1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The media has a Role in Current Divisiveness With Russian Interference Reporting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Oct 25, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Trump won the electoral vote because he knew where to direct his efforts

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obviously the media is pointing the finger at Trump creating division with the recent threatening packages being delivered to Democrats and their supporters.

The Russian reporting attempted to discredit his win and his voters creating made up friction

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean like making the claim that I said Trump won BECAUSE of Russian interference multiple times? Then you claimed you could produce the posts where I said that.

The difference between that and the post you quoted is that you were completely wrong.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im not going back two years to prove this or backing off claim.

My post is relevant to today's news. I haven't even discussed this topic until now

Thats how wrong he is

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Nook

We can do without the condescension especially when you have three replies

I mean really it could be a nice conversation

TIA

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't going back two years, two days, or two centuries to prove it, because you can't do it. It never happened. In fact, I said while it was possible that it swayed enough voters to not vote for Hillary or to Vote for Donald, it can not be shown to have definitely been the case.

I never said it was. You don't have to back off your claim, it just makes you a liar rather than just wrong.

pgabriel likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Agree with the dogpile that the media narrative hasn't been that Russia tipped the election. The narrative has been that they interfered and the impact might have been significant but we can't know. For a Trump voter looking to think the worst of MSM though, you just need to boil out the nuance to make a strawman that the media is saying the Russians threw the election and Trump is not a legitimate president. His legitimacy, btw, also isn't an issue of much controversy that I can see -- whatever happened in 2016, people willingly cast their ballots for Trump and he is the president. Maybe he gets impeached later, but the media isn't saying he's a fake president today.

However, I wanted to comment on the title about divisiveness. The Russia Inquiry might be a symptom of divisiveness (actually, I think it is a symptom of Trump associating with so many shady characters with Russia connections), but it's not the cause. If there was no hint of any Russia conspiracy, many people would still hate his guts for his anti-immigrant stuff, his white nationalist stuff, and the fact that he's personally a terrible human being. Maybe the Russia storyline adds incrementally to the total. Also, while I think the person of Trump is reason for much of the current divisiveness, there was some that was inevitably going to come due to Democratic bitterness over how Republicans treated and worked with President Obama. Rightly or wrongly (though I think it was rightly), many Democrats believe Congress refused to work with him, not because of policy differences, but because of simple partisanship. They didn't want him to get any win. There was going to be payback. Maybe you think the Russia inquiry is part of that payback. If it is, its a symptom. The cause came a long time before.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Maybe you should quit reporting it as truth that the media claimed that Russia is the reason Trump won,

Why do you always feel the need to create strawmen so you can argue against your made up reality? Why can't you ever use real live facts? Is this what Russia is teaching you?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The media claimed people changed their votes because of Russian Interference

Thats notva strawman

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're a smart guy. Let me just ask you if you think the Russian Interference story added vitrol in this forum?

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Trump won as payback for Obergfell and DADT repeal, coupled with some Homer Plessy gag reflex. The same large swath of the American people keeps collectively making destructive, hateful choices; we wouldn't be spending a trillion a year on Crusader drone strikes and racking up American military deaths a quarter century after the Cold War otherwise.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Honestly, no, it just changed the flavor. We still have plenty of material to be disgusted with one another over regarding Trump. The one thing that is different and special about the Russia collusion angle is that it gives liberals a ray of hope that there might be an impeachment at the end of the rainbow that can bring this painful chapter to an early conclusion. In that light, maybe liberals have more fight in them because of it. and they aren't ready to surrender and say I guess this is who we are now.

pgabriel likes this.