1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The one thing - this team needs!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Sengun needs to improve his shot as well to draw defenders out and not stack the box. With an 18-20 ft J he can operate out the high post run DHO or get screens from guards and 4’s or hit backdoor cuts. But yes the corner threes need to improve and wing threes when Sengun is in the post.

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

one of or a pair of the ff......

Lauri

Tyus

Paul George

KAT

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man we would have to give up a lot, will be interesting to see if Stone moves this offseason or stays pat.

DD

4. kpdark

kpdark Member

I think it ALL depends on Ime...whether he'll be patient in developing THE SIX + 2024 BKN pick [full-on internal development]----this may take more than half a decade, MAYBE...

or choose THREE from the six and mix it up with star veterans like Paul George but older, a fringe all-star but younger in Markkannen whom is a good support, then a good back up point with chemistry to former teammates DB and Aquaman/Lobo....AND TRY TO COMPETE BEFORE the alien wemby forms up his superteam

again..

it all depends on Ime and his team ...is all I know

Ancient Moabite and DaDakota like this.
  5. cumutk

cumutk Member

Shooting.. shooting..shooting..
    Jalen is overrated and inconsistent. Need better SG in starting 5.

Arda, fattz and DaDakota like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Will eventually be Cam.

DD

Mr.Scary and tycoonchip like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Paul George?

The guy turns 34 in a week, and you want to pin our title hopes on him?

How many titles has he won so far? How many times has he even reached the finals?

BigShasta and tycoonchip like this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. I just have a feeling we're going to get that with the young guys such as Jabari, Cam and I dare say Sengun.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

None of those please.

topfive and fattz like this.
  10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

An exact replica copy of Aaron Gordon.

11. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

I think we need two things... Harden and Westbrook. Can you imagine, those two on the same team? I can't

BigShasta likes this.
  12. Rokman

Rokman Member

One of the best things about the 5 young guys is not one of them is undersized. ( I'm not sold Jalen is here long-term)

Thompson - 6-7 - Future PG
    Whitmore - 6-7 - Future SG
    Eason - 6-8 - Future SF
    Smith Jr. - 6-11 - PF
    Sengun - 6-11 - C

tycoonchip, fattz and Y2JT like this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Just don't understand how one can be sold on Cam and not Jalen. That part boggles my mind.

Ancient Moabite and cmlmel77 like this.
  14. Ish

Ish Member

Cause more haters on green lol ..I just know once they brought back cam towards the end of the season, jalens production went down..cause cam still has a lot to learn..he's been a dead ball but he has really good potential to be a star..any other player had moments green had in first real year , I dont count Silas years.. they would ride him calling him the next big superstar..but am less sold on jabari..something seems super missing on him.. maybe green needs to leave Houston and we all be booing him when he gets better lol but you are .right..it boggles

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

Simple, the main thing we need from the position is shooting. Cam looks like he will he the far better shooter which is more important alongside Amen and Alpi than any of the skills Jalen has over Cam.

Secondly, attitude. Jalen seems to switch between thinking he is awesome doing lookaway 3s and then really fragile. I don't see his mental makeup leading to winning nor fitting with our new culture. Cam on the other hand is the opposite. Brooks even commented on how Cam just has that fight.

Then there is physique. Cam's size and power will have him dominate players of Jalen's frame. Ime will have him develop defensively and use that size making him a better defender than Green will be.

Finally there is the simple matter of timing. Green is coming up to being extended and has shown 1 month of play in 3 years deserving of getting one. If Cam shows no improvement in 2 more seasons we will have the same conversations about him but right now he has the advantage of having those years under Ime to develop, Jalen does not and his time is up.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-New toy syndrome
    -Betting on the unknown

You can’t be wrong if you can’t prove it either way.

17. Chayvan

Chayvan Member

Simple,
    Jalen demanding 200M this year will make it impossible to hold the team together. Cam has time to ask for such a amount

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We’re not there, yet.

fwiw: as Stone said in the presser, this isn’t the last season Jalen can sign for that much. The CBA allows signing any amount next year, up to 5-years, too.

That means he can bet on himself and not sign this year, and still get as much as a 5-year Supermax deal.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cam doesn't look like he will be the far better shooter. Green dipped in open catch and shoot shooting from last year primarily because of new role changes and expecting effort on both ends. Development isn't linear so we have no clue what Cam will do when he tries on defense for example or plays 80+ games or plays 30+ minutes.

All things that can decease shooting percentages due to fatigue.

What we do know is Cam has a more exaggerated two motion jump shot that can lead to more variance while Green has a more compact one motion form.

I think people also are trying to create false narratives like "the most important thing we need from his position....."

Thanks but you saying that doesn't make it true. What we need is dynamic special talent. Green for all his struggles still has the third highest on/off impact on offense in this team behind FVV and Jock. Jock is an outlier as he mostly played during that 11 game stretch after Alpi was out. Green had a even higher on/off impact in ppp than Sengun.

His ability to break down defenses off the dribble is the best in the team. FVV and Sengun are better at accurate passing and finding the open man when there is one but Green is still the best player on he team in creating separation that leads to help defenses having to help which leads to collapsing defenses.

No one else does that as well on this team as Green. Not Amen, not Cam. No one else. That is what Stone refers to when he says Green has a unique non replicable skillset on the team.

The only valid argument I've seen so far is the simple fact Green will soon not have the ultra valuable rookie contract attached to him

#79 fchowd0311, Apr 28, 2024 at 6:59 AM
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2024 at 7:06 AM
    Ancient Moabite likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No way is he worth that much a year unless he makes a huge jump in his shooting efficiency next year. You don't pay a SG that kind of money when there are 76 other guards in the league with a higher TS%. That would be stupid. We need a great SG to be a contender. I'm hoping we luck out and get Reed Sheppard this year or Cooper Flagg next year in the draft, so we can spend the big money on someone else to mentor them in development.

Rokman and Arda like this.