1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Game Awards and PlayStation Experience Event Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Dec 5, 2014.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Confused? Don't be. Basically, lots of new game stuff will be coming out over the next few days. The Game Awards (TGA) is basically the yearly video game show we get every year, though it might be a little more...respectable this year:
    http://thegameawards.com/

Playstation Experience is an event (or series of events) Sony is putting on for this weekend:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945049

Some early news might start to hit today. Street Fighter 5 has just been announced for PS4 and PC:
    http://a.pomf.se/ohkntf.mp4
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945721

I might add some more details that already came out due to hints, leaks, early announcements, etc., but that's about all that you need to know for now.

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Kiefer Sutherland is supposed to be at the Game Awards tonight. Maybe we will get a release date for MGSV.

And I can post the stream schedule for the PSX event when I get home tonight unless someone else wants to go ahead and do it.

3. RC Cola

4. Swishh

Swishh Member

Meh, I'm expecting another over-hyped Sony conference.

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

The best part is the hype. But then there is the hangover of disappointment :(

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If SF5 is truly only on PS4 + PC, I'd say that's a pretty big announcement already.

7. RC Cola

I was pleasantly surprised by TGA last night. Geoff Keighley seemed to take over the production of the show, and you could tell the change in direction. It still has some problems, including some pretty major technically difficulties, but they can be ironed out over time. Still, the direction of the show is much better than in previous years. The only real legitimate complaint I see is about how the show still focuses WAY too much on new reveals vs actual awards (important awards are just handed out, as if they were just a side-note). Then again, many of us were just watching because of the reveals, but still. I did love the Ben and Roberta Williams segment. :)

Enough talk, where are the trailers?
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/amno3GrIrZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MCIbXBhJAG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dPyepUMD7Lc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From the Gone Home Devs:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_saQRvy5sQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KtEO2xZ7BzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    (FYI, CDPR confirmed someone other than Geralt would be playable...hmm I wonder who? ;))

From the dev behind Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xf_paLKQbPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New King's Quest!
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MeV3PBY5Efg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rY1XP5YNrQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5GLIZCd854w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1VCA17t0rts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WQhSP82uhY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hf19Gd1otgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I tried to get most of them, though I'm sure I missed some. MS was mostly a no-show, hence not much stuff for XBO. The show was mostly for indies, some big multiplatform games, Nintendo, and a little bit of Sony (teasing for the events today and tomorrow).

A little over an hour and a half until the PS keynote for this weekend's events.

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

That Dying Light trailer surprised me by being more story-focused than I expected the game to be. Can't decide if I like it or not. I loved the hell out of the original Dead Island, and also liked Mirror's Edge quite a bit. So I suppose I was assuming and hoping that Dying Light would be a big sandbox that combined the two concepts. I hope the story doesn't turn it into too linear of an experience.

No Man's Sky looks wicked. The new King's Quest seemed to come out of nowhere (I guess there'll be gameplay that isn't just point-and-click, by the looks)?

Tacoma and Adr1ft both amuse me in that they both seem to be trying to crib off of Gravity at the same time. Oops.

Bloodborne looks awesome like always.

9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

These Sony conferences never start on time...

10. RC Cola

I'm strongly tempted to boycott all future Square-Enix releases.

That might not even be difficult to do.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Why?

Btw this Conference was pretty underwhelming.

12. RC Cola

"Hey guys, remember FF7 for the PS1? Guess what we're working on for PS4...*queue trailer*...that's right, a port of the original game! See you guys later!"

It's like he went on stage, just to troll gamers. If he presented something else, it might have made more sense. It is a weird company.

Then again, the Persona 5 tease was pretty annoying too. Ugh, twice in one show. :(

And yeah, nothing crazy, as with most conferences. Lots of games shown, as Sony has done previously, but generally smaller, indie games. I love them, but this was lacking some sort of major game reveal. I guess SF5 could have been that, but that would have still been disappointing (IMO anyway...not for others I guess).

On the plus side, I love me some Bloodborne and No Man's Sky.

13. Swishh

Swishh Member

lol, yet another over-hyped Sony conference. Glad I didn't watch it. Just read through the overview of what they showed. Nothing notable aside from the Uncharted 4 gameplay. The rest were a bunch of indies (sony's favorite) and games we already knew about.

There were some new stuff shown as well, but nothing worthy of all the hype for this event.

14. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Man I was freaking the **** out when that FF7 logo showed up on screen. That was probably the worst troll in the history of video games. The guy that was presenting was SO excited about it too that I thought it was finally happening...alas :(

But yeah Bloodborne is looking sweet. Can't wait to see it in true form playing it on console. And the co-op looks fun.

And that uncharted gameplay tho...mayne hold up. Day one

That had some other nice things. I remember seeing The Forest when it came out on PC and I'm excited to give it a try finally on the PS4

15. RC Cola

Not sure if there's a better summary of events, but there's this NeoGAF thread:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=946750
    Some links in the thread for the demos.

BTW, this might have been missed, but this wasn't a one-time event. It sounds like Sony will do this every year. So if you didn't go this time, I guess you can make plans to go in future years.

I kinda like having another conference in the year. Nintendo already does their "Direct" events (plus others), and I think MS might be planning something as well. We have E3, GC, TGS, VG awards, and now these shows to get game news. It's bad in some ways because you get results like this show (i.e., not a lot of "megatons"), but I do like some of the smaller announcements and seeing updates to certain games.

16. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

What...just read about the free games EA was giving away on PSN for yesterday only. You failed me RC...please commit seppuku.

Could've had PVZ and Mirrors Edge for free. :(