1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The media agenda regarding James Harden's "defense"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Mar 7, 2016.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Not really an important topic honestly just something that is worth mentioning, the media agenda against this team is something. Granted the Rockets have given then PLENTY of reasons why they should, some stuff is just far out reaching to this point. James Harden was just about brilliant last night but according to ESPN he wasn't.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">James Harden might have put up 40 points tonight, but his defensive efforts weren’t as impressive.<br><br>Proof: <a href="https://t.co/qskkLR9y4I">https://t.co/qskkLR9y4I</a></p>&mdash; ESPN (@espn) <a href="https://twitter.com/espn/status/706680413532635136">March 7, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now that's ESPN, not Bleacher Report who is just about the bigget joke in sports reporting or the other non relevant shows. We all know what Harden is capable of doing defensively and if you watch the entire 48 minute game, he has his moments of stout defense. These clickbait sites tho get a 10 second span of his bad defensive habits and run with it. Curry is an all world player and will go down as the greatest shooter ever most likely but if you watch Warriors game, Curry gets beaten so badly on the defensive end at times yet you see not one clip from any of these sites whereas to Harden, one defensive lapse and it's hot takes time. I used to just block it out but it's gotten to the point where this is starting to become extremely annoying. Had to vent a bit, have a good one CF.

1 person likes this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Yeah, I saw that garbage on their Instagram.

3. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

40 points 5 rebounds 15 assist and just 1 turnover. ESPN can eat a d*** with that hating ****. If anyone thinks he ain't been playing defense the uh ain't watch the game. He had 5 fouls and his man was in the corner so he couldn't reach in.

3 people like this.
  4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

what really annoys me the most, THE ROCKETS WON THE GAME.
    If we had loss then go ahead we lost, but WE WON THE GAME.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's pretty simple, really.

That Youtube video of Harden went viral way back when and got tons of hits. Now...anytime Harden messes up defense, it's going to be posted because it will get tons of hits.

Harden's not good at defense, but yeah...he's targeted. I guess he brought it on himself for letting his reputation get to this point, but I agree that it's tiresome because it's pure click-bait.

6. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Gotta score and assist for 65% of the team's points and not take plays off, right?

7. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I can't think of another single player in the NBA that ESPN does this to. I mean, there are blooper reels & stuff all the time, but I can't think of any other player (superstar or otherwise) that they highlight for bad defense.

Maybe I just don't pay enough attention.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I think you maybe the only one in this thread so far still being a little bit of rational.

However, you got it reversed.

Yes, Harden's being targeted, but yeah, its because he is not good at defense.

Not the other way around.

The same as Dwight.

Dwight is being targeted as hack-a option very often, but yeah, its only because he is not good at free throw,

Being targeted will not make you a bad defender or bad free throw shooter, its the other way around, you are targeted because you are specially bad on certain things.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Recent article on Deadspin talked about this. Although I honestly couldn't tell if that article was blasting lazy media coverage of Harden or itself doing lazy coverage of Harden.

1 person likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Until Harden wins Defensive player of the year he will always be regarded as a bad defender.

He'll just have to deal with it.

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Agreed, it's frustrating because WE saw last year what Harden was capable of doing defensively and translating it to offense (another arguement for another thread) and yeah Harden gives them reasons to but still at the same time there hasn't been another player that gets singled out as much as he does.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I mean... he is bad, though. His man-to-man defense is fine when he competes, but his transition defense is the worst I've ever seen. Last night, 1st half, worst transition defense I've seen. I have no problem with him being burned. Hope they continue to roast him. Step up or get roasted.

1 person likes this.
  13. dotcom

dotcom Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The real highlights you should be seeing from Harden's stellar 40 point, 14 assist performance!<a href="https://t.co/LZVKxwRD7p">https://t.co/LZVKxwRD7p</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/706694521044672514">March 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Subtweet intended <a href="https://t.co/lez83diu3r">https://t.co/lez83diu3r</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/706705939680788481">March 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The funny thing about these Harden articles is how some of them include phrases like...

"He had 40 points and 14 assists so this is probably unfair to him but we'll do it anyway"

or...

"You could make a case that this is nitpicking an otherwise terrific performance but we'll do it anyway"

or...

"You could probably find a clip of any star player taking plays off like this but since Harden has this reputation we'll focus on him anyway"

It's just funny that these articles have become self-aware of their own ridiculousness but are posted anyway purely because they will get clicks.

1 person likes this.
  15. nemac

nemac Member

Let's make a Curry defensive lowlights. Get some people together, assign everyone a game that they have to watch, we'll have clips in no time. Sick of it!

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

He was targeted because the difference of his own performance on both offensive and defensive end.

If he is not that good on offense, no one will give a fork about him, and probably he will at best like the type of players as Thornton as a bench warmer, or may not even have a job in the league with his effort issue.

But because he is that good on offense, the contrast is so obvious and of course he will be targeted.

If you can not accept the bad reps that will come along with the praise for this kind of player, then its on you.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this. THIS. there's a pretty easy way to combat the "media agenda regarding James Harden's 'defense'", and that's to start playing some. I'm a big Harden fan, but until he shows the effort at least, he deserves being singled out like this. I'm with Ziggy on this one.

18. RESINator

RESINator Member

He's going to get ****ted on given the Rockets record this season

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is no agenda - he needs to play some defense.

Even giving a little effort will turn that around - he is an amazing offensive player, who is goldbricking on defense.

DD

20. sabesque

sabesque Member

Getting a nice little clickbait headline off of a 3 second play that propels a narrative is more important than reporting.

Media has sacrificed journalism in order to sell out in favor of digital metrics. Doesn't matter to them what BS they throw up there as long as it their Samsung banner ads has decent impression numbers and the :15 Chick-fil-a preroll ad gets some views.

At the end of the day ESPN sold its soul for ****ty content.

2 people like this.