1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Otto Porter Movement] First it was just an afterthought, then came the movement, and now....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When looking at Bazemore and Porter, aside from contracts, is to see how they each MESH with the best players on the Rockets roster. To be clear, I like both of these players. I would be happy with either.

BUT....

The Rockets best lineup is CP/Harden/EG/Tucker/Capela.

If you get Porter or Bazemore, what is the best lineup you could do? With Porter it allows you to keep CP/Harden/EG as your troika, and ADD Porter. You get Bazemore and you have to sub out EG in that lineup.

So I am thinking along the lines of CP/Harden/EG/Porter/Tucker as your "Death lineup". I am sure this was the Rockets thinking with wanting to add Butler.

With Bazemore, you don't get an option at PF like Porter gives you. Just 1 element in this discussion.

BigMaloe, joshuaao, BMoney and 5 others like this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fultz and Chandler make up for 21M in salaries, Beal's contract is 25.5M.

I agree on Fultz, and espeically with Wall still there the Wizards have no reason to want him, they can still flip him to a third team for another player though.

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

We should be going for a forward from the Wiz, but not Porter. Jeff Green would be great

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Do it Morey!

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yb62gr2r + picks

CP3, Harden, Beal guard lineup. Oubre is a huge fan of James Harden, he even wears Harden's shoes when he plays. He's also a punk, provides some more toughness to our team.

Don't trade for Porter, dude's being paid like an all-star even though his ceiling is a good role player. It's gonna be Ryno 2.0 if we get him.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jeff Green is the epitome of fools gold in the NBA.

steddinotayto likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

what? rockets should be going after a minimum player instead of established rotational players. :confused:

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Are you throwing in 4 first round picks in with your package?

Basically EG+4 Firsts+Filler for Beal+Oubre.

HP3 likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

CP, Harden and Beal line up is too small, not to mention Washington is gonna get much better offers than what we can offer for Beal. The target should still be Porter.

Edit: I dont think Morey is gonna offer 4 first rounders for Beal but that's just me.

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey is already willing to dump four 1sts for Butler, so I don't see why not. Especially when Beal is a clear upgrade to EG.

kevcai likes this.
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I wish the luxury tax weren't a concern so we could re-sign or trade for whoever we want. It's not my money so I don't care. I agree with you that we are close and need to be willing to spend for a championship, but Morey is still going to consider value for contract. We offered four first-round picks for Butler who will command a $30M+ salary in the offseason so we're clearly willing to spend, but not for a role player like Ariza at $15M. We can clearly see where the line in the sand is.

$40M for CP3, wasn't even a question. But we had prolonged negotiations with Clint to get him back at $16M and IMO he is a needle mover.

clutchdabear and YOLO like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets are content running CP/Harden/EG out there. They would be content at running CP/Beal/Harden out there. Beal and Harden are both 6'5."

Beal is looked at pretty much as a poor man's Klay Thompson.

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea but are you gonna run Beal off the Bench? Or play him at small forward? Also the Rockets dont run that lineup for long stretches so its really tough to see where he fits in here.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I still think patience is key here, though. There are a lot of teams that are overachieving at the moment (Orlando, Sacramento, Brooklyn, Dallas, Memphis, LAC) and teams that are just flat out BAD that will likely look to blow it up (Washington, Phoenix, Miami, Atlanta, Cleveland, etc). There are players on just about every team I just mentioned that could help us. Players that don't individually cost us $26-28M + 15%.

We're winning and slowly regaining our swagger from last year. We can afford to be patient.

Like I said earlier, I'm obviously not in love with this idea, but if Chriss/Nene/Knight gets it done I would probably do it. And I understand why the general consensus in here seems to be very pro-Porter. At the same time, I can also very much see DM saying something to the effect of, "I like his game, but I can find xxx number of players that can do the same or similar at a fraction of the cost". I'm skeptical but it's a situation worth kicking the tires and keeping an eye on.

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Furthermore, if we're going to spend someone else's money like drunken sailors and bail Washington out, let's just skip right to ludicrous speed and offer to take both Porter AND Beal off of their hands.

Knight/Gordon/Nene/Chriss/Qi + multiple firsts works, at least in theory.

It would be comical. It would probably be the most expensive payroll in league history. We would basically be the Yankees of the NBA.

....but maybe that's what it takes to knock out a dynasty team like the Warriors?

NOTE: I'm not actually being serious here. Just saying, if $26-28M + 15% for a 3&D guy doesn't make you flinch, why should another $25-29M? :)

15. tc0330

tc0330 Member

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think Morey might take a shot on Porter if it can be done for Knight, Chriss, and some combo of fillers and if he can get him to waive his trade kicker, but it just puts the team in luxury tax hell.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, if we assume your scenario, which is basically just salary dumping and no meaningful assets of any way being moved.

Now look at the other teams you mentioned. What alternative hypotheticals can you think of that net the multiple serviceable players you suggest?

Hard to see any.

Part of the issue here is that the Rockets have gone so far all-in cap wise, that without moving meaningful assets (FOUR!!! 1st rounders lol, or EG+), their only other way to improve will be via cap exceptions in the offseason.

But your point is noted.

It's not my money, lol. Porter will be way overpaid for the rest of his contract, but if you could truly get it done for Chriss/Nene/Knight... I don't see another way to add LEGITIMATE production without taking a step back elsewhere.

HP3 and baller4life315 like this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Again, it's not my money, but I think most on here would say ABSOLUTELY, let's find a way to get them both.

But what you suggested offer wise is kind of ludicrous. Just because the Wizards are listening to offers doesn't mean they're going to move Beal for crap. He's their legit positive asset - to keep, to move for something way better than this suggestion, etc.

To clarify for those that don't understand the OPM. It's about trying to understand realistically what can be done. Unfortunately options are limited, so you end up saying that might be our best bet at this point.

20. aroundtheblock2

Lol. Right now hes a $28 million Trevor Ariza. That contract will kill us.