1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Next "Morey" Steal; CJ Miles

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, May 9, 2014.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It's no secret that the Rockets need to buff out their roster, specifically the bench. PG and a solid PF options have been talked about to death, but a solid swingman off the bench cannot be pushed aside. Ever since Delfino left, the team has not had any production from the back up swingman position. Garcia and Casspi were terribly inconsistent the whole season, and after the first couple of games after the trade, Hamilton has been a no show.

Since there is a lack of production at that position, as a result, Harden and Parsons have had to play almost 40 minutes a night, which is just too much. While they are young guys, playing that many minutes in that many games will wear out the best of athletes. It's no shock that Parsons was shooting was horrid at the end of the season, as did Harden's in the playoffs. Without any production off the bench, Harden and Parsons have been run to the ground.

There are several solutions to fix that problem. One, is to hope that Garcia/Casspi/Hamilton will return to form. Among that group, my hope is on Hamilton. If he comes back, I think an off season with the team will help him find a groove. He has the capabilities to be a good shooter and defender, which is what we need from that spot. Another option is to hope that our rookies can grow up fast. Daniels is already a fan favorite and pretty much has a roster/rotation spot for next season due to playoff performance, at least to start the season. But at 6'4, he is too small to put on SFs and bigger SGs and I think he will play because of a situation rather than getting rotation minutes. I do have high hopes in Covington because he is great shooter and has the length to be a good defender, but we haven't seen anything of him with the big boys. And unless these guys show major improvement and consistency, I would still want a veteran presence off the bench. Which takes us to free agency.

I think everyone on the board would love to steal Thabo away from the Thunder. I just don't see that happening unless OKC gets an upgrade or decides that Butler/Jackson are better options. I think a "steal" the Rockets and Morey can capitalize on is CJ Miles.

CJ Miles shot 39% from three this season, better than anyone on our team. He is a career 35% shooter. He has had games were he just catches fires from three and cannot miss. While he isn't the All-World defender Thabo is, CJ is still very solid. At 6'6, he can easily guard SGs and SFs with good athleticism and length to help. Cleveland is interested to bring him back, but with their organization not going anywhere in the near future, maybe the chance to get serious time on a better team will sway him to come here. To me, this would be such a steal if Morey can work his magic. Builds the bench and lets Harden and Parsons to rest more.

Thought and suggestions for the typical "Morey" steal?

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Anybody to replace Casspi is fine with me.

3. Oracle

Oracle Member

CJ Miles is a very nice player, but I don't think he is the answer to Houstons problems. Daniels appears to be a better shooter than CJ. In my opinion the point guard position is the key. Houston needs a point guard that is a true playmaker and big enough star. At present Harden is playing at the ball too much, which is hurting his game and, even more, the team game. More than that Houston needs a playmaker who can maximize Howard's production. Whoever can feed Howard at any given time will completely open up the game for all the others.

4. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

We don't need any more offensive weapons. We are putting up scores on the board night in night out. Our problem is we are letting other teams put up scores on our board night in night out with career highs.

We need Tony Allen type players.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

In other words, more garbash cheap low risk no reward players.

6. val_modus

val_modus Member

This team sorely lacks 3s and D type players and it showed big time in the playoffs.

7. TheresTheDagger

Isn't Patrick Beverley that type of player? Troy Daniels? Are they garbage?

I'm not standing up for C.J. Miles here, but not all cheap, low risk players are garbage and/or no reward.

8. Asian Sensation

PJ Tucker is the answer.

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

Would love him on this squad, exactly what we need from that position. I remember the way he haunted Harden every time they matched up, he really gets at it. Only thing is, isn't he a restricted free agent? I don't see Phoenix letting him go.

10. noone

noone Rookie

Is texas an overbearing hostile place?

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

the answer is replacing mchale with a coach that values defense.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No way Phoenix doesn't resign him, he's a key piece of their team.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We desperately need a wing defender more than anything else, remember Brewer dropping 55?

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

is this the terrific free agent les was talking about?

15. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

That's the simple and OBVIOUS answer to improving our defense (and hence - team) that everybody seems to be dancing around.

16. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

No that was Parsons as a restricted free agent, when we match all offers and bring him back for a pretty penny... $10 - $15 million.

Not worth it. A team will construct a poison pill contract for the 3rd that will kill our chances of recruiting a third star.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You spelled Patrick Patterson wrong.

18. ironariza

ironariza Member

here are several solutions to fix that problem

3, with the 42th pick, Houston Rockets select Thanasis antetokounmpo!!

19. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

I think anyone with more athleticism would be good. There were several games where Casspi tried to harness his inner Jordan and failed miserably, dude has no hops whatsoever.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know Miles has been a hell of a 3 point shooter for the cavs, and he does seem like a player morey would pickup to fill a bench spot. I don't see it happening though, he's probably going to want too many minutes and too much money. He would be a solid pickup for us, if he was ok with being a bench warmer and signing to the veterans min. Its too much risk to guarantee him 15 mins and 2-3 million dollars on this team without him being able to rebound, assist or play D. We have Daniels, and should look to go after more players like Daniel, young and cheap shooters.