1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Counter-Protesters of Charlottesville

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is a significant difference between OC bombing and 9/11. One has a very specific target. The other just wants to kill as many innocent people as possible. I do not fear white supremacists in Times Square or Pikes Place Market. Anti-Fa and BLM, while violent, are not terrorists. I dont like when one muddles the water by comparing Islamic inspired terrorism to domestic terrorism and/or violence. Sadly the word terrorism has been twisted and misconstrued to fit ones agenda.

Im not directing this towards you, just speaking in general. We already have a perpetuated narrative that a turban wearing dark skinned person could be a terrorist. We really shouldn't expand on this logic and start suspiciously eyeing any right leaning person as a potential domestic terrorist.

As a nation, we are failing on a couple important issues. The first is as a nation, we need to start speaking out against any violence and stop turning a blind eye to the narrative that suits our beliefs. Both sides are very guilty of this. Secondly, we need to stop giving extremist groups a platform. White supremacy is not sweeping the nation and we really need to stop pretending it is. All the media is doing is emboldening them to be bigger asshats.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"Never believe something is true because you hope it's true" - Tyrion Lannister

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

4. cml750

cml750 Member

I haven't seen a single right leaning person even suggest that there is anything good about the Nazi / white supremacist. I do however see a lot of naive left leaning people who think the Antifa are the "good guys". Either these people are so caught up in their massive echo chamber they have lost all ability to think rationally or they have moved to the batcrap crazy side of the far left. I suspect we have some of both on this site.

durvasa and Astrodome like this.
  5. fchowd0311

Maybe because Antifa is far more benign and morally on a higher ground than Nazism and that's why more posters here are comfortable with stating that they sympathize with the core goals of Antifa but disagree with their means. Haven't seen any posters who agree with their vigilantism and rioting but I'm sure many normal moderate people agree that being antifacist is a good thing.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As has already been pointed out, you are not correct about this. It is simply an economic system. It isn't inherently evil even if you disagree with it.

It was the totalitarian governments instituting communism in some cases that were responsible for killing millions. But it was the totalitarianism and not the communism that was behind those killings.

The fact that I have to spell this out to you is again why I need to point out how ridiculous it is to paint a false equivalency between Anti-fa and neo-Nazis.

7. adoo

adoo Member

Mother of Woman Killed by the White Supremacists scoffs at Trump's falsely equating the the white supremacist w counter protesters.

"my daughter was a counter-protester at Charlottesville,
    she was killed by a White Supremacists"

On Monday, after hearing the President condemning the KKK, Nazis and other White Supremacist, i thank him.
    Then on Tuesday, he falsely equated the the demonstrators and the counter-protesters.

She scoffed at Trump’s claim that violence on “both sides” led to her daughter’s death, adding that any fights between marching racists and counter-protesters were “irrelevant” because her daughter, Heather Heyer, was simply peacefully protesting when she was brutally mowed down.

"Whether there was violence on both sides or not is irrelevant," "The guy mowed my daughter down and, sorry, that’s not excusable."
    “I’ve had death threats already ... because of what I’m doing right this second, scoffing at Trump's false claim"

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ather-heyer-says-she-s-received-death-n793691

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mother-wom...lle-interest-speaking-trump/story?id=49283310

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If the news stopped race baiting, then we wouldn't be having these discussions.

An extremely large portion of the population isn't racist. I'm talking upper 90's.

cml750 likes this.
  9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Oh, so this is your tactic- all those kids shouting anti-fascist slogans in Charlotteville were all communists. Talk about a strawman.

Can anyone point me to a video of the anti-fascists in Charlottesville shouting communist slogans? Handing out communist pamphlets promoting communism? A hammer and sickle flag or even a tshirt? Something? (And finding one or two kids with a Che tshirt doesn't prove the point.)

10. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

My problem is not the vast majority of conservatives who are repelled by Nazis. My problem is the majority of conservatives who will hem and haw and duck and dodge and search for false equivalence when faced with Nazis within their voting pool.

That, and the ****ing president of the United States doing so.

If the president had simply condemned Nazis right away, and if conservatives at large could do so without wiggling around for excuses why the other side is equally bad, then this story wouldn't have legs for so long. But it does.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

These pictures are out there.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Antifa is not even a "communist" group. They have no stated political agenda, apart from militant opposition to fascism.

Here is an actual communist critique of Antifa to further the point:

https://itsgoingdown.org/antifa-critical-notes/

zksb09 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. fchowd0311

Do people like you ever draw out logical trees to your assertions and premises?

So what if there were pro-communist individuals at the protest? Communism is a amoral economic system that states the means of production and how it is distributed. I really cannot judge someone's moral character on them just supporting a certain economic system even if I disagree with said economic system.

I can make plenty of assumptions in regards to one's moral character if they are self-labeled Nazis because Nazism makes actual moral claims on how to treat and perceive other humans that are not like you.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He asked a question and I said pictures are out there. No reason for all that ^

15. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Here is a description of one Antifa group that I ran across on the Internet. They are self described rednecks and quite a bit left of center
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/11/redneck-revolt-guns-anti-racism-fascism-far-left

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I said that AntiFa are Communists....because they are a communist group. It would be similar to calling a Nazi group a bunch of Nazis....even if they are protesting something else, they are still Nazis. Why is this hard for you simple minded people to grasp? It really is pathetic.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anti-Fa isn't actually specifically communist group. I think @durvasa posted a nice article about it.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can say it all you like, but you'll still be wrong. I get that your ideology isn't all that different from Communism and as such you feel the need to defend them, but straight up lying on their behalf isn't going to get you very far.

To properly implement Marxist ideology you are to violently overthrow the government, Marx was specifically against any non-violent method. There's simply no way to argue that it's not a violent ideology....and the body count is proof of that.

cml750 likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I mean, it is. Again, you guys lying about it just shows why someone here needs to bring some reality into the conversation.

Some are Marxist, some are Anarcho-Communists, but AntiFa is a Communist group and there's no way around it.

cml750 likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

How many communist democracies are you aware of?

I understand what you are saying, but the reality is that history has shown that communism is dangerous.

cml750 likes this.