1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The New ClutchFans Forums

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Clutch, Sep 22, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Spoiler-ing since it's just a minor issue. But suggestions much appreciated.
    You mean an image you first upload to imgur? Here's my use case: Let's say I want to post an image of Harden in his last game, but the original I find on the internet is bigger than I want to post here. How would I resize a photo that I found in google images? Move it to imgur, first, resize it, then post that new image url here?

With HTML, or full-syntax support of BBCode, I would just use the original source img url and type [ img=400x400 ] syntax here. That's one step.

Another use case I resize is when I have two images to put side-by-side, so I resize to have identical height.

tia

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That's exactly right. You'd copy the pic to imgur, and from there you can choose to resize it. Then use the url it provides to post.

heypartner likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is the classic response to a website redesign. Complaining with no constructive feedback. Newsflash, they aren't going to scrap all of the hard work they have done to improve the site because your "cheese has been moved."

AroundTheWorld, Clutch and heypartner like this.
  4. red

red Contributing Member

I'm only allowed to ignore 1000. That just isn't enough.

Rashmon likes this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

By the way, I take it Community Forums are gone for good? Too bad because I really enjoyed typing to myself in The Summit over the last few years.

heypartner likes this.
  6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Agreed with this.

Great on mobile but really sucks on desktop. I'm not sure if it's the display itself.

My computer is spec'd out really well. But there's some sort of problem with clutchfans on it that I'm entirely certain has to do with the advertisements.

This is the only site I visit that lags while I'm doing other work. It's pretty frustrating.

7. heypartner

Is this behavior new since the update, or have the ads been slow loading for awhile? Seems from other Feedback threads, that behavior pre-dates the upgrade.

There is significantly more GETs during load on this version, but if you have a "computer spec'd out really well" and plenty of bandwidth, I doubt you'd notice significant downgrade just because there's more css/js/ files loading and more image loads (namely, avatars).

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just curious how it works:

Had like 8 Likes on a post in the Krishna thread. Now that it's deleted I assume those Likes are removed?

9. heypartner

Well, look at your Like history, padawan. And report back the behavior for us.

I'm betting you see the likes, but if you hit the message/thread link in the Like it will say "Permission Denied" or "No longer available" or something like that.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nope, not there. They've disappeared.

Oh well. Not a big deal, was just wonderin

11. Buck Turgidson

Outside of things that have been mentioned: darkside, better color contrast on the lightside, better delineation b/t post and signature, moving the post time/details to the top....

The newish multi-quote feature (being able to flag several posts and then when you hit reply they were all there in the same reply post) was awesome. It may still be here & I just haven't found it yet.

There is no way to tell what thread you are in while you are in the thread unless you are at the very top of the page; i.e. beforehand there was a permalink at the top, around where it now has the drop-down menu for "members", that would show a clickable tree (forum ==> subforum ==> thread).

I've only played around with it for a few hours over a few days, but it really looks great. If I can ever figure what my paypal account is (I've only used it once and it was on this site) I'll throw some coin your way. Thanks for making the best online community I know of.

12. heypartner

This works, different metaphor. I think the new metaphor is better. It uses the new feature "Save Draft." Replies no longer load a separate html page. Because of that, they can continuously fill what used to be called the "Quick Reply" box at bottom of page.

What you do is hit reply to anyone, that obviously loads it in the Post Reply box. Then scroll and hit Reply again, it loads that quote where the last left off. If you have to change pages, I think you have to hit "Save Draft" if it hasn't already auto-saved.

That's it. Instead of checking each posts and loading them into a reply box all at the end...the new way loads them into the Draft as you go...just don't forget to hit Save as you move to the next page, although the auto-save does it for you...just not sure how often.

I think maybe I should make a Video of this. Not sure if I explained it well. Like this if you want a Howto vid made.

13. heypartner

^^^ example of above behavior. Note I can also use my cursor to select only a piece of each post that I want to include in the reply

FROM PAGE SIX

Now I hit the Save button and Moved to Page 2

Now I hit save again and move to Page 4

While that was an extra click per save, I just LOVE the ability to use the cursor to select only a portion of the quotes.

14. Buck Turgidson

Test.

No idea what these metaphors are you're talking about.

Thanks! I get it. It does autojump you down to the "quick reply" window every time you do that and you have to go back and find where you were, it was cool that you could just flag post, flag post, flag post, then hit Reply and it's all there in the Reply box. Minor nitpick.

Or does the Quick Reply box function differently?

15. heypartner

Draft Accumulator versus Tagging

Yeah that's the weakness. But even it if does require you to scroll back up, I find the ability to highlight just a portion of posts to reply to saves time, unless you're just accumulating one-liners to post to make a point.

The primary Use Case for me will be a "Multi-Reply" to just one long post by someone, it will usually be the last post in the Thread, or near to it, so not much scrolling. I will mark a portion, hit Reply, respond to that portion, then scroll back up, mark another portion, hit Reply, and it will load where I left off, and respond to that. Then maybe go grab a piece of someone else's post.

btw: That's what I just did to your last post. I grabbed that two pieces using the Highlight Marking ability.

So, imo, that is a significant win over having to splice pieces myself and adding new QUOTE tags to separate into pieces. I make editing mistake all the time when doing a multi-reply to someone's long post. So that Draft/Accumulator Metaphor where I can get the board to create the multi-pieces to reply will make up for lost time by needed to scroll around vs the Tagging metaphor that applies All-or-Nothing pasting.

But yeah, the tagging one-liners to make a point is useful...and much faster in the All-or-Nothing Tagging metaphor.

16. heypartner

Guess your critique is common Software critique. We say what we miss about previous metaphor/method without much thought to how we will use the new one.

The way I look at it is suppose the two methods were reversed wrt when you learned them. If the new method came first, we'd say "I miss how the Reply feature supported Fisking much better." Now I have to splice out the parts myself, and the added Quote blocks don't have the name of who I'm replying too. When I'm fisking a post or multiple posts, it helps for each quote block to have the name of the poster. The new All-or-Nothing Tagging method takes that away.

Then ppl would chime it..."But I like the new method better. I can tag many posts without my position jumping around."

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The GOOD thing is that the STYX FORUM still remains! ... ;)

GO ROCKETS!!!

18. Buck Turgidson

I still have no idea what that means, thanks for the rest of the help.

"Metaphor" obviously means something different to me than it does in your context.

19. heypartner

Yeah, software metaphors are used to describe/express real world actions/models. "Tagging" or "Flagging" in this case.

20. Buck Turgidson

This reminds me why I retired from that in '02

Thanks, HP.