1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The difference between Harden and superstars

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Senator, May 12, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's probably why he made that comment this year, and not last year...

I "think" you're comment is really to the point of "maybe next year" or the "next year" because guys can turn it around.

And... obviously.

I'm not sold on his comment in the first place. Lillard was NOT GOOD against Denver, on the whole, and his game 7 was atrociously bad... but that will be forgotten because of CJ. But that's probably a better argument than he was bad before this year.

JayGoogle likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

and did that stop them from coming back and learning. nope. its a process. they've obviously took their experiences and even without their starting big, him and cj have grown into players that want to thrive in the big moments. we've already seen lillard isn't afraid of it before but now cj is coming into his own.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Cj was primarily was the reason but lillard definitely had some moments where he came up big for portland yesterday

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The point real is 1 out of your mind game to win a crucial playoff game is better than 0.

Harden is at 0 and I doubt it changes when he's over 30. Hope I'm wrong but you can only carry so much water for the guy.

5. JayZ750

I mean, he rebounded and assisted without turning the ball over. But 3-17 is 3-17. His biggest impact was recognizing that and letting CJ do his team while he was more of a classic PG. Plus Jamal sucked too, so maybe there is some defense there...

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

and the shots he made came at critical times. he struggled for most of the game yeah but still came up big when they needed it.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

Oh my god, you didnt even watch did you? OUR OFFENSE WAS FINE, it was the defense, good lord. Harden made the right plays.

8. mastan

mastan Member

Kawhi already proven his clutch with one ring ( final's MVP )..and he plays both sides of the court.

J Sizzle likes this.
  9. JayZ750

I definitely don't hold water for him myself, lol...

That said, narrative doesn't always reflect reality. Cause Harden has those games. The less "crucial" ones. See Game 1 against Minny last year. Game 4 against GSW in 2015 - probably his best playoff game ever and it was an elimination game. Game 3 this year was crucial, and he delivered.

But on the whole he has more flops and fizzes, in even more crucial games, and certainly doesn't have that "obvious", narrative creating playoff series, game or legacy.

Bear in mind, I've wanted to move on from Harden for 2 years - since SAS game 6....

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. gotsis

gotsis Member

This 100%.

I love Harden and think he is one of the best players of his generation, but he is too passive in some situations. Part of it is on the coach, by not ueging him to play faster, part is on him just always casually walking up the ball.

Game 5 Durant went down, any player should see it as a opportunity to kill them and Harden went in to a passive, pass out of traps situation, knowing CP3 and Capela were useless. I kind of wanted Harden to unload 40 shots that game after Durant went down, even if we lost, at least that would show some sense of urgency. Imagine if he got in to the set earlier, disrupting the try to trap (like Curry did a few times), that would be nice.

11. JayZ750

I mean, I guess 2 of his 3 makes came in the 4th. Harden scored what, 10 or 12 in the 4th? If any other "star" type player put up that performance, they'd be crucified... but for the win. And even with a win, we'd be saying, Harden just isn't a playoff performer, he needs a CP3.

Lillard is not criticized with the likes of real superstar players, but he's also not always valued like they are either. He's on that second tier, imo, which is fine.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

and lets not act like lillard hasnt had his share of carrying portland in this years playoff run.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Define "crucial playoff games" though. Because it sounds like you mean he has yet to carry his team in an upset over a favored opponent in a series.

He's had tons of huge playoff games. Lot of first round matchups, Clippers Game 7, Warriors Game 1-2 in 2015, Warriors Game 1 and 4 in 2018. The list is longer than most would like to acknowledge, and I understand he has some of the worst flame-outs you'll ever see that definitely color the perception of his playoff resume, and that is warranted, but it's unfair to say he's at zero.

And I also think the criticism is valid at this point. I'm done with the moral victories as well. I just want to be fair about it at the same time.

jordnnnn likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Again, stop comparing Harden to Hakeem. Harden is not Hakeem. There is a reason why Hakeem is a top 10 player of all time, the greatest Rocket ever, and the greatest C ever...

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

So you're saying it would be better if he had a fear of the big moment? o_O:confused:

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's more of the constant big games that overshadows everything else. and for good reason.

J Sizzle likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

he fears the big moments. that's why the post says that and killer instinct are the only things holding him back in the postseason

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm sorry but the title of this thread is outright dumb.

If it was "The Difference between Harden and OTHER superstars..." fine.

But as it is it implies that Harden is not a superstar player. Seriously, stop with the hyperbole and overreaction. If Harden were to be traded there would be 29 other teams interested and it would be a daily topic on ESPN. The guy has multiple commercials. Is the leading man for a shoe company. His games bring in high ratings.

On the court he's accomplished things that many of these so called superstars that everyone is rushing to put over him have yet to do.

People have to get over it at some point. It's hard winning rings, it's hard just getting to the finals, he didn't do it this year. Hakeem didn't do it until he was 31. Let's hope the Rockets fix their team, fill their holes, and things break better for us next year.

HP3 likes this.
  19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Harden is not the problem. He's taken on a load that would crack most. Give him better more talented teammates besides Tucker's grit and hustle to work with. The Warriors had so much officiating help at critical moments maybe that was too much to overcome.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Not when 3 pt shooting is factored, or fouls. A better metric is PPSA (Points per shot attempt).

You could get foulded on every shot, miss them all because of it, yet score 2 pts on free throws each possession, as well as put the rest of your team in the bonus, AND put all their players in foul trouble. Where does all that show up in just FG%?