1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Impeachment of President Joe Biden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

US House's McCarthy opens long-shot impeachment probe of Biden

WASHINGTON, Sept 12 (Reuters) - Republican U.S. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday launched an impeachment inquiry into Joe Biden, propelling Congress toward a long-shot effort to remove the Democratic president following two impeachments of former President Donald Trump.

McCarthy's move sets the stage for months of divisive House of Representatives hearings that could distract from lawmakers' efforts to avoid a government shutdown and could supercharge the 2024 presidential race, in which Trump hopes to avenge his 2020 election loss to Biden and win back the White House.

Republicans, who now narrowly control the House, have accused Biden of profiting while he served as vice president from 2009 to 2017 from his son Hunter Biden's foreign business ventures. But a 2020 Senate investigation and several months of digging by House Republicans this year have failed to turn up evidence of wrongdoing by Biden.

"We will go where the evidence takes us," McCarthy said.

Biden previously had mocked Republicans over a possible impeachment and the White House said they have no basis to do so.

"Extreme politics at its worst," White House spokesperson Ian Sams wrote on social media.

The inquiry will focus on Hunter Biden's business dealings in Ukraine, which Republicans have been probing since before they took their current House majority this year. Indeed, Trump's first impeachment was prompted by his requests to Ukraine to probe them as he braced for an election challenge by Biden.

No U.S. president has ever been removed from office by impeachment, but the procedure - once a rarity - has become commonplace.

Many in McCarthy's party were infuriated when the House, then controlled by Democrats, impeached Trump in 2019 and 2021, though he was acquitted both times in the Senate. Some hardline Republicans had said they would try to remove McCarthy as the leader of the House if he did not move ahead with an impeachment effort against Biden.

FEDERAL PROBE OF HUNTER
    Republicans have been investigating Hunter Biden's business activities for years, and a federal prosecutor is also pursuing criminal tax and firearms charges.

McCarthy said Republicans have turned up evidence of phone calls, money transfers and other activity that "paints a picture of a culture of corruption" in Biden's family. He did not cite any evidence of misconduct by Biden himself.

McCarthy said he moved to enhance investigators' ability to get information, not reach a pre-determined outcome. "That's all we're doing. America needs the answers," he told reporters.

They will begin their work without a vote from the full House, as was held before Trump's first impeachment. Such a vote is not required, but can add legitimacy to the effort.

It was not clear whether McCarthy had the support of enough of his narrow 222-212 majority for a vote to have succeeded.

Republican Senator Mitt Romney, one of the party's more moderate voices, said he was comfortable with the move.

"The fact that the White House has been singularly silent and has coddled Hunter Biden suggests that an inquiry is not inappropriate," Romney told reporters.

Democrats blasted the inquiry as an effort to shift attention from Republicans' own struggles to govern, as well as the legal woes of Trump, who faces four separate criminal indictments while running for his party's 2024 presidential nomination to face Biden.

"This impeachment is Kevin McCarthy’s shiny new object to distract the public from the fact that the GOP can’t even pass bills to fund the government," Democratic Representative Pramila Jayapal said.

Several hardline Republicans have said they would not vote for spending bills to keep the government funded without an impeachment inquiry. If Congress does not pass those spending bills by the start of the new fiscal year on Oct. 1, large swaths of the U.S. government would have to shut down.

One Republicans who had previously been skeptical of the impeachment push, Representative Ken Buck, said McCarthy's decision to allow the Judiciary, Oversight and Ways and Means committees to pursue an impeachment inquiry would prevent the entire chamber from being paralyzed. "The House should be focusing on spending instead," he said.

Any effort to remove Biden from office would be unlikely to succeed. Even if the House votes to impeach Biden it would almost certainly fail in a subsequent trial in the Democratic-controlled Senate, where a two-thirds vote is required to convict.

Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer called the impeachment inquiry "absurd."

Trump is the only U.S. president to have been impeached twice. In 2019, the House charged Trump with abuse of power and obstruction of Congress after he asked Ukraine to investigate Biden and his son on unsubstantiated corruption accusations.

In 2021, the House impeached Trump on a charge of inciting an insurrection following the attack on the U.S. Capitol by his supporters.

