1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The myth that Battier chokes in the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Artesticles, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Honestly man, I'm beginning to question your reading comprehension skills. What part about the STARS usually canceling each other out in the playoffs did you not understand? Also, what part about role players many times ending up deciding who wins and loses in the post-season did you not understand either? Last, what part about Shane's historic inability to step-up in the post-season did you not understand as well?

I don't think anyone blamed solely Battier for the Rockets losing any series. His inability to step-up even when the Rockets were completely healthy against the Jazz 2 years ago and when those 50-win Memphis teams were at full strength is what we're talking about.

Role players like the long list of examples I gave you have to occasionally step-up and elevate their games to make big plays. Battier has done that the past couple of games. His historic inability to do so when much less glorified players have shown that it can be done is a legitimate criticism.

You said majority of the season. Those were your words not mine. The NBA regular season begins in Oct. and ends in April. You were proven to be false even by your own tacit admission

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

this is exactly why i dont even bother answering you sometimes....to you "majority" means it has to be from last year, right?...but this discussion took place like the first week of april, that's at least 3 MONTHS into THIS year. How much of the season took place last year? 2 months and 2 days. Humm Kwame, what's the majority, 3 months (this year) or 2mos and 2 days (last year)??? I remember in Pre-k i was thought 3 was more than 2...

You'll probably just accuse me of being selective or taking your words too literally, but you're the one who claimed my proof was only credible if it was from last year and that otherwise it wasnt truly the majority of the season, they were "your words, not mine"...

3. kkkpopov

kkkpopov Member

He is always conscious and steady,full of passion.He has a big heart and a good feeling for 3.
    He save the ROX tonight
    Good Job !Shane

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm just telling you what he said, i'm not claiming that's his usual style. That's why i didnt say it was related to his style, but his coaching. His style would be what you mentioned, coaching can simply be any instructions he's given, doesn't necessarily have to be within his usual style.

I think it may have been in the "concerns over shane battier" thread, i cant search and google only provides a few single posts of that thread, so if you or anyone can link me to it i can try to find it, i'm not just making stuff up and i'll be glad to look it up, but i'm at a handicap since I cant search within clutchfans (which is why Kwame always asks ME to look things up, he knows i cant and have to depend on google).

But like you said, all i care about is houston winning, which is why i dont get why some fans are bothered by a low number on a boxscore when we're getting Ws. I know that's not really you're beef with shane, but it seems like it is with everyone else who hates on him, like Kwame. Maybe if his sig said something like "Rockets are 10-30 when shane scores in single digits and plays 30 mins", then I'd understand, but when he has "Shane Battier: The lowest scoring player in the NBA among those who regularly start and play over 30 mpg." that tells me his beef isn't related to wins and losses, he's just irked by the fact that he scores so little in so many minutes.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Battier, Rudy Gay, never been big on that, who cares. Water under the bridge. No one's talking about Eddie Griffin, who'd still be just 27 years old in the prime of his career now...

A Derrick McKey reference, nice

My thing is, we can ALL play Shane Battier's type of offense. Everyone in this thread. Step out to the perimeter and the corner, and supply your team with an "outside threat". When covered cut through the lane to the opposite corner. Be a "floor spacer" giving the talented star players more room to operate. Provide them one less player they have to think about passing it to so they can concentrate on dominating. Less is more.

Except it amounts to standing around not doing diddle until they feel to pass it to you. And its not like you have to do anything with the ball once you get it, you simply swing it back out to someone else. I stepped out on the court the other day for the first time in years and was a "floor spacer" and "ball mover" for my team, letting my fat sorry ass get out the way and lettting the real ballers go to work.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Except that Battier hits consecutive three pointers to win playoff games while you sit on your ass. Except that Battier defends the other teams best f-ing player game in, game out. If this is the best you can do after tonight's game you need to seriously stop posting, "real baller."

