1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The myth that Battier chokes in the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Artesticles, Apr 26, 2009.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I get what you meant, but i dont think that makes much sense because i'm assuming you mean we can all play that type of offense when we play at the local rec or gym, surely you dont mean you could step out on the nba court and fill in for Shane offensively on any given night, even if he doesn't do much.

I've played Ray Allen type offense myself too....with my buddies at the gym. Sometimes i'm more like Dikembe though.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

not so fast my friend:

http://www.slate.com/id/2212106/

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the key word being "piece", as in part of. If the other pieces suddenly go down with injuries then you're not gonna get anywhere.

That's irrelevant to whether he chokes or not. You can still take his playoff games and use that as evidence he doesnt choke.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Believe what u want and im not going to turn this into a tim thomas vs shane thread when they don't even play the same position. If u care to read any comment about tim thomas, I've always stated he's a matchup guy. Matchup with Odom and Dirk types. He's a guy that with his size and skill level that when teams want to sandwich yao or play like utah, he can pull boozer or whomever to the 3pt line. From there, he can shoot the 3 or take a guy off the dribble. When the rox play La, the rox don't have a guy big enough or quick enough to even keep up with odom. Odom is the matchup problem with La just as dirk is with Dallas. Im not saying he's a great player, im just saying in the playoffs, its a matchup game. U need versitility on ur roster. The contract player is bs also. He was playing well with ny before he was traded. He saved phoenix vs La also and played well with the bucks and that squad. Like I said, this is about shane responding in the game 3 and 4 and the rox have won, that's all I care.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Those that are anti-shane are just going to keep changing up their definition of "choking". Sometimes it's not showing up at all, then we point out he got at least his averages, then they say oh but he shot poorly, then you post something like that stat, and then it's oh but did he try to go above what he normally does, which has nothing to do with choking.......after they have nothing more to bring up they'll try to claim they meant he choked on a pre-game meal :rolleyes:

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It's hard to choke when you rarely assert yourself on offense.

While I don't always agree with the particulars of roster movement that leebigez suggests, I certainly appreciate the theories behind it.

I really like Shane, esp his defense, but the offense could be so much more dynamic with someone more aggressive in his role.

7. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I agree. Battier's offensive game has changed, and it has been more obvious in the last two games.

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I haven't watched Ron in the playoffs prior to this year. I'm hoping this is a bad matchup for him because he doesn't seem to have much impact on the games (other than negative last night). We'll see more if we can advance. Will the Rockets put him on Odom?