1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The lack of basketball IQ on this team is staggering

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Turbo, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

And I think it's a result of the philosophy of the front office having such an emphasis on analytics. Don't get me wrong, I think Morey is a good GM and he has previously brought in players with high bb IQ (Battier, Scola, Dragic, Lowry as examples), but age old, proven techniques, such as shying away from the 'live by the three, die by the three' & 'defense wins championships' approaches, (or how about 'drive to the basket when your jump shot isn't falling') and are seemingly ignored or go unused by the bulk of the current Rockets. Beverley & Howard seem to have a good grasp of traditional winning strategies, but it's alarming to see the rest of the team's ignorance in playing team ball.

Of course, a lot of the blame can be placed on the coaching staff, as these problems typically stem from a lack of discipline. While I'd like to give McHale the benefit of the doubt, he's displayed these bad traits his entire coaching career, going back to his stint in Minnesota. Although I was never sold on McHale as coach and thought that it was a curious choice from the beginning.

In my opinion, the Rockets need either a strong coach or superb talent with high basketball IQ and leadership capabilities, in order to resolve these troubling tendencies (Melo will only exacerbate the problem). I can only hope that these problems are resolved somehow in the offseason and that's going to take a concerted effort by the organization to address it.

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's the result of having the 3rd youngest team in the NBA

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Can we hire Battier as an assistant

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, pretty low IQ team including the coach.

2 people like this.
  5. Hmm

Hmm Member

Well, it STARTS with the coach...

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Imagine how much lower it would be without Lin's Harvard IQ.

7. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

totally agree. great win but every game it is something else. that parson 3 with like 3 minutes left when they needed to run clock and there was noone under basket and he wasnt really open was so aggravating.

8. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

yes it is very ironic with the moreyball factor.

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

They make dumb mistakes constantly

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Another bad play was in transition when Howard closed out on a wing shooter. Asik got the rebound, passed it to Lin who ran the break. Lin passed it to Parsons, Parsons drove but pulled out. If they looked up, Dwight was already under the basket with a small on him. Easy two and they both missed him.

11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

It takes McHale a whole day to make adjustments. He coaches from the chair. He does not really anticipate offenses. He just kinda guesses... like a child putting different shaped blocks in a hole. That's really the most frustrating part. He doesn't call timeouts to stop an opposing team's run until their lead goes down to two possessions. It took Hakeem and Mario Elie to fire this team up.. shows lack of coaching IQ and drive.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I can't believe that the crowded passes to Asik still haven't stopped.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah.

I will be blunt. This is a dumb team from top to bottom.

I do not think its just the "young team" thing. Their court IQ is just not there.

I have seen Dwight make absolutely dumb fouls on the perimeter. I have seen him commit unnecessary goal tends couple of times in this series.

I cant even classify Harden's defense as lack of IQ. He has gone full r****d on defense. On offense he makes such dumb decisions. And we have seen him make some horrible decisions late in the 4th. Passing to Dwight when you know they are going to foul. Really?

I get really frustrated by Parsons drive to the basket. He needs to know when to pass and when to pull out. He is trying to force issue under the paint.

Beverley and Garcia commit some really stupid fouls on jump shooters.

Lin's mental lapses are well known, and usually gets compounded because of the position he plays.

I get nervous when Lin and Harden handle the ball late in the game. Not that they could miss, but that they wont get a decent shot off.

And then you have the coach, who is like the Godfather of dumb****s.

I, for one, will be absolutely amaaaaazed if this bunch ever gets to the finals.

I know it sounds harsh but if you watch the games, you will be able to spot and corroborate everything I wrote above.

#13 Zboy, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. jocar

jocar Member

Lin probably has the lowest basketball IQ in the league. Coincidence?

15. JazzLakerHater

Wasn't there a story that the Rockets want to bring Battier back to the organization when he retires.

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

Yay more misplaced criticism of Moreyball. Clearly threes suck since the Heat/Spurs barely shot any last year. Oh wait.

And I'm sure our analytical team wants us to not play defense.

1 person likes this.
  17. Stats

Stats Member

Not sure if today is the day you want to bring this up. Maybe if he loses game 6 for us. You hoping?

18. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

it's uncanny how much the pass up howard when he has deep positioning.

19. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I think youth is too easy of an excuse. That didn't seem to be an issue for the Oklahoma City team that went to the finals. The Raptors this year are young team and don't seem to suffer from the same mental lapses as these Rockets. As others have mentioned, using the clock as an ally and passing out to the open man are other areas that can be improved upon by proper instruction and practice of basic principles. The responsibility to provide that guidance should fall on the coaching staff.

20. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

it's really more about a lack of system being supported by analytics. spurs and heat actually coalesce around a basic idea on offense (it looks like they run plays).

1 person likes this.