would continue progressing, but that hasn’t been the case.

It’s only been 12 games, but the writing seems to be on the wall. He’s only averaging 10.3 PPG and shooting 37.5% from beyond the arc, which is one of his worst since the 2015-16 season.

Against the Orlando Magic we were able to see that Porter wasn’t being used at the end of the game, it was Kelly Oubre Jr. These two are practically are splitting minutes, but it’s being displayed that Scott Brooks and the coaching staff trust Oubre more when the game is on the line.

Oubre is averaging 2.3 minutes less than Porter and is producing 1.8 PPG more than him. Obviously these are small numbers, but in games they have significance. I know the argument will come up that Oubre hasn’t been shooting the ball well from deep either at 29%. However, his defense is on another level and the way he meshes with the starters is more fluid.

In the last three games, Porter hasn’t scored more than 8 points. On top of that, he’s only reached double-figures in four games this year.

This was the year Porter was suppose to showcase why he’s worth the money and has done so rather poorly. He’s made it clear that he’s going to be nothing more than a 3-and-D player, which is fine, but not what the Wizards need at this point.

Washington was hopeful that his offensive game would elevate to the next level and that Porter would be that third option that the team was seeking. It’s been extremely disappointing to watch, but he’s never going to be that player for the team.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a solid role player, but that’s all he will ever be. Personally, I was pulling for him to have a career year and possibly average around 17 PPG. My hopes have faded and so has the faith of most D.C. fans.

All Porter has done is been out shined and outplayed by Oubre and Jeff Green, who has also been producing more with less time. Porter’s minutes are going to continue to slide to these two individuals going forward if he can’t further expand his arsenal.

Of course the Wizards are going to see this one through as long as they possibly can. They need to consider moving his contract before the trade deadline if this trend remains the same.

He’s still a young piece that most teams would consider having on their rosters. A trade would be nothing but positive. Washington would possibly receive some young talent, draft picks, or valuable assets that they could use this season. Any help on the bench would be greatly appreciated.

The Wizards also need to instill some faith in Oubre so that he feels wanted in D.C. long-term. As long as Porter is in the picture, Oubre will walk once free-agency hits. It will come down to choosing one or the other. And as of right now, Porter is not the right decision.

BaselineFade and saleem like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

There is no way we are trading EG. If we add one first round pick(probably shouldn't even do that) than we get this deal done, I believe.

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. aroundtheblock2

I like otto Porter a lot, but his contract is nuts. I dont want anything to do with that contract. Hard pass.

13. basketballholic

Doesn't need any firsts if we're taking on salary and getting somebody else either out of the tax or closer to being out of the tax.

Y2JT likes this.
  14. basketballholic

Without a pick this deal is acceptable.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Judging by all of the positive responses, our monthly meeting for the Otto Porter Movement will need to be relocated from the nearby Whataburger to a bigger venue...like an IHOP

fattz and HP3 like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Nah man it should be at Shipley's ;)

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why do they accept?

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Wasn’t for it at first but after looking at his shot chart he’s basically everything Morey and MDA want.

#98 Rudyc281, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  19. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

People forget that Les is not the owner anymore.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He plays our brand of basketball offensively to a T.. the big thing would be him playing very good to great defense. If he can do that all will be forgotten.