1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The impact of the cost of food to your food spending habits?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

How has the cost of food changed how you buy food, either at the grocery store, going out, and/or whatever?

It's amazing how little you get for the money these days. I'm just kind of tired of how expensive groceries are currently. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I've personally started this thing where I'm trying to eat just one meal a day now with a reasonable portion where I'm not overeating but just enough to fill up to where I'm not hungry. Basically, just eat dinner. Maybe some very light snacking earlier in the day with veggies, nuts or something. You and I know we all have a tendency to eat when we're not hungry or eat more in one sitting than is really necessary. I also will drink more water. I buy sports drinks and I'll dilute them way down in water just so I don't get bored with plain water and have some taste. I'm also kind of looking for healthier options now with less processed foods and more vegetables. I'm starting to assemble healthy recipes and cook at home more. For example, I've always been interested in making Chinese Chicken and Brocolli at home as I love it when I buy it out. But, I want it to be as authentic as possible. So, I'll fork over the extra money to buy the supplies for the sauce...like rice wine, sesame oil, oyster sauce, and premium dark soy sauce. And, then I'm going to start making this recipe once a week since I've collected the key base ingredients. And, I'll serve with brown rice. I'll probably end up adding more fish to my diet but seafood prices are pretty unbelievable so I'll probably go to Costco and buy some frozen fish in bulk. I'd like to eat more fish and veggies...which is something I don't really do before. Buying in bulk gets you more for the money by weight but you do end up spending more initially obviously.

Before, I liked to eat sandwiches but those deli meats are ridiculously expensive for what you get now. So, I've been more inclined to just buy a whole store rotisserie chicken and break that down to a pile of meat to eat that for three or four days. I've been making chicken enchiladas and chicken salad with it. It doesn't make sense to me to spend $10 on a pound of deli turkey when I can buy a whole cooked chicken for $9 with more meat on it.

I'm also cutting down on the sweet tooth type of stuff. I do find it necessary to indulge the cravings but just a few pieces or small serving of something daily.

As far as eating out, obviously that's a big way to cut costs is to cut that out. But, a chinese takeout dish or two can last three or four days if you portion it out...so that's still on the menu when you don't want to cook. I'm not really a hamburger or even much of a beef guy any more. I would like to eat veggie burgers but those are expensive for what you get. Sometimes, I do turkey burgers. I would also like to explore eating more tofu.

I don't really have to do cost-cutting measures but I think everyone is looking to save more in these times. I really do want to try to stick to this one-meal-a-day program to stretch my food out longer. I'll see how it goes. So far, I don't really feel hungry. I made some turkey spaghetti yesterday that I plan to eat for four or five days...just one reasonable plate portion per day.

I know it's probably more complicated for some of you but just wondering if you are doing anything? Maybe I can pick up some new things from you'll to try?

#1 Surfguy, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Houstunna, gatsby, Kate81 and 5 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I haven’t really changed anything…sometimes I pass on buying cherries because they range from $4.98 a pound to like $6.97, but I still buy whatever when I go to the grocery store

I guess I’ve become less wasteful tho…I’ve had a bad habit of doing stuff like buying salmon, chicken breast, etc and then not cooking it or putting it in the freezer within 2 days, so I end up having to toss it

main thing I’ve always struggled with is eating at least the daily recommended amount of vegetables each day…the past year or so, I’ve just been adding spinach to different smoothies I make at home, but Idk how to consistently incorporate other types of veggies

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That reminds me...I need to incorporate protein shakes and fruit/veggie smoothies back in. Probably a great way to start the day.

Also, if any of you have any seafood or fish recipes (like with Salmon) that are absolutely to die for, then please share.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I haven't changed much, but we have a farm next to us (about 50 acres of veggies) that we have emphasized picking from even more, because that doesn't cost us a dime.

Surfguy likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

last time I made salmon, I used this seasoning rub recipe minus the lemon zest and thyme

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/salmon-seasoning/#wprm-recipe-container-201963

it was pretty good

cmoak1982 and Surfguy like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Theft is no solution. :(

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Lol

Gentleman's agreement. About 12 acres of that farm is mine.

AroundTheWorld, cmoak1982 and Deckard like this.
  8. Roscoe Arbuckle

I enjoy cooking things that I know I'll eat for a few days. Trying this recipe out right now.

Buck Turgidson, Deckard and Surfguy like this.
  9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

For groceries we still basically get whatever we want but we were also already fairly frugal. And don't generally buy a bunch of snacks every week.

The only thing that changed is how we approach eating out. We don't do Uber eats anymore and that has led to us being more conscious about if we really want outside food or if we're just being lazy. We rarely just go grab food, we make sure we enjoy the night out.

I'm pretty good about optimizing costs on other stuff though. So, I just make sure I'm getting the cheapest deal on all other bills and it's fine.

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Uber Eats has gotten ridiculous with the upcharging

the prices are already higher than what’s on the restaurant’s menu, then after the service fee, delivery fee, whatever other charge they have, tax, and tip, you’re paying at least double…and I tip well too so something that might be $10 ends up being at least $25

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Uber Eats, DoorDash, etc. have always pretty much been rip-offs. Don't give in! You can actually go get a nice meal or 2 or 3 for the price of that Chick-fil-A you just paid $20+ for. lol. I tried DoorDash once and said not a chance in hell I do that again (unless I'm out of town and don't know the area and it's late).

Reeko likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

No.

Treat your producers right.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I also prefer the chain of custody when it comes to my food to be as short as possible.

Dr of Dunk, Blatz and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Roscoe Arbuckle

Took way too long and was too gingery. I would tweek and make again though. I also need to toast the sesame seeds.

Not worth the time in comparison to other dishes I've made.

[​IMG]

15. Buck Turgidson

Random supplements? They're healthy, why?

But frozen fruits from the Americas for your smoothies. Avoid most everything, and all proteins, from Asia.

16. Buck Turgidson

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don’t buy the groceries and just pay the CCs off in full monthly, so no impact.

I will suggest attacking the root of the issue: salary compression due to inflation and job market. Create a raise proposal based on your job duties, performance and market value. If your company doesn’t agree, they’re either cheap or haven’t adjusted. Get a new job- there are so many. If you run your own business, adjust to higher pricing.

#18 Xerobull, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No change really because the kids drive most of the cost. The youngest is nearly 1 so giving him regular food and milk as opposed to the jarred baby food and formula will actually bring in a lot of savings. Another reason for no change (yet) is because I am already very frugal when it comes to food (except for meat) so there isn't much I can do to lessen the bill.

It might happen for us, especially because we will be down to one income in about 6 months or so and that will last for about 18 months, but as of right now we are just pushing forward as is.

20. dmoneybangbang

No change except being more mindful of waste. Was doing a lot more uber eats in 2020/2021, which I've stopped all together as it's just gotten unreasonable.

Houstunna likes this.