1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Otto Porter Movement] First it was just an afterthought, then came the movement, and now....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Except he's like a waaaay better shooter than Ariza.

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

no thank you with that contract

Moleb likes this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tilman is unable to keep Kelly Oubre next summer.

Big salary: Beal, Knight and Kelly Oubre

4 Firsts are gong.

4. aroundtheblock2

He will cost 80x what Ariza will cost if hes bought out. Hes not even close to 80x better.

HP3 likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If Morey was to trade for Otto Porter Jr, it would be because Morey believes he could become more than what he already is in Washington. Morey would have to believe that the "current situation in Washington" is not maximizing Porter's potential to be more.

Morey doesn't make moves without having ways to get out of them. He makes moves that the market will bare so he can pivot.

It is less about "that guy is too expensive" and more about "if things don't work out, is the market favorable for me to pivot."

joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sample size is small, but the best lineup that includes all 3 guards this year is a net -2.6 per 100 possessions this year. (13 total minutes together thus far)

Last year for the whol year that 3 guard lineup wasn't in their top 20 five men linups of the year, so wasn't on the court for more than 55 minutes together in total. SO not sure what the +/- would have been (bball reference only gives top 20)...

justtxyank and HP3 like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, using numbers this year....the start has been rocky so....

But we know the Rockets goal is to top the Warriors and the 3 guard lineup is best equipped to do it. EG having a brutal season so far isn't helping the numbers.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

9. HP3

HP3 Member

There is no better impact player out there that will allow us to keep all of our rotation players. Our financial situation is already bad anyways......wait are you Tilman?

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Is this still a thing, the belief that Ariza will ge bought out? lol Are we still holding onto the hope that Ariza has not regressed at 33 years old with 15 years in the league, will get bought out for some reason, and will miraculously put us back on the map as championship contenders?

Is this really still a thing? Like there's absolutely little to gain for Phoenix to buy Ariza out right now when he can be used as a trade chip for salary matching come December 15th.

topfive, justtxyank and HP3 like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes, the problem with Beal is that you will have to play that lineeup for longer periods of time because Beal is a star player who will demand more minutes.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

HP3 and steddinotayto like this.
  13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Basically, what I'm saying is I'm not willing to surrender any major assets (EG or draft picks) to get Porter because this is your classic salary dump. Washington did this to themselves and now, armed with one of the league's highest payrolls, they're ready to blow it up and save money. Trading for Porter helps them out as much as it helps us out. It would be a different story with the other teams I mentioned, though.

Example: T.J. Warren. His numbers are great, plays a position of need, reasonable contract and plays for a team that doesn't have much to play for. My mentality isn't going to be: offer crap contracts and no assets. A move like this is going to require future draft considerations, among other things, however unlikely it may be. Much different than the Porter situation.

Like I said, I'm willing to wait it out. Eventually, the Orlando's and Brooklyn's of the world are going to plummet in the standings. After December 15th, a lot of recently signed players playing for crap teams are going to become available. Teams are going to want to blow it up. We might be able to do something like use Knight's contract to finally land James Johnson, while also upgrading our perimeter shooting by trading Chriss/filler/draft considerations to Orlando for Terrence Ross or Brooklyn for Joe Harris. Thereby spending less money, and perhaps, better utilizing our Chriss/Knight bologna sandwich we have to offer. Mind you, I'm just throwing examples out there, but I think you get the point I'm making. To each his own, though. I do agree 100% with your point about us being stretched so thin that we might have to jump on the opportunity.

clutchdabear and HP3 like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Could you give examples of these player? You make a reasonable argument so I just wanna see who you had in mind.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets as it stands now have righted themselves. We'll see how it goes.

There absolutely is a case to be made for being patient to see how other teams fall apart in December and January.

BUT....those of us on the boards that want something to talk about.....are not as patient. :p

baller4life315 likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Nah bro, dont you still wanna talk about Melo???

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For the uneducated, this is how "overrated" Otto Porter is. Let me know how far back in the NBA almanac I need to go to unearth a season where Trevor Ariza or Ersan Ilyasova finished in the top 25 in RPM

2017-2018

1718rpm.JPG

2016-2017 RPM

1617rpm.JPG

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The opportunity cost for Porter in terms of salary is only $48 million over 3 years (average $16 million per year) when you count the reduction of $33.5 million owing to Knight and Chriss, who are providing nothing in productivity for their salaries. However, he will probably cost more than that in additional luxury tax.

Erbnwarfare likes this.
  19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Why didn't they offer Porter for Butler/filler?

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

You can dump Porter's expiring contract to Kings on summer of 2020.

What is your calculation for opportunity costs?