1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The declining quality in NBA refs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gakatron, Dec 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Now this could be in NBA dish but as i'm discussing points mainly in the Mavs game I will throw it in here. I know that some of the senior refs are getting a rest and replacements called up but after all the bad PR refs have got lately you would think they would be trying to improve their image. Instead just from this game alone you get such stupidity as the following.

- 8 Minutes taken to 'review' a play. Players should not have to wait around for 8 minutes, if you want more people to watch the game why on earth would you be taking 8 minutes to sit around reviewing one play?

- Jason Kidd not being ejected for something that is worthy of suspension. They reviewed it so they had to know he intended to do what he did.... yet just a T for Kidd.

- The fact flops are being rewarded more and more.... yet legit fouls are often missed.

I'm certainly not saying we only get the bad ones, we got some calls that were not there tonight. However with all the money it has and the thousands of refs all around the world, why is it they are currently so bad?

2. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

3. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

i'd say the refs do a good job generally trying to make it a close game,
    and pulling for the home team.

its awful what they can do to AB at the end of games.
    AB scores at will until they are allowed to slap the ball away by knocking his arm, or just simply push him over by tagging his hip. terrible to see.

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Donaghy is RIGHT.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Refs are intimidated in Utah and Dallas. Utah because of their fans and Dallas because of Cuban.

6. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

That should have been a flagrant 2 and he should have been ejected for that bull crap. Having that said I though the reffs were a lot better than the last game against denver.

7. jason86976253

jason86976253 Member

lol~we probably pay the ref, the last minute play that reject dampier just laugh my ass off. :cool:

8. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

One of our points was taken away, seems like the officials can go back and review if a foot was on the line. Didn't we have an earlier game where our opponent was awarded a three, even though the replay clearly showed it being a two? Bullard kept saying they would take that point away, but then we were told they couldn't review that play. Can somebody explain?

9. Turpis

Turpis Member

I watched the game on ILP and it was Dallas TV. So, after Kidd hit Andersen, the camera showed the refs only talking on the middle of the court. They didn't review the play. They were just talking. On chat a lot of guys (and one gal) were commenting about that (cause FSNHouston showed it) but me and one other guy didn't see replay of that play and that play wasn't reviewed by the refs. That's why they didn't call nothing on him (except PF).

10. Turpis

Turpis Member

Also I think I noticed one strange thing about that Lowry 3 point play (which happened to be 2)

I don't know the exact time this happened, but when Lowry hit that 3 pointer, the scorebox updated it as a 2. So let's say score was 80 for Rockets (should've been 81). After the timeout when they reviewed it, suddenly it became 79. They counted it as 1 point play. Maybe cause i haven't slept in 20 hours, but tomorrow I'm watching the game again and that play. It was suspicious.

11. PeppermintCandy

I always felt NBA games are the hardest to officiate fairly, because of the speed of the game, all the physical contact within a small amount of space, and the relative high number of fouls called compared to other sports. It just allows for a lot of subjectivity to seep in, and these refs are only human.

I think the real problem is that the NBA "powers that be" don't do enough to deal with this subjectivity. Instead, they seem to try to compensate by ordering the refs to call certain games differently, such as the reported mandate to start calling fewer charges and more blocking fouls. This just confirms the subjectivity of the officiating and makes bigger skeptics out of fans.

I think you're talking about when Lowry had a 3 changed to a 2. The refs looked at it again and found he was stepping on the line when he took the shot.

12. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

I'd rather wait a long time for them to get the right call than to live with knowing that the wrong call was made.

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I thought the refs were working hard tonight and doing their best. They definitely missed Kidd's flagrant. But it evened out a bit on Dampier's second tech. They called a decent game, I thought.

14. MattM

MattM Member

signed.

15. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

I'm all for making the right call. But 8 minutes? It was clear after the first replay it should be a flagrant on Brooks.

16. ibm

ibm Member

how was it a flagrant on ab? that was NORMAL foul. (otherwise yao should shoot 20 ft's just for the flagrant's.)

17. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

It felt like a NFL game tonight with all the stoppages and instant replays...

18. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

The preseaon refs were way better. I wish these guys would go back on strike.

19. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

There are certain refs that act as if the players are their subordinates. They just give the impression that they are the king on the court. I hate those

20. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Oh yeah?

Regards,

Joey "Freak'n" Crawford