He was acquitted both times in the Senate. Trump denied wrongdoing and portrayed both efforts as a political "witch hunt." He has pressed Republicans to impeach Biden.

Aside from Trump, only two other presidents have been impeached: Bill Clinton in 1998 and Andrew Johnson in 1868. Richard Nixon resigned in 1974 as he faced an impeachment vote.

"The bar for impeachment seems to get lower and lower every year," said Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski.

Public opinion polling has shown many Americans believe Hunter Biden has received special treatment. An August Reuters/Ipsos poll found only 49% of respondents said it was "believable" that Hunter Biden's legal problems were independent of his father's service as president.

Additional reporting by Moira Warburton, Jason Lange and David Morgan; writing by Andy Sullivan; Editing by Will Dunham, Scott Malone and Daniel Wallis

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/to...y-calls-biden-impeachment-inquiry-2023-09-12/

2. astros123

astros123 Member

We literally have 100+ pages of braindead conspiracies in the other thread. You really didn't need a new thread when there's literally no new evidence

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Stay your ass in the corner and let me do what I do. Your services are not needed at this time in this thread.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Obligatory for me...

Xerobull and Xopher like this.
  5. astros123

astros123 Member

I'll post wherever i wanna post. You can put me on ignore like I tell others. I genuinely don't give a ****

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

for what?

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

As House Republicans took steps to open an impeachment inquiry targeting the President, Donald J. Trump called Joe Biden “pathetic” for needing his son Hunter’s help to get impeached.

“What kind of a man relies on his son to get impeached?” Trump said. “Joe Biden is a disgrace.”

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to a vote, will be interesting to see which direction so-called "moderate" Republicans swing - they are the ones getting screwed the worst by this temper tantrum. Equuvocation is their raison d'etre.

#8 Ottomaton, Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Way to goose Biden's approval rating you dinguses.

No Worries likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He has lied consistently enough about his son and that laptop that it makes sense to start an inquiry. For the sake of our country, I hope he is clean.

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He's cleaner than that greasy asswipe you voted for. I understand why you did it, but man I could have never done it myself. :cool:

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would have thought this would begin with a vote. Hopefully we learn Joe Biden used his political connections to blackmail Russia into finding dirt on the Trumps.

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/12/mccarthy-biden-impeachment-inquiry

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday announced he is directing a trio of House committees to open an impeachment inquiry into President Biden.

Why it matters: The unilateral move is an apparent reversal of McCarthy's previous statement that a House vote would be held to launch such a probe.

• It's an escalation of the House Oversight and Judiciary Committee investigations into the business dealings of Biden's son, Hunter.
    • Launching a formal probe gives Republicans added subpoena powers, McCarthy said in August

Andre0087 likes this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This is all republican theatrics.

With even less to no evidence, the Republicans just want to do a sham impeachment inquiry, watch it fail and use it as political ammo to slander the democratics and normalize "impeachment" as a weapon instead of a tool to punish actual wrong doing.

Watch for future President's the Republicans will b doing this sht just for shts and giggles

VooDooPope likes this.
  14. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

McCarthy was strong armed by the far right group in the House. Man, does he look like a b**** or what? Does the guy have any power at all?

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have been saying it since 1975.

Joe Biden needs to be impeached.

Never thought I would see that day in my lifetime.

Rashmon likes this.
  16. Beezy

Beezy Member

How the turntables.

17. HTM

HTM Member

Good. Let’s have an inquiry. Hunter Biden being paid millions by foreign companies while his father was Vice President for no apparent good reason is suspicious as hell to any fair minded person.

If the inquiry turns up nothing, no further action is needed.

Nothing wrong with looking into this.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The Senate is never going to vote to convict President Biden. This is all a huge waste of time (just like the Clinton and Trump impeachments). No one who supports Biden is going to turn against him because of the impeachment. No one who opposes Biden is going to support him after the impeachment. There will not be 18 Democrats (or Independents that caucus with Democrats) voting to convict Biden, so the whole process is doomed from the start.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This is a bad idea .... it won't end well for either party.

edwardc likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think this will make much of a difference. It probably might help Biden a bit.

This is just a bone tossed by McCarthy to Gaetz and etc.. I don’t think he believes anything will come of it.

edwardc likes this.