1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Irony of The Mav/Warrior Match-up

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DwangBoy, May 4, 2007.

1. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

is that it never would have happened if teams insisted on "resting their players".

when avery (mavs) played donnie nelson (warriors) the last game of the regular season, he sat all his players and let the Warriors win, basically..

well, that cost them advancing into the second round..

kinda sucks when you rest your players, only to have the team that beats you use that win to get into the playoffs and BEAT your rested players...

that's just funny as hell.

2. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

or second to last game.. whatever, it doesn't matter... it's just funny as shlt

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what :confused:

it was just one game

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

You need to look at the standings again. GS would've been the 8th seed even if Dallas had won that game.

But I don't think teams look for any sort of advantage in the standings.

Lakers could've easily lost against the Kings in the last game and they would've been the 8th seed. I thought they had a better chance facing the Mavs than the Suns.

5. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

He rested all his players against GS and then the next night played all the starters in a blow out of seattle

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Oh, I totally missed the point. :eek:

7. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

i think the mavs just dont match up well with the warriors..regardless of rest. They are a baby phoenix suns, run and gun ..they just shot the ball well and made key plays down the stretch to win the series..i mean they got swept during the regular season, obviuosly the warriors are the mavs cryptonite, sort of how the suns are our cryptonite..anyway thats just my opinion.

8. Rockets64

Rockets64 Member

So let me get this straight... even after watching the Warriors pummel the Mavs in the PLAYOFFS, you think Dallas would've beaten them in the regular season if they just played their starters? I don't think you get it. The Golden State Warriors are damn good.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

So many things could have happened and Dallas would have been strolling into the 2nd round

The Clippers could have decided not to choke against the Kings and held on to the 8th seed.

The Lakers could have lost against the Kings and GS would have been the 7th spot playing against Phoenix, Dallas defeats Lakers in 5

10. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

how about the irony of stephen jackson almost costing GS a playoff spot this year by beating them with a three pointer at the buzzer while he was still with Indiana, before he got traded? been reading about it in some of the postgame stories. that's pretty wild.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

you think the mavs would've run if they played their starters?

12. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

WHAT?!?!?!?
    oh.. i'm tripping..
    they were two games up.
    sorry bad thread lock it up.

but wouldn't it hvae been ironic if they rested their players against GS who made it in the playoffs by 1 game over the clippers, only to get beat by gs, when they would have manhandled the clippers?

13. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I thought so too initially, but after watching the series, i'm not so sure.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

GS would have won with or without Dirk resting.

15. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

EXACTLY!!!..if they couldnt even win in the freakin playoffs why would they beat them in the reg reason!!!

starters or not..GSW has owned dallas so far just like phoenix owns the rockets.

16. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

the mavs home page on nba.com doesn't even acknowledge that the 1st round series took place. i wonder if mark cuban is in charge of that page. sounds like something he's do. sore losers.

17. FFz

FFz Member

don't forget we gave Golden State a game also by resting T-mac that one game. It was the first game where t-mac went out with a back strain 5 minutes into it.

18. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

mannnnnn..now thats wierd...no mention of the warriors. :eek:

19. fredthered

fredthered Member

Except the Warriors just beat the Mavs 4 out of 6 times. What makes you think the Mavs would have won in the regular season with nothing to play for if they were crushed when they had everything to play for?

20. max14

max14 Member

The real irony is Donnie was the one went to Germany, brought back the 19 year old German, made him a great player; then Donnie destroyed this same player and his legacy with his own hands.