1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Otto Porter Movement] First it was just an afterthought, then came the movement, and now....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

damnit. overlooked that aspect.

2. tc0330

tc0330 Member

no way can we give up EG AND BK for a forward.

basketballholic likes this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Gordon would be available for Beal, not for Porter.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah it ain't a good value. But I'd rather have OPJ at 26 than Hayward at 31. Looking at the wings that are out there, he is probably the best trade target.

Otherwise we should just hope for a Wes Matthews or DeMarre Carroll buyout.

I don't see any other reasonable way for us to upgrade on the wing (preferably at the 3).

steddinotayto likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You don't "give up" Brandon Knight; you "get rid of" Brandon Knight.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For the visitors to the OPM, his shot chart from last year:

Otto Porter (1).png

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have this framed and hanging above my bed. No more impotency issues.

8. steddinotayto

doitttt.JPG

1. Both Smith's and Korver's deal are partially guaranteed for next year for a grand total of $7.2 million between them. This saves the Wizards a TON of money. I repeat: A TON. Which goes into #2.
    2. Washington sends Cleveland a 2nd Rounder as a way of saying "Thanks for the money savings Cleveland!"
    3. Houston sends Cleveland a 1st Rounder as a way of saying "Sucks that you got Knight for another season but he'll come off the books in 2020!"
    4. Washington, btw, also need 3 point shooting in the worst way possible so getting both Smith and Korver might actually help their season...if Brooks knows how to coach.
    5. Cleveland eats those three contracts while picking up a future 1st and 2nd for their troubles.

Zboy, Y2JT, BigggReddd and 10 others like this.
  9. steddinotayto

10. tc0330

tc0330 Member

the man hasnt even played yet. no reason to "get rid of" someone who hasnt proven he needs to be booted

mockster likes this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Just take it right to the basket.

66.9% of the time it works..........all the time.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Obligatory:
    Melo + 4 first round picks

robbie380, dje243 and sammy like this.
  13. BigBum

BigBum Member

Wizards seeking cap release cavs seeking picks
    Porter korver to rockets
    Rivers, Knight Chriss nene 2rockets picks
    to cavs
    JR Gordon to wizards

MELO NEEDS 1 first to dump if harden and Paul against waiver

#33 BigBum, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

We need to find a way to send Chriss and Melo to Washington too, would love to see: Wall, Dwight, Morris, Melo, Rivers, Chriss, JR all in the same team.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's creative for sure. I just wasn't sure Cleveland would be game for a relatively late first round pick and a 2nd round pick. I mean, absolutely better than nothing. But as you noted, the Smith and Korver contracts are unique. And I don't believe have to be moved even at the trade deadline. The guarantee date is 7/7/19 for Korver. 6/30/19 for JR Smith.

But then I googled and read:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-lakers-76ers-bucks-thunder-interested-in-sg

Which I guess makes sense. On its face, you wouldn't give a 1st round pick for Kyle Korver. But for the Rockets in this deal it'd absolutely make sense.

Good work!

DM is not trading Eric Gordon in a deal that basically gets you Otto Porter (Korver is a 15 mpg guy that might hit a three or two, he's no EG).

Nor should he. That'd be 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of thing.

Deuce, luckyman76, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is Tilman really gonna co-sign paying a role player the 26 mil he’s owed this year and the 27 and 28 mil he’s due after this season?

17. steddinotayto

I would prefer that we work a deal to acquire Korver as well but I think Washington would balk at the idea of trading Porter "for just" JR Smith.

Y2JT likes this.
  18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This is a tough one because OP Jr is a good player who is clearly overpaid - the question is if the Wizards have to pay to get Porter's contract off their books(Scenario A) or if trade teams are being expected to offer up value to get the talent of Porter(Scenario B). For Scenario A, Knight's expiring + contract filler seems like an obvious thing - I would say sending Ennis in a trade like that isn't necessarily a given because if the Wiz are trading Porter they are almost certainly going to try to resign Oubre to play that same role. The problem with that scenario is Porter makes so much that you would have to trade several players to get in the ballpark and I don't think the Wiz roster can take that many extra players - we are talking Knight, Nene, Chriss, and Qui all for Porter. Even if we could make that work, that sends a lot of our big 'depth' out the door in addition to a little of our PG depth. It would clearly make us a better team but that is the rub - if you have Harden and Paul making the max, Capella making $15mil, Ego making $13mil, and Tucker making 8mil and you add Porter making $26 mil, the rest of your roster becomes entirely dependent on ring chasers signing for the minimum(anyone remember Melo?) or finding guys like Hartenstein and Clark.

..Scenario B is a lot more murky because it depends on the direction the Wizards are trying to go which we don't know(win now, rebuild, both) but you would think cap relief, picks and/or EGO would be on the table in that scenario.....or Scenario C - some combination of the above.

...but honestly all of this is pure speculation if this recent picture of Ernie Grunfeld is accurate:
    [​IMG]

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't really care much either way as long as it doesn't include EG.

36 year old Korver struggled against GSW. 37 year old Korver was basically non-existent against GSW (1-16 from three in that sweep). 38 year old Korver isn't super useful anymore.

His contract is unique though and would be another nice asset.

20. steddinotayto

Valid question. I'm inclined to think that if he's been financially gamed to go all in now (by giving Capela and CP3 the deals they got), there's gotta be a gamble made here.

Harden and Capela are signed until the end of 22-23 and Paul's deal expires a year before that. Porter's contract ends in 21-22. This, to me, is a better gamble than trading for Butler (using future assets no less) and then giving him a max extension that goes beyond Harden's deal. There's a possibility for a reset/rebuild/tank in the future if needed.

Reeko, HP3 and JayGoogle like this.