Incidentally, the other morons that moan Rudy "I've never came within 35 games of the playoffs" Gay in their sleep, just keep in mind that moving that pick not only allowed us to get Battier, but also helped us get rid of Stromile Swift's mid-level contract after one crappy year. Without that cap flexibility the Rockets don't get Luis Scola. I'll take Battier + Scola every f-ing day over Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift. I'll also take Daryl Morey's basketball knowledge over people that would ever, ever want Tim Thomas and Ricky Davis on their team.

7. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

True. ;)

8. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Where's Kwame? northeastfan? MAN UP!!!!

9. Upforever

Upforever Member

We could not win without him. Just like the fish can't live without water! That is true!

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Update your sig, T-Yao.

3-1!!!

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

battier has been clutch, but he still has his deficiencies. threads like this before the first round series isn't even over, when this guy was supposed the missing piece to a championship are on another level of ridiculous.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Keep Battier, jettison Ron.

DD

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Battier is shooting 45% on threes as a Rocket in the playoffs. He can go through his down streaks during the regular season, but he does seem to get his shooting together in the playoffs.

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think anyone ever questions Shane's excellent defense. I think the argument is with his offense. And although I appreciate Battier's shooting, i think Shroopy makes a good point. I think what shane does on offensive is overblown by his supporters and generally underappreciated by his detractors. You could say he hit clutch shots but really he's just a good 3 point shooter who got open. It's not like he "went Kobe" and started draining multiple contested jumpers.

But who cares we're up 3-1!! :D

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Nothing but love and appreciation for Shane. I can't believe his haters are trying to pour piss and vinegar on him after the way he saved us last night.

There's nothing wrong in saying "I'm not his biggest fan, but I've got to give him credit for those clutch 3s last night"

Evan

16. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Maybe the past 2 or 3 season ago he would choke in the playoff is because he have to gaurd the other team top player. Now that we have ron to switch off from time to time. Shane can have some rest and be ready on the offensive side. Try back pedaling and side track your feet on defense and then come down and see if you have the legs to give you a lift at the 3 pt line. Remember he's no superman he's BATMAN!!!! :D

17. parmesh

parmesh Member

Battier has proven to be a much better fit. He just goes with the system, and he is great at getting good shots off of Yao. I like him in tandem with Von because then you have a triangle offense of sorts that we get to see: Yao on the Inside, Battier on the outside, and Von driving tp the rim.

18. ibm

ibm Member

/thread :cool:

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Since when did he choke in playoffs? He plays better in them if you ask me. If he did... well he sure as hell doesn't now. I can't wait to see the defensive battle between him and Kobe.

20. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

You do realize Tim Thomas is in the playoffs this season, right?

Which would you take again?

Tim Thomas stats for Bulls vs. Celtics, 2009 playoffs
    - 2 DNP-CD's out of 4 games.
    - 15 total minutes of action. 7 total points on 30% shooting (25% from 3), 3 reb. no steals, no assists, no blocks.
    - net +/- : -3
    - 2009 salary: $6,049,400.
    - Currently Bulls 2, Celtics 2

Shane Battier stats for Rockets vs. Blazers, 2009 playoffs
    - 155 total minutes of action. 40 points (10ppg) on 52% shooting (43% from 3), 23 reb, a steal per game, 2.3 assists pg, a block pg.
    - net +/- : +35
    - 2009 salary: $6,448,900.
    - Currently Rockets 3, Blazers 1

And as far as raising one's game in the playoffs, this season, Battier has done it:
    - playoff scoring is up ~30% vs the reg season
    - getting an extra rebound per game, as well as more blocks per game.
    - shooting percentages are up:
    - +11% from the field (52% vs 41%)
    - +5% from 3 (43% vs 38%)
    - +7% for FT (89% vs 82%) ​
    - he's also getting to the line twice as much: 2.25 att/gm in the playoffs, 1.1 att/game in the reg. season.

as has already been noted, Tim Thomas' good playoff runs have only come in contract years. The guy is the poster boy for paycheck collectors, IMO. And he was never willing to do any of the tough work, even in his "good" years. Battier is the opposite.

Like Evan said, even if you don't like Battier for whatever reason, it's hard to argue with his production in these playoffs so far, and in the last 2 games in particular.