1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Melo Thread? Melo comments on his departure from HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

I think Melo told half truth just heard on TV that he said nobody came to him about coming off the bench I think that is a lie its 3 sides to a story his side, the Rockets side, and the truth and look at the numbers we really turn the corner when he left. Im just not understanding how he didnt know his role when he spent the whole training camp with the Rockets somebody lying. And the Rockets did not scapegoat him he just wasnt the ideal fit for us shouldnt have sign him to begin with

D-rock, dreamshakin and jsilencio like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Melo has obviously chosen to be AI. But the star players who stay in the league past their prime are the ones who adapt to a secondary (or tertiary) role. Think D-Wade the last couple of years.

My favorite part from that article:

It’s almost a little too on-the-nose for Melo to have been stunned to learn that he’d fallen out of the Rockets’ rotation at that exact moment, under those exact circumstances, and for him to still be reaching for non-basketball reasons in order to explain it. Tragically, it’s the failure to understand the basketball reasons why he lost his last basketball job that will probably account for his inability to land another one.

D-rock, fckbandwagons and jch1911 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

AI did not even practice so I think Melo has that going for him, he luvs practicing, maybe just not the right things.

Jeremy Lin has no job, do I think he can't play no more? Nope, he still got couple years left.

Teams nowadays fill their roster with 2 way contracts, G-league scrubs, Euro scrubs, other scrubs....full.

I think one week after FA started, most teams got their 13-14 players ready on the roster, that is insanely quick.

I do think Melo isn't a cancer anymore, at least not a big one, he is willing to change.

The league still thinks he is.

#243 daywalker02, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not so sure anyone thinks Melo's a cancer at this point. His teammates always seem to love the guy.

But like @Easy said, there's a balance between what that player brings to the team on the court, and what he brings along with him OFF the court. Since his early years in the league, Melo has always been followed by weighted expectations and by media who wanted to document how he's going to adapt to his new situation. That kind of stuff is like a cloud that descends over the team and remains there, day after day. Even when things are going well, that cloud is still surrounding you and makes it difficult or impossible to do many of the normal things that a team needs to do.

The types of superstars you want on your team are: young obvious-superstars-to-be, current superstars, and former superstars who have accepted their current limitations and aren't media magnets.

hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

-His take on police brutality

-Reputation for getting coaches fired

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Everything I have read about Harden is he wants to do whatever it takes to win. In terms of coaching and player moves.

I think what is REALLY going to be interesting.....is if Harden butt heads with Fertitta in terms of adding talent (at the margins) to go into the LT to help the team's chances at winning a title.

At some point that could come to a head.

7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Not sure why you're not getting it. Melo averaged 13pts off the bench in 10 games. You're telling me he's not good enough to be on a NBA roster? He's not better than Looney? He's been blackballed

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

lmao, the 1st one is a joke, and he only has himself to blame for that reputation

so, he doesn’t work well with coaches, and he sucks on both ends of the floor...yeah, teams should be lining up to acquire washed Melo...

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That might absolutely be the case with him. You can't shake the media, that is for sure.

However, the right context was injuries, bad overall play, CP3's suspension derailed the start. Of course playing bad defense and the absence of Bigglydick added to it.

I mean you could take Melo's season with the Thunder, it was an Up and Down but he did nearly play an entire season. (78 out of 82 games) (shot 35.7% from 3, okay enough)

He was a below average fit with Houston before he even came here but he could still have found time with another team.

If Morey thought Melo would score 20+ ppg in 29 minutes every night, then he is delusional.

#249 daywalker02, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

they were cutting Melo out of the rotation since he was atrocious and killing us defensively while also being garbage on offense

With him [Anthony] on the bench, the Rockets have allowed 104.5 points per 100 possessions, according to Cleaning the Glass’ tracking — slightly fewer than the 105.8 they allowed last season, which ranked sixth in the league. With Melo, Houston’s defensive rating has ballooned to 114.1 points per 100 possessions, which would rank 27th.

Yeah, he begrudgingly accepted a bench role, but u think he would’ve accepted not being in the rotation at all? At that point, u might as well just cut him.

The Rockets believed that if the popular star got DNPs and low minutes, it could have resulted in a distracting media fascination daily, a source said. Sources added that D’Antoni felt pressure to play the six-time All-NBA selection just because of his superstar status.

Players who were as horrible as Melo was for us get cut all the time. Because his name is Melo, the former star who’s now washed, it’s some big deal. That is what sours teams on signing him. He doesn’t realize just how bad he is now, and teams will feel pressure to play him even tho he’s garbage on both ends because if they sit him on the bench getting no PT because he’s hurting the team, it will become some unwanted distraction.

IvanLCPM, D-rock, topfive and 2 others like this.
  11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yea I remember your trollin from earlier in the year, so I don't expect anything of substance from you

But there are ppl like myself & others who appreciate Melo's stance on police. Also his reputation among coaches had no significance here because he did everything we asked him too. Melo haters usually resort to pointless projecting & babbling

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

says the dude who posts nothing but garbage...move along and stop wasting my time

yeah, 0 teams want Melo because of his stance on police brutality like he was the NBA’s Colin Kaepernick...u can miss me with your stupidity

fckbandwagons likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good quoted stuff there Reeko.

Right now Carmelo has to accept the Gerald Green role. A guy that MIGHT play one night and not play on other nights. Just insert him in games where some scoring might be needed but on other nights if it is close and defense is warranted he doesn't play. That is a TOUGH mindset to have. But it is what can keep him in the league.

Reeko likes this.
  14. alethios

alethios Member

Great article.

The telling theme in the article was exactly that (in bold) - he failed to understand why he was relegated to the bench, booted off the rotation and rather quickly released from the team.

But unfortunately, optics also drive the narrative as well as the public outcry from his friends in the league. He's well liked which makes it hard for any team, especially ours, to not look like villains in this case.

D-rock, Easy and topfive like this.
  15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

This is the downside of using analytics. You can cherry pick information & draw inaccurate conclusions without any eye test. Now keep in mind this is only a 10 game sample size, which isn't enough to draw anything. But during these 10 games the Rockets had absolutely no identity on defense, given Jeff Bzdelik unexpectedly retired before training camp. Not to mention Harden, CP, EG & Capela ALL looked atrocious. No energy or focus.

With that said, how do you mention him defensively without putting in context our team defense as a whole? Were we playing him as a small ball center? That could also be a issue if you don't have a defensive coach through training camp. Context is needed if you're throwing out these analytic stats

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

and I’d be shocked if he ever came to that realization and adopted that mindset...he will probably feel that it’s too beneath him

IMO, he will accept a bench role, but it had better come with 25 minutes of playing time and 12 or so shots a game. Melo being cool with DNPs? I just can’t see it.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Better yet, he could accept the Gerald Green role and learn to excel in it.

I mean, Melo's always been a talented scorer, unstoppable at times. That's something most teams could use off the bench, even with questionable skill and effort on defense. But it's the "accept" part he's obviously struggled with in recent years.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, Melo had the worst net rating on the team for a reason

the eye test shows Melo sucks on defense, I didn’t even need stats to prove that...the eye test also shows he sucks offensively outside of the occasional hot stretch...no stats needed for that either

in conclusion, Melo sucks on both ends of the floor

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The eye test showed everybody sucked on defense without a cohesive scheme. Everybody who watched the season knows this. Bill Worrell called it the worst he's ever seen us after Harden let his man walk past him

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo provided negative value defensively, and was bad offensively...this is something u Melo fans can’t grasp

this is my last reply...going back and forth over your nonsense posts is a waste of time...